Anyone else only eat once a day?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

tobasco

Re: Anyone else only eat once a day?

Post by tobasco »

Under the age of about 30 I could and did eat massive amounts, always been lucky as it had little effect on my weight. As I got older I unconsciously cut consumption, thank F*, otherwise it was bound to have caught up.

A few years ago I read about the benefits of fasting/diet restriction, so experimented - no intake between 8pm and 8am, and one day a week kept below 600 calories. Smoothies for breakfast - oats, spinach, banana, carrot, mixed seeds, few dates. Sets you up for the day. Got kiboshed in the summer when we got four hens, so many bloomin eggs that I have to have a poacher each day to avoid egg mountain.

Another experiment I played with was to jump on cycle trainer first thing in morning, having fasted 12 hours, see how far I could push before things stopped working. Who says lockdown is boring.

I find that on fasting days there’s a period of hunger I have to get through mid afternoon, then it gets easier. It’s a head game.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Not once a day (no way I'd be able to eat a big enough meal), but I've been doing intermittent fasting (18/6) for about a decade now.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Blimey, I barely manage to keep it as low as once an hour
Andiphim

Post by Andiphim »

I regularly do two weeks of 18/6 fasting and sometimes go 24hrs without eating.
Once I get past 8hrs without eating I find it quite easy to keep going. Then when I doo eat its not a massive meal.
I try not to eat too many carbs(sugar) so very little bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. I have plenty of meat, cheese, salad and green veg.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Those that fast for a day/24 hours etc, do you exercise on those days? Is it lower intensity or does exercise not change?
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:52 pm Those that fast for a day/24 hours etc, do you exercise on those days? Is it lower intensity or does exercise not change?
I’m okay with some exercise, but wouldn’t head out for a long walk, run or cycle in case the tank hit empty
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My next door neighbour did a 5 day fast last week as part of his church. He said the biggest thing he missed was not going out for a run
Andiphim

Post by Andiphim »

I have no problem with exercising any time during the first 12hours of a fast, after that I probably wouldn't do much more than walk the dog around the block.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

I always have breakfast and then have to eat every two or three hours or weight just falls off me. If I'm cycling or climbing I graze through the day, otherwise my energy quickly plummets. I once did a weeks winter climbing in Scotland and lost a stone even though I'd been eating the whole time.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:26 pm I know some people gasp in horror at the thought but I only really eat if I'm hungry and that usually means once a day and generally in the early(ish) evening. I might partake in a few nuts or a bit of cheese in the afternoon sometimes but in the main, I only eat a meal once every 24 hours.

Anyone else or am I really weird?
Nope!!! :-bd

But.....I think you've probably achieved (accidentally or intentionally?) the holy grail of only really eating to live (instead of the other way round.....or both).

Not saying you don't enjoy or love what you eat but it does sound like you've avoided all the bullsh1t emotional, psychological and other pitfalls surrounding reasons for eating above/beyond necessity.

I have not and it's a massive part of my daily f*¢kwittery and the challenge of getting/staying healthy.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

.I think you've probably achieved (accidentally or intentionally?) the holy grail of only really eating to live (instead of the other way round.....or both).
I'll admit that I'm really not a 'foodie' but there are things I like eating, I suppose it's that I can just as easily not bother. I do think that Dave is more than likely on to something when he mentioned the fags. Also (and aside), I think being a non-drinker probably helps with regard to maintaining a steady weight.
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

I seem to remember you really enjoying that overpriced and under-heated 'food' at that odd place the four of us stayed at on the TNR?
gairym

Post by gairym »

And absolutely, senseless empty beer calories on top of food makes literally no sense (except as a coping mechanism for dealing with the world).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I seem to remember you really enjoying that overpriced and under-heated 'food' at that odd place the four of us stayed at on the TNR?
I think that ranks as the worst meal I've not eaten :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

senseless empty beer calories
There's no such thing.
RIP

Post by RIP »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:04 pm
senseless empty beer calories
There's no such thing.
What IS an empty calorie anyway? A calorie is a unit of energy wherever it comes from. Not sure they're renowned for their lack of sense either :wink: . And saying beer is literally senseless except as a 'coping mechanism' is no different to saying, for example, a truffle or an exquisite strawberry is nothing except a 'body powering mechanism' :smile: . I like to take a dose of pleasure with my calories :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
gairym

Post by gairym »

I think you're reading too much into my statement.

I LOVE beer! I am obsessed by craft beer loveliness. Last night I took photos of a lovely 11.5% Imperial Coffee and Cocoa Stout I thoroughly enjoyed.

I started the Beerpacking Facebook and Instagram accounts, am a member of various beer appreciation groups AND have tried over 1000 different craft beers in the last four years.

I am not against beer.

BUT...I am against the way in which I (all too often) consume beer (and it's calories).

I count what I'm eating, try to stay within the boundaries of whichever approach I'm currently using to shift some weight and then...after a shitty day or a mistake at work or the kids having driven me to the point of insanity or Boris saying literally anything etc... I'll sink a few choice beverages on top of my daily calorie/point/carb-gram allowance and undo all my good work.

That's where I'm coming from with my previous statement.

About those 'beer calories' being above and beyond the calories I need for nutrition and health to the extent that they're too frequently detrimental to both.

(Sorry to hijack the thread Stu but this side chat is a subject I'm very interested in as it's a big part of why I'm stuck being overweight)
Last edited by gairym on Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I guess I'm lucky then that most beer consumption is limited to one small can maybe 2 or 3 days per week. FWIW I'm also enjoying Dryburghs Mocha Milk Stout. Seems like a nice adjunct to this time of year.
RIP

Post by RIP »

gairym wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:52 am I think you're reading too much into my statement.
Yes that is the case in retrospect. Apologies.

Onwards; let's eat, drink and be merry! Not easy in the current situation admittedly.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Onwards; let's eat, drink and be merry! Not easy in the current situation admittedly.
I believe many are finding the eating and drinking part very easy :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I count what I'm eating, try to stay within the boundaries of whichever approach I'm currently using to shift some weight and then...after a shitty day or a mistake at work or the kids having driven me to the point of insanity or Boris saying literally anything etc... I'll sink a few choice beverages on top of my daily calorie/point/carb-gram allowance and undo all my good work.
Sounds like your problem isn't beer, it's the things that "make" you drink it. I imagine you know that anyway :cool: Best of luck sorting that out :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:52 pm Those that fast for a day/24 hours etc, do you exercise on those days? Is it lower intensity or does exercise not change?
You can do very significant exercise when fastest (I've done 6 hour+ sessions), but you get fewer matches to burn.

Basically you'll be keeping your heart rate far lower as you're very much limited by the speed your body can convert fat into energy... which can be improved with training / adaptation, but will never be as fast as your body can provide energy from glycogen.

So definitely don't be doing hill repeats when fasted... unless you like feeling like death.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

unless you like feeling like death.
Weirdly, I quite like that feeling. I find it similar to the feeling I get if I ride through the night - a kind o other-worldly totally shagged sensation and although you feel like death, it also kind of makes you feel very much alive. :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Thanks for the responses, I remain unconvinced that it’s healthy (but then animals in the wild often dont eat for periods too).

Do people only do it for weight loss or other reasons*?

*lets assume religious reasons as a given
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:53 pm Thanks for the responses, I remain unconvinced that it’s healthy (but then animals in the wild often dont eat for periods too).

Do people only do it for weight loss or other reasons*?

*lets assume religious reasons as a given
Evidence isn't conclusive for now, but fasting supposedly has quite a few health benefits: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide ... ts-fasting

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/int ... 8062914156

I don't do it for that though, for me it's purely because I wouldn't be able to stop snacking otherwise. :lol: