Anyone have a 'micro camper?'

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: Anyone have a 'micro camper?'

Post by ledburner »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:44 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:17 am
ledburner wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:20 am Very ingenious. :-bd you should be proud of that.
Why thank you! :cool:

You legend.
Unlike Ton, who has, a leg end status & has got Cold-feet issues trying to sort it out. I hope he finds a solution. :wink:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

We have a Toyota Hiace Granvia (people carrier) that I have converted to a camper.

No bigger than most cars these days. 4x4, rock and roll bed and a unit running down the side with 2 ring gas cooker, sink and cupboards.

Suits us and doesn't look too much like a camper.

Really wasn't too bad a job to do. The benefits certainly outweigh the effort required to make it. Just a bloody shame we haven't been able to use it much for the last year... :cry:
vdubber67

Post by vdubber67 »

I found it quite interesting that the load space on a Caddy Maxi is really not far off the space I have in my SWB T4. They're not quite as micro as you'd think!

I already own a VW T3, but I love the idea of converting something else too....
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

If I were going to go small I'd use my current Caddy to cart bikes and stuff around then hitch up a micro caravan as needed. That was my plan but as it is, wifey said she liked the idea of a camper van but it needed a full size lengthways bed and a shower and this and that. A man who converts vans is currently awaiting the arrival of my VW Crafter LWB Maxi from the VW factory in Poland. The house is up for sale and we'll live in it until we find where to finally settle.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

when we kitted out our van, the primary purpose was to have a van, not a camper, and that’s how it’s spent most of its life. But enough camper elements have been added to make it a comfortable place to sleep. Including heater/insulation/ventilation. Didn’t bother with a leisure battery, and haven’t missed it, but probably would if trying to use the heater for more than a couple of nights, same with the lights, although the draw on those is very low.

The bit I didn’t expect to appreciate so much was the bed design. Which is basically two triple extenders. The bed being lined ply that simply sits on top, this gives a total length of something like 7ft by 5ft and when not in use lives in the house.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

What are you planning to do about shitting and pissing?

When we had our Trafic converted I didn't give it much thought. If off-site, we'd mostly use pubs etc, and pop out for a quiet pee. I mean, no harm done, right? However, the places we'd mostly go to just got so busy this year that it's no longer a justifiable/sustainable option (and pubs were closed anyway). For a while, even sites were only allowing vans with on-board toilets.

Maybe things will all get back to "normal" in a couple of years but, in the meantime, definitely consider this issue.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

We have a collapsible toilet and use special gel bags for in van poos (exception rather than the rule)
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’m getting an Elgrand camper in the next couple of months and have gone with a porta potty / cassette toilet thing for that very reason. It’ll rarely get used - and certainly not by me while empty bottles still exist, but it’s nice to have the option, especially when wishing to go somewhere off-grid.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a bivvy loo in the van. Lives in there as it collapses down very small. Only for emergencies but has been very handy. Also have a bottle in there 😁

Have a shewee for my daughter as well
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Fit a Webasto night heater Stu , just had one fitted to works van , set your own time on it and it’s toasty warm before I go out of a morning, not to difficult to fit , just a feed for the glow plug and tap into the diesel tank
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

middleagedmadness wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:12 pm Fit a Webasto night heater Stu , just had one fitted to works van , set your own time on it and it’s toasty warm before I go out of a morning, not to difficult to fit , just a feed for the glow plug and tap into the diesel tank
How much did that cost, been looking at a diesel heater myself and I can find £100 DIY Chinese heaters that get good reviews or really expensive fitted versions?
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

No idea mate as the work paid , you can normally pick a webasto or erbaspacher up for around £200- 300 used or £700-800 new , and then a couple of hours labour to fit it , mate of mine bought a independent diesel heater for his van I’ll get in touch with him today about make and cost , but there’s very little fitting with his as it has its own diesel tank , I’ll pm you the details later
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

We have a Webasto (though it's on a manual switch). An excellent investment.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:30 am I’ll pm you the details later
:-bd
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

The £100 Chinese copies of the Webastos work really well - myself and a few friends have fitted them.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Lots of Freelander 1's in scrapyards now, the webastos in them are
Small and easy to put in something else, normally cheap too...
mikehowarth

Post by mikehowarth »

Yet another cracking bearbones thread!

My car hasn't moved in the best part of a year having started working from home since the start of the lock down, I've been considering chipping it in to get something a bit more utiliarian that will allow me to stuff it to the gills on tip runs, but also throw kit in the back for bike or surfing trips.

Really liking that platform system you've made there Northwind kudos mate - you might have won me over to a Berlingo!
samwise

Post by samwise »

Also got a Caddy Maxi Kombi that we use as a tent on wheels (no leisure battery, water etc) and general bike/adventure van.

It's our only vehicle so its a great size for our limited daily use too. (we both usually cycle to work :-bd )

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

mikehowarth wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 am
Really liking that platform system you've made there Northwind kudos mate - you might have won me over to a Berlingo!
Thanks Mike, and Allen too (belatedly).

I'll try and put some plans together when I make a new base if I get time, in case anyone wants to copy it.

The Berlingo (or equivalent) is definitely the ideal vehicle for me, taking into account cost. Cost aside, I think a slightly longer wheelbase like the Caddy Maxi would be ideal, particularly if using it more as a camper, and it's still the right side of the car/van divide. I think they do a long wheelbase Berlingo/Partner now, but not seen many around and it'll be a while before they filter down to my price bracket.

The Nissan NV200 looks interesting too, though I'm not sure if they do an MPV version. There's an electric version too (as there is with the new Berlingo I think) which would be cool, but waaay out of my budget.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Nissan NV200 looks interesting too, though I'm not sure if they do an MPV version.
Yep, that's what I have Dave. The previous one was more 'van' although it did have rear seats.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:18 am
The Nissan NV200 looks interesting too, though I'm not sure if they do an MPV version.
Yep, that's what I have Dave. The previous one was more 'van' although it did have rear seats.
Ah, will be interested to see what you do with it. Being Japanese (though half-Mackem, possibly :wink: ) is it petrol?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

samwise wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:07 am
I've seen this on the 2k forum ;) very nice indeed.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ah, will be interested to see what you do with it. Being Japanese (though half-Mackem, possibly :wink: ) is it petrol?
1.5DCI Dave. Goes surprisingly well. Chances are I'll do nothing with it as it's our 'car' and as such gets used for carting dogs about, shopping, etc.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:00 pm
1.5DCI Dave. Goes surprisingly well. Chances are I'll do nothing with it as it's our 'car' and as such gets used for carting dogs about, shopping, etc.
Similar to my old 1.6HDi Berlingo then - surprisingly nippy what is essentially a van. Got the 1.6 petrol now, suits my usage better, and less polluting (for which I pay twice the VED for the privilege :roll: ) but you need to clear some time out in your schedule if you want to reach any great speed. Doesn't really bother me, it teaches patience :lol:

Sounds like you're the ideal target market for my as-yet-unpatented plywood maze.
slarge

Post by slarge »

For the diesel heater - I bought a MVAir one a couple of years ago - cost about £650. Installed it myself and it took a day, but half of that was making all the wiring, ducting, brackets etc etc tidy and not rust traps or bodge jobs. Had to drop the fuel tank as well to get into the pump flange (T pieces are available for in line fitting but I don't like these as it adds a joint to the fuel line which is (low) pressured.

I installed mine under the van - you can go inside the van - mainly for safety and noise reasons - they aren't silent, and I have an aversion to CO poisoning (they are designed to be safe but they're even safer if the burner is not in the van).

Brilliant piece of kit - makes cold nights/mornings really comfortable and getting back from a cold wet ride is almost a pleasure! They do drain the battery though (draw around 4-5 Amps) so if parked up for a day or 2 a leisure battery becomes a necessity.

I like the Freelander scrappy idea - but I suspect the scrap trade know what these are worth - and I would hesitate to spend good money on something that is 10-15 years old that will cost a fair bit to fix (and don't go down the 24V route - to convert to 12V will cost more than a new one).

Some great van ideas on here though - makes me think I need 2 campers - a smaller Caddy size and a larger Crafter size - instead of a middling T5 size......