Am i talking bollocks ? wool versus cotton/nylon mix

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Am i talking bollocks ? wool versus cotton/nylon mix

Post by ton »

now if you look back on my posting history, you will see a load of posts about suffering from painfully cold feet. i have a fair bit of history off searching out the warmest most weatherproof footwear and socks, i have every type of wool socks going. alpaca, mohair, silk, vapour barrier. everything.
and the boots i have bought could have funded a army pricewise.
this winter i bought a pair of Keen high leg leather targee boots. they are deffo waterproof, been testing that for the last month. But they were no warmer than my columbia fairbanks boots. i thought they would be when mated with good winter merino socks. they were ok, but no warmer. when i get home the wife asks me how my feet are. i let her feel em, and she always say's they feel cold and dead. i have a lot of metalwork in my right ankle, so just accept it.

so less babbling, about 10 days ago i was getting ready to ride to work. wife was asleep upstairs. i didnt want to wake her, so grabbed some normal socks ( marks & spencers cotton/nylon mix ) off the radiator. popped em on with my winter boots. thought no more of it. when i got home after a cold 20 mile ride after work. i sat down on the sofa, wife asks 'hows your feet'.
i had not even noticed em all day. i let her have a feel and she says it feels cold but nowhere near like normal.
so for the last 10 days i have ditched the wool socks, in favour of cotton/nylon. and i can honestly say i have not had cold feet once, even my club foof has not suffered.
my last 5 rides have been a hour long in minus temps, wearing cordouroy jeans, and now warm winter cycle clothing.

so what gives ??
ScotRoutes

Re: Am i talking bollocks ? wool versus cotton/nylon mix

Post by ScotRoutes »

Could be that wool socks are absorbing more sweat. If that's the case then they lose most of their insulating properties. I'm using Woolie Boolies in winter, they're a synthetic/wool mix.

Were the cotton/nylon thinner? Could be that's just giving more room in your boots too.
ton

Post by ton »

yes they are thinner, but my feet were not squashed in anyway in the wool socks.
when i take the wool socks off they feel cold, not damp. could the wool be insulating a cold foot, keeping it cold. ?

45nrth boots did this, my foot was always cold when i had them.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Also struggling to see how cotton/nylon is warmer. I’d also say that it’s the room that a thinner sock has given you
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Could be that wool socks are absorbing more sweat. If that's the case then they lose most of their insulating properties.
They shouldn't. Merino can absorb around 30% of it's own weight in moisture but it retains much of its insulation properties when it does.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Better fit, thinner (more room for the foot), thus less pressure points seems quite likely.

Perhaps your cotton/nylon socks protect the ankles more?

1 h doesn't seem like much when it comes to sweating, so it seems not that probable to be the (main) reason.
I'm with Stu, merino (or wool of any other type) shouldn't loose much of its insulating properties when damp/wet. But then nylon (or any other type of polyester, like fleece) or polypropylene transports humidity away from your body better than wool or cotton does. Perhaps you sweat enough for this to cause a difference..?

My warmest socks are the Lorpen Exped socks.
https://www.lorpen.com/product/t3-infer ... -polartec/
Not much wool or cotton in there I guess...
But, as for any thick sock, it needs a large enough boot (1 - 2 sizes up).
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Were you riding the Salsa? That's how good they are, you even get to have warn feet :-bd

There doesn't seem to be any correlation between what my socks are made of and how warn they are, some of my favourites are synthetic. Starting with warm socks off the radiator helps as insulation only prevents heat escaping. If your socks are cold your feet have to warm them up. I put my socks and liner gloves on the radiator before bed so they're toasty in the morning when I put them on.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Yes. Perplexed at how your cottong socks are warmer than all your small army of merino socks TBH. I'm gonna go with Sean (the Sheep... sorry) on this one. It's definitely the titanium Salsa. Have you got Ti pedals aswell.

Well done that you've finally found a Salsa that works for your metal... :-bd
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:43 pm

Perhaps your cotton/nylon socks protect the ankles more?
Could be related to this, that the other socks are compressing the calves and cutting the blood off. As a bigger guy with large calves I've had similar with certain socks, I generally wear shorter socks to avoid this
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:43 pm nylon (or any other type of polyester, like fleece) or polypropylene transports humidity away from your body better than wool or cotton does. Perhaps you sweat enough for this to cause a difference..?
That's my thoughts
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

could the wool be insulating a cold foot, keeping it cold. ?

45nrth boots did this, my foot was always cold when i had them.
The only source of heat is your foot surely, so this can't be it. You mention corduroy jeans - have you also changed what you're wearing on your legs, as warmer legs = warmer feet IME?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

It has been colder but the air has been drier,
Damp air will chill you sooner.
Not discounting previous suggestions, Multiple factor at play...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Interesting discussion and I'll follow it closely. I used to be impervious to the cold, but as I've got older my extremities are really feeling it. I was out on the bike for two hours yesterday and by halfway my feet were freezing, despite wearing Goretex lined boots, thick wool socks and calf warmers.
I usually use thin pair of synthetic socks under wool socks when I'm walking in winter, so I think I'll try the same when cycling. I'd attributed the warm feet whilst walking to the fact that my feet are more active, but maybe there's more to it than that.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

The Cumbrian wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:09 pm . I'd attributed the warm feet whilst walking to the fact that my feet are more active, but maybe there's more to it than that.
I think I engage upper leg muscle more as I sit down by default. Lower legs more is I have to 'get off the perch'.

You definely engage more leg muscles and flex the hole foot more when walking, hence keep the circulation going. Thermal innersole & thinner sock, looser laces ?

Ton, you'll have you'll have to do more hike-a-bike. :grin:

Pssst, I can offer you a BSO 'Push iron' perfect for hike a bike. You just need to work on that scowl. :roll: (runs for the hills)

BDO - skipware, Looks like a bike, sells like a bike, pedal like a, cow. The Bike Shaped, Objects catalogues, cut price bargains stores & all, dump the on the suspecting public especially at xmas. On maturing often found hiding in local waterways and undergrown. See fly-tipping
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I went for a walk today in the same area, and pretty much the same temperature and wind as yesterday ( 1 - 3°C and about 15mph). My feet were nice and warm in the same boots and very similar socks, but I had to regulate my core temperature more regularly because I wasn't exercising as hard as yesterday.
From a case study of one in a not at all scientific experiment, it would appear that cycling is the cause of cold feet. Looks like I'd better get used to it.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Hi ton, you probably, chill with the boot of your foot pressing down in a cool surface- the sole. Try a thin thermo sole & a loose fit, which ever thinner socks work. :-bd
Hey ho, when ever you onto something, it warms up. :grin: and cold weather improvement stalled d back to square one.
You are aware the sole of your foot, like the palm of your hand are like dogs paws (hope not literally), and very effective at cooling. Thus chill easily. The concentrate on mainy insulating the sole. :-bd
Lastly thermal or heated insole insole may be a treat, thought the cable to battery looks like it'll make a, separate issue. :???:

Ps you look like you've the finest bike shaped object, a class above my beloved franken bike