Helvellyn avoiding striding edge?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Helvellyn avoiding striding edge?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Much to my shame, I really don't know the Lakes very well at all - apology over.

When restrictions allow we need to scatter Dee's sisters ashes on Helvellyn as was her wish. I imagine a few folk may want to be present who are not big walkers, may not be young or very fit. I'm not suggesting for a minute encouraging someone into the mountains who isn't capable but my question is - easiest way up that avoids owt nasty?

Ta.
May the bridges you burn light your way
99percentchimp

Re: Helvellyn avoiding striding edge?

Post by 99percentchimp »

Either park on the side of Thirlmere (couple of car parks) and a walk up via Lower Man (from the west) or via Glenridding past YH and mines and Whiteside/Lower Man (from the east, with a more defined path)...... both best part of 700m climbs if you are going to the top.

From experience, check the wind direction and gusts/swirls before scattering... obvious I know but!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
yeha

Post by yeha »

Straight up from the car park on the east side of Thirlmere?
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S.Eliot.
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

I wouldn't be too put off by Striding Edge, there are a number of paths lower down however there is a steep and loose scramble to get up on to Helvellyn proper.

The alternative approach from Glenridding is fairly accesible if you go up Greenside Road to the old mine and then follow the old pony track to climb up on to the ridge from Raise.

Another nice loop is to start in Patterdale, and walk up via Grizedale Tarn and then on Helvellyn, could can then descend the way I've described above and walk back up the road from Glenridding.

Wytheburn Church and Grasmere also make reasonable routes up but are a bit steeper as I remember.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Park up at Swirls car park halfway along the east side of Thirlmere http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=331682 ... &A=Y&Z=120 and head up from there. As stated it's quite a height gain.

The other option is from Wythburn http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=332524 ... &A=Y&Z=120but it's a bit steeper for the lower section.

The climb up from Glenridding ends up going over Helvellyn Lower Man's north ridge which is a bit rough and steep but it's not scrambling so you can keep hands in pockets. .
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

whitestone wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:42 am The climb up from Glenridding ends up going over Helvellyn Lower Man's north ridge which is a bit rough and steep but it's not scrambling so you can keep hands in pockets. .
The sign of a good walk :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Alternate.... start from Patterdale - flat walk up Grisedale (enjoy the view of St. Sunday crag on your left) - armoured path up to Nethermost Pike (or take the path to Grisedale tarn and add in Dollywaggon) - turn right - enjoy the ridge out to Helveylnn - then if feelings allow, easy descent down Swirrel Edge and Catstye Cam to Red Tarn - cross over the SW side of Birkhouse Moor through the Hole in the Wall - then descend/contour down to Patterale via Grisedale.

One of the classic walking/running loops in the area.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The Glenridding side gives you more options to regroup easily afterwards, but I'd avoid the edges. For something like that you really don't want to put anyone in an uncomfortable position

I've walked down from the top to Wythburn church (next to Thirlmere). It's not technical at all and would be a straightforward walk, steep though.

If you're accompanied by those less keen on the outdoors it might be worth flagging that it's a strenuous walk to the top, it's no small hill. The view from the top when clear is outstanding though. There's a summit shelter to pause at when you get to the top
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Up the side to the YHA - also has the advantage that the least fit can be dropped off there to get a head start and the rest can walk from the bottom - any vehicle will get up that it not really a track and is tarmacced all the way iirc- might be gravel at the very top I forget.

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=3 ... 17415&lm=0

It takes about 2 hours with the bike - not sure what it will be on foot up Sticks pass but would not expect it to be that much different
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Suggesting going up Helvellyn via Dollywaggon ho ho ho.

Thirlmere for the easier routes.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Not being funny, but did she specify the top? It's a long way up for non walkers and the summit is fairly dull and busy. There are some lovely spots on either flank, but particularly above Wythburn Church on the west. Perhaps walk up as a group and decide amongst yourselves when you reach a suitable point? Someone could always carry on with the remainder to the summit? That west side gets the afternoon sun, sunsets etc and is a lot less busy.
There's a description of the walk and some pics here https://petebuckley.wordpress.com/2016/ ... rn-church/
The route is a BW and makes a cracking descent
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not being funny, but did she specify the top?
I'm not actually sure but you're right - I'd happily carry on to the summit if others preferred to wait lower down.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:31 pm Up the side to the YHA - also has the advantage that the least fit can be dropped off there to get a head start and the rest can walk from the bottom - any vehicle will get up that it not really a track and is tarmacced all the way iirc- might be gravel at the very top I forget.

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=3 ... 17415&lm=0

It takes about 2 hours with the bike - not sure what it will be on foot up Sticks pass but would not expect it to be that much different

I think Jon is talking about this (red arrow from YHA going west) Stu and its the option I would take. Definelty give Sticks pass a miss and come back the same way. That's what we did in 2015 (I must've walked alot of sections of Sticks Pass as that's what I had to do in 2020).

In 2020 we followed the black arrow as per a guide from MBR. You definitely don't want to be walking up that way with many folks that might get too tired. It's nasty (well it was with the HAB we had to endure and some sections felt almost vertical... but weren't).

So... via Glenridding and back the same way is what I'd be doing...
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I'd agree with the above posters about going up from Glenridding, past the YHA.
I walked it with my girlfriend (who has never done any hillwalking before) and she was fine with it. Mostly a land rover track, not too steep anywhere really