Has anyone ever ridden owt with 36" wheels?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Has anyone ever ridden owt with 36" wheels?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Doesn't leave much clearance for a seat-pack.

May the bridges you burn light your way
99percentchimp

Re: Has anyone ever ridden owt with 36" wheels?

Post by 99percentchimp »

No but I'd love a go on one... I liked the move to bigger wheels (26" > 29" > 29"+). I reckon I'd still have 'some' room for a seat pack.

Rode a penny farthing at one of the Islabike weekends... that was the biggest (and simultaneously the smallest :wink: ) wheel I've ridden - comedy value from very flexy forks and a massive sense of jeopardy! Not the same obviously!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Didn’t shaquille O’Neil have a 36er made for him? He’s 7’1 and well north of 20 stone so it was in scale.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Ed Pratt rode around the world on one 36" wheel :lol:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

that looks hilarious, in a good way.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Is Gary Fisher advocating them? If not ...

Nah, I'd love to try one though I wonder what initial effort and gurning it would take to get it going :ugeek:

Are you asking because you can't reach the pedals on the test bike Stu?

:lol:
:wink:
:cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are you asking because you can't reach the pedals on the test bike Stu?
No but I probably couldn't. :grin: I saw it this morning and (a) thought it's the first 36er Gravel bike I'd seen and (b) wondered whether anyone had ridden one since the last time we mentioned them.
jameso

Post by jameso »

There's an interesting pinkbike podcast with Geoff Kabush where they talk about bigger wheels and testing, worth looking up. Basic q is where do you find the limit if 29" isn't it?

On the basis that weight is all that really matters in a wheel, not size itself since whatever concern there may be about a bigger wheel's weight being further from the hub cancels out because the larger wheel rotates slower at a given speed, for loaded off-roading a bigger wheel should be better. Is 10-20% more wheel weight a big problem Vs the benefits? Dunno. Interested.

Prob just axle/hub widths and tyres that get in the way, which is what the podcast highlights as a problem in testing.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Prob just axle/hub widths and tyres that get in the way, which is what the podcast highlights as a problem in testing.
I can see the potential for tyres but why axle / hub James? Can't they use the same as other sizes? Am I missing something very obvious? :wink:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:46 pm
I can see the potential for tyres but why axle / hub James? Can't they use the same as other sizes? Am I missing something very obvious? :wink:
Was thinking that you could build a 36er on current hub standards but I'm sure they'd be better wheels if they used wider hubs - though when I posted I didn't have fat bike standards in mind so no, you're not missing anything, I was :grin:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm generally of the more is more for wheels so I'd love to give one a proper shot. I'd never be an early adopter though as having been through the whole fat bike and 29+ scrabble for decent (or any) tyres, I'm not in a hurry to do that again!
Mart

Post by Mart »

good for riding up flights of stairs :-bd

https://youtu.be/fYt6IqaHk_Q

if you put 36er into youtube then loads comes up
2924 miles per Gallon
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

jameso wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:57 pm fat bike standards in mind so no, you're not missing anything, I was :grin:
Yep, Raceface crank on a 100 mm bb shell with a 197 mm rear doesn't lead to heal strokes in my case and I tend to stand a bit duck footed, yet when I shift my body rearwards I do often feel the seatstay on my calfs.

There's a small bike shop two villages away that has one of them 36". Riding past I mostly go slow and think about giving it a spin. Really should go and ask...
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:14 am
Yep, Raceface crank on a 100 mm bb shell with a 197 mm rear doesn't lead to heal strokes in my case and I tend to stand a bit duck footed, yet when I shift my body rearwards I do often feel the seatstay on my calfs.
You could probably do something clever with the seat stays because the width only needs to be at the hub, and not at the rim. However there’s still the problem of the front - is 150mm as wide as you can currently go up front?
jameso

Post by jameso »

AlasdairMc wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:24 am You could probably do something clever with the seat stays because the width only needs to be at the hub, and not at the rim. However there’s still the problem of the front - is 150mm as wide as you can currently go up front?
Yes, and the added width has to be further back from your feet / the BB compared to a regular bike due to the wheel OD and stay length.

150mm should be ok, a Jones has a 29 / 135mm front and that's so stiff, and a Boost 110mm is seen as sufficient for 29ers generally. You need ~170mm for the same spoke brace angle as a 29er + 135mm hub with a 36er rim, I doubt you'd be building a 36er for the same kind of riding you can get away with on a Jones .. but why not.

That pinkbike interview was with Travis Brown, not Geoff Kabush - here
Text https://www.pinkbike.com/news/interview ... heels.html
Sounds https://www.pinkbike.com/news/pinkbike- ... -size.html
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I rode a 36er for 10 minutes while at SSWC's in Ireland about 10 years back.
I think it was one from Blacksheep and it had a rip off thinner Jones fork on it.
It rode very smooth but the brake judder under braking was horrendous.
jameso

Post by jameso »

It rode very smooth but the brake judder under braking was horrendous.
A truss? How could you rip off a Jones fork / make a truss fork and still get bad braking judder? :grin: That takes some doing.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Next question - would anyone buy one if they could? The Slovakian one is £3k for a poor spec, and tyre choice seems limited in general. A niche too far?