Lightweight Tarp

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Delv4

Lightweight Tarp

Post by Delv4 »

Hit me up with recommendations for a Lightweight Tarp, small pack size, waterproof, windproof etc

I tried using the search but no results returned because tarp is too common a search term
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Lightweight Tarp

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What size do you want? Standard 1 person size tends to be around 2.4m x 1.5m(ish). Alpkit R!G 3.5 and DD Superlight are popular choices.

Also maybe look at the Rab Siltarps or if you want to go lighter, perhaps a cuben tarp from Marc at Trekkertent?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

yes sorry, 1 person + luggage
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Seatosummit Ponchotarp is okay. Well, more than okay.
I often use it on solo trips and trips with my girlfriend or mate.
Tie ins in the right places and works really well as a poncho for hiking/lightweight backpacking (also in wind, since its got poppers in the right places), if that's something you do too.

https://seatosummit.com/product/ultra-sil-tarp-poncho/
RIP

Post by RIP »

"1 person" isn't quite specific enough unfortunately - head+body coverage, full coverage in drizzle, totally weatherproof? Want to 'live' under it or just kip under it?

For totally weatherproof and liveable and super light - Trekkertent cuben 8x10 I reckon. Also doesn't wet out so excellent when packing. Unfortunately as Stu will say cuben does not take up (much) less packed space than silnylon. Oh, and... obviously.. ker-CHING!!!.

My Trekkertent 9x7 (195g) is fine in drizzle or even gentle rain but needs a showercurtain (or two) adding in a downpour.

Or could Stu make a spinnaker one...
Last edited by RIP on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Packability: Silnylon is bulkier than cuben fibre is bulkier than silpoly but there isn't much in it.

Weight: Cuben fibre is lighter than silpoly is lighter than silnylon

Silnylon stretches more when wet, silpoly stretches very little, cuben fibre basically not at all.

I've an Alpkit Rig3.5 (silnylon 2.4x1.2m)and a Trekkertent cuben fibre tarp (2.5x1.5m). Either would suffice for your needs. Obviously the Trekkertent is over twice the price of the Alpkit. Add one or two of Stu's carbon poles and you'd be ready to go.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

Thanks all
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

As an alternative can I be cheeky and suggest one of the wee tents my son sells? The outer alone is 500g plus pole and the inner only 300g for when the midges are about. He is doing them for £99 just now. Obviously you could sleep with the door open for a more outdoor feel! It's made of 15d silnylon.
https://www.weirdosonbikes.com/product/ ... -man-tent/