Anyone have a 'micro camper?'

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Anyone have a 'micro camper?'

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Kind of thinking out loud and mulling stuff over in my head as I do. I was talking to a couple of blokes at the Bala Packraft weekend who both had Fiat Doblos that they'd converted into as they called them 'micro campers'. I'll admit they they'd made good jobs of them and since then I've grown quite fond of the idea.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had something similar. I've seen a few on-line based on various small vans and people carriers.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Re: Anyone have a 'micro camper?'

Post by JohnClimber »

Paging Escape Goat who's halfway through this on his new van
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Yep Stu. Currently working on a Caddy Maxi. Ask away :)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

We used to have a Caddy - single bed, but a second could sleep on the floor. Full fridge, gas, etc. Was used when my wife raced slalom and I raced CX. Was great. However, she is smaller than me by a lot - so worked well for her. But always felt cramped for me.

Caddy Maxi would be a better call - though I have seen some Berlingos converted well. Contemplating it for a summer project.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Check out Amdro for some ideas
slarge

Post by slarge »

My youngest has a VW Caddy and has carpet lined the back, and normally has dog crates in the back but when he goes away he chucks a mattress in the back and uses it as a camper. Very versatile and very car like - lots of advantages to that, but as everything it's a compromise between space, comfort and versatility.

I still think a Bedford Rascal or Marina based camper is the most appealing to the anti-hero brigade :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bedford Rascal
Now you're talking. :-bd
Chew

Post by Chew »

Also interested in something like this, so keen to hear from others experiences :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

There's a definite advantage if you're short - seating, general space, sleeping
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's a definite advantage if you're short
That's Chew and myself sorted then :wink:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I don’t think I’d go too micro I’d look a perhaps a LWB Ford connect or Peugeot Partner. Having lived in Bedford CF camper for a while I know how space is precious.
That said something smallish and 4x4 would be fun, Defender 110 or perhaps the ultimate in cool would be a Subaru Sumo micro 4x4 van :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Foresty Forest on YouTube has done a couple of stealth camper conversions from people carriers. Also done lots of excellent fat bike videos
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:52 pm
Bedford Rascal
Now you're talking. :-bd
Remember Jonny Dawes in his Rascal in Stone Monkey? He made them cool for a minute...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

They used to build the Bedford campers on the Island, Bedford wouldn't sell the bloke chassis-cabs so he bought pick-ups as the cheapest option and took the beds off.

He had them for sale in the local paper, my Dad bought one to make a trailer out of. When we went along the bloke wanted £250, my Dad offered him £50 which he turned down. Fair enough says Dad, I'll come back in a month when you've still got 20 pick-up beds littering your workshop and offer £30.... we paid £50 :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don’t think I’d go too micro I’d look a perhaps a LWB Ford connect or Peugeot Partner. Having lived in Bedford CF camper for a while I know how space is precious.
I'd (hopefully) not be living in it though Steve. Just somewhere for me and the dog to get our heads down really. I'm now starting to think that perhaps I like the idea of converting one more than actually owning one?
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I never did the full conversion, but slept comfortably in the back of my old vauxhall combo a few times. No bulkhead, and some magnets to hold a curtain over the windows made all the difference. I'm 6'2, so for someone shorter then it would work better.

Prior to that van, I had a Peugeot partner which was noticeably better for sleeping/camping in but a lot slower and thirstier to drive.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:11 pm
I'd (hopefully) not be living in it though Steve. Just somewhere for me and the dog to get our heads down really. I'm now starting to think that perhaps I like the idea of converting one more than actually owning one?
Possibly like when I put my CR 500 on the road :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Have had a few all built by myself probably helped by the fact that was once my full time job building campervans. SWB connect,LWB caddy,Dispatch and an old combo all at different points. Sure I have pics of my builds somewhere I can dig out.

I lived in my connect for 2 months during the winter climbing season in the highlands of Scotland. Kayak on top along with a roof box and then bed with storage under it in the rear and a small cooking area. It’s amazing what you can fit inside if you get creative enough.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I think calling it a "micro camper" would be over-egging the pudding a bit, but I've used my Berlingo as a camper - not really a "conversion" but a step up from sleeping in the boot. Stu, I think you saw it in this guise at the packraft meetup in Bala.

Basically I've got a bunch of 9mm ply dividers that slot in to a base (in the same material, bolted to the floor via the lashing points) and each other, allowing various configurations of bike, gear, person, and dog stowage, including a raised sleeping platform.

I've also got a set of curtains I made that go all round the windows, in 4 sections, hanging from, variously, the sun visors, rear view mirror, various hooks and eye-bolts threded into rivnuts where the roof lining clips are (were). Sounds shambolic, but it works pretty well.

You can take the whole lot out in 5 minutes and be back to a van. It's ideal for one-person-(and-bike) use, particularly if you also want to be able to use the car as a normal vehicle. Seems like it would suit your minimalist mindset Stu.

Some photos I took ages ago here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/136120472 ... 523740295/ I've made a few changes since, and also bought a new shape Berlingo (I've bodged the base board in so it all works, but at some point soon I'll make a new one that fits better, and maybe some design tweaks). The sleeping setup involves dropping the front seat right back (or forward in the new shape, easier and works better) - wouldn't be difficult to come up with a better design but it works well enough for me.
Robster

Post by Robster »

Is there still the van place in Llangurig?

Stopped at the cafe next door and enjoyed trying to see which vans were big enough to sleep in.

Maybe worth a look?

Cheers Rob
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have a micro camper but not converted. It's a Subaru Legacy. Bike and me are a bit cramped but can be done. Mainly I put the rear seats down and get some sleep on the way back from work when I'm far away. Have taken the bike with me and its what I slept in for that first bb200
Defineilty micro and camper category (kindof)...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:10 pm I think calling it a "micro camper" would be over-egging the pudding a bit, but I've used my Berlingo as a camper -
Basically I've got a bunch of 9mm ply dividers that slot in to a base (in the same material, bolted to the floor via the lashing points) and each other, allowing various configurations of bike, gear, person, and dog stowage, including a raised sleeping platform.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136120472 ... 523740295/
Very ingenious. :-bd you should be proud of that.
Ive a raised boot for my wife Skoda Octavia est. . There was useless step between boot & folded rear seats... Next model up had false floor but a 4k more or £300 :shock: for false floor, slot for a little machines chipboard and carpeting & a few fancy clips & turn buckles.
I think the missus would expect B&B, as we go away so little :shock:, and why not?!

Stu, I thought you meant this marina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Marina

Err somes one's done it...
Looks like a fish, moves like a fish
- steers like a cow...
Nothings like a Morris Marina, shift your expectations :roll:
Last edited by ledburner on Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ledburner wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:20 am Very ingenious. :-bd you should be proud of that.
Why thank you! :cool:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That is a nice little set up, very clever, nice work

I have a slot together ply bed that I stored flat packed. It can be set up as a parcel shelf in the back, as a single bed, or as a king size double. But it goes in a T6 so defo not micro size. Have slept in it on my own, with the dog, with the kids, and on one trip with me, the kids and the dog all together
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:17 am
ledburner wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:20 am Very ingenious. :-bd you should be proud of that.
Why thank you! :cool:

You legend.