Please can we talk briefly about pizzas & racks..

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Please can we talk briefly about pizzas & racks..

Post by redefined_cycles »

... pizza rack systems.

Just measured up and it turns out rack might not accomodate the 12 inch pizza I was hoping for. At best it'd be a bit tight and we're already gonna have to take a downsizing from the 16" pizza (between many of us)...

Any thoughts anyone would like to share, then feel free. At the mo I'm wondering whether I actually need another rack or if this is steel then maybe I'll have it rewelded/cut.

Other thing I'd need is a warm bag and provisionally am thinking this . I only really need it to keep warm/tolerate the weather for about a mile.

Most obvious choices include the Surly (cos it's a Surly) 23 pack rack, or the Specialized Pizza rack. Both abit hefty at 1kg
Andiphim

Re: Please can we talk briefly about pizzas & racks..

Post by Andiphim »

Can't you bend the front and back of that rack so it will take you required pizza size?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Me, I reckon I'd just place my pizza at an angle. Wouldn't need much - certainly not enough to provoke 'topping slide'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
javatime

Post by javatime »

Now edited my previous post as it was tosh. Shouldn't post before breakfast and coffee.

But happy to make up any brackets that might help
Last edited by javatime on Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I keep wanting to buy a spesh pizza rack but they seem to sell for a much used as new and im not sure it'll fit although I'm now quite partial to a basket ;)
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'd probably chop off that raised bit at the front, thus allowing pizza boxes of varying sizes to be strapped on.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Two 9 inch pizzas. Problem solved. In a tasty, and probably not nutritious, way.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Two 9 inch pizzas.
That is genius :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Do they make infant - sized pizzas?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:40 am
Two 9 inch pizzas.
That is genius :-bd
Sometimes I'm too smart for my own good.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

simply just cut it, where it doesn't fit.

That's what racks are for. And saws.
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:25 am Surly (cos it's a Surly)
You mean the one with safetly relevant issues?
https://surlybikes.com/blog/surly_8_and ... ack_update

On another note, I have been using and abusing the 8 pack rack, yes, occassionally also with 40 cm (guess that's your 16") pizza and as for a tent, it's also about the tie downs, rather than just the frame structure.
I can't recommend the rack, it's expensive, installation was a proper b!tch, since parts that should fit, didn't (hence - I guess - the recall). After that, all was good and it's been reliable and seems proper sturdy.

Make sure you have some handy, versatile bungees always with the bike. Makes a car-free life much easier :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Alpinum wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:18 am simply just cut it, where it doesn't fit.

That's what racks are for. And saws.
redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:25 am Surly (cos it's a Surly)
You mean the one with safetly relevant issues?
https://surlybikes.com/blog/surly_8_and ... ack_update

On another note, I have been using and abusing the 8 pack rack, yes, occassionally also with 40 cm (guess that's your 16") pizza and as for a tent, it's also about the tie downs, rather than just the frame structure.
I can't recommend the rack, it's expensive, installation was a proper b!tch, since parts that should fit, didn't (hence - I guess - the recall). After that, all was good and it's been reliable and seems proper sturdy.

Make sure you have some handy, versatile bungees always with the bike. Makes a car-free life much easier :-bd
Have just trad that post. That's why we all love Surly I suppise. That's what I shall get. Will look nice with a bit of XTR and we don't need to skimp on 16 inch :-bd
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

9" pizza at the bottom, subsequent larger pizzas stacked on top should clear the lips.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Pizza normally clears my lips.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

We have studiously ignored the Surly rack advice for the Bridge Club and no riders, or pizzas, have come to any harm. I've given all the fasteners a close look over and I'm content to risk it and blame user error rather than the basic design.

I also have a spesh pizza rack on my fargo. It is cheaper than the Surly rack but its not as sturdy. If you are literally carrying pizzas though it'll be fine. Mine carries a backpack with laptop, change of clothes just fine.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

As per the answer from @Gregmay...
1 X 16 inch pizza = 200 sq inches
1 X 12inch pizza = 113 sq inches
2 X 10 inch pizzas = 156 sq inches, they fit in the rack, and more scope for topping choices
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Personally, I'd just put a "spacer" under the box and lash it down tot he rack. As you say (is this really for pizza, I didn't know this was a "thing" :???:) you'll need a warm bag anyway.
yeha

Post by yeha »

1st world problem?

Tiewrap an oven shelf on top of the existing rack?
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S.Eliot.
atk

Post by atk »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:13 am We have studiously ignored the Surly rack advice for the Bridge Club and no riders, or pizzas, have come to any harm. I've given all the fasteners a close look over and I'm content to risk it and blame user error rather than the basic design.
While I'm sure keeping an eye on the bolts will work fine, having been on the wrong end of a 24-pack rack failure, I'd recommend getting the updated hardware from your local dealer/distributor for that one time you forget...

Thankfully I was going slowly and didn't break anything, just ended up with a bloody sore, swollen shoulder and about 4 weeks off the bike. A guy in London wasn't so lucky and ended up needing most of his face glued back together and ~£3000 of dental work.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

yeha wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:16 pm 1st world problem?

Tiewrap an oven shelf on top of the existing rack?
Read my mind!
Or cut the sides off, X_X, you know you want to.
it only over-engineering. - It will be over then! (unlike the pizzas :-bd )

Did some one say pizza!? :-bd :-bd =P~
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

atk wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:18 pm
johnnystorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:13 am We have studiously ignored the Surly rack advice for the Bridge Club and no riders, or pizzas, have come to any harm. I've given all the fasteners a close look over and I'm content to risk it and blame user error rather than the basic design.
While I'm sure keeping an eye on the bolts will work fine, having been on the wrong end of a 24-pack rack failure, I'd recommend getting the updated hardware from your local dealer/distributor for that one time you forget...

Thankfully I was going slowly and didn't break anything, just ended up with a bloody sore, swollen shoulder and about 4 weeks off the bike. A guy in London wasn't so lucky and ended up needing most of his face glued back together and ~£3000 of dental work.
Oof, sounds nasty. What was it that gave way?!
slarge

Post by slarge »

Deliveroo bag would solve the whole problem. Plus it's insulated so pizza stays warm.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm glad people are actually using pizza racks to pick up pizza by bike and carry it home, rather than just to look more hipster.

I was (very mildly) frustrated at the lack of options for carrying pizza (or other large flat objects) on my bike and my solution was to drill a few holes in a piece of ply so it can be strapped to my rear rack, and cut some notches in the edges so that stuff can be strapped to it without the straps sliding off. It's wider than a 12" pizza box so that the straps don't compress the sides (though they still compress the top edge of the topmost box a bit). Not sure of what relevance this is since Shaf's obviously looking for a more refined solution but hey.

I've been putting the pizzas in an IKEA bag, has practically zero insulating value, but keeps the wind off. My favourite pizza place is a 9 minute ride from home (or rather to home). We tried a new place recently which was an 11 minute ride back, and they were still hot when I got back, despite being close to freezing out :cool: Still wonder about getting a Deliveroo bag (an possibly modifying it since I don't need to carry 8 pizzas at once) - you occasionally see them for sale on Facebook marketplace etc.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

^^^
If I’m ordering pizza, then I’ll pay the extra ££ and get it delivered so I can drink beer whilst waiting (and tutting if they’re a minute late :lol: )

Had to carry my pizzaS once in the alps vertical ( :roll: ) as it was raining that hard I was worried they would get saturated. They didn’t :-bd but they were a bit messy to eat :lol: