BOA vs Northwave SLW2

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rocklobstercat

BOA vs Northwave SLW2

Post by rocklobstercat »

I've been looking at getting some new shoes and have noticed some come with the BOA lace system. I have also been looking at Northwave shoes which have their own lace system called SLW2. What I've read is that BOA uses a steel lace whereas the Northwave use some sort of braid instead. What are peoples' opinions on these systems and is the BOA better than the Northwave? I'm after the most reliable system. Thanks.
Lazarus

Re: BOA vs Northwave SLW2

Post by Lazarus »

I have used BOA for about 10 years* and one lace snapped in that time - they used to replace them for free not sure if they still do

Despite this one issue I have no issue calling it reliable as anythiing used will eventually break at some point and this was well used - the sole is almost worn out - a trully sad state of affairs on any cycling shoe !

as to whether braid or steel is better no idea

* thankfully it was local and a winter boot so the top gaitor bit meant it stayed on my foot [very lose] and i could ride home but it was sub optimal and would have ended an ITT - though of course i would have zip tied it to my foot and never taken it off .Its not enough to put me off but its certainly less field repairable than a snapped lace.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got the Northwave system. I've snapped/cut two of them, probably on rocks? I had one fail on the HT550 but as the shoe also has a velco strap above the laces it was able to ride on without issue. I've had the shoes since 2017 and it took a lot of mileage to break them.

I've now replaced the Northwave braid with a fishing line braid (much cheaper as a 100m reel cost less than than the Northwave kit) and not had any issues since so perhaps it's stronger/more cut resistant?

Edit, just checked and mine's an SLW3 if that makes any difference?

https://www.northwave.com/uk-GB-en/prod ... 69043.aspx
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dean

Post by Dean »

I have used Boa in summer and SLW in winter with no issues for three years. I do find that the Northwave is quicker to undo and to get off, the Boas tend to draw grit into the mechanism which might require some light encouragement.
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:58 pm I've got the Northwave system. I've snapped/cut two of them, probably on rocks? I had one fail on the HT550 but as the shoe also has a velco strap above the laces it was able to ride on without issue. I've had the shoes since 2017 and it took a lot of mileage to break them.

I've now replaced the Northwave braid with a fishing line braid (much cheaper as a 100m reel cost less than than the Northwave kit) and not had any issues since so perhaps it's stronger/more cut resistant?

Edit, just checked and mine's an SLW3 if that makes any difference?

https://www.northwave.com/uk-GB-en/prod ... 69043.aspx
How easy are the Northwave laces to replace, coud you do it in the field if you carried spares?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

You need a tiny allen key but I got one with the first set of spare braids. You also need to cut them to the right length and they provide a chart.

It's an easy job but a bit fiddly. I carry pre-cut lengths and the allen key in with the bike spares. If I broke one on a normal trip I'd make the effort to replace it, but I've only ever broke them at races so was in too much of a hurry/too tired/too cold to bother as the shoes are useable with just the strap.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger