Please can we talk briefly about pizzas & racks..

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

Re: Please can we talk briefly about pizzas & racks..

Post by Mart »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:30 am Me, I reckon I'd just place my pizza at an angle. Wouldn't need much - certainly not enough to provoke 'topping slide'.
what would be the angle where the topping would slip? many variable factors .....

- quantity and viscosity of tomato sauce
- rugosity of pizza dough
- quantity and type of toppings
- amount of cheese
- temperature gradient through the pizza box

Anyhow - i thought Jase would be all over this thread with his pizza carrying credentials :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Plenty pizza for thought up there. Thanks all kind folks. Just made an offer on an IndyFab frameset on LFGSS for £700. I do hope the chap doesn't say yes but if he does then I'll have to start stripping the steel bike to fund it :o how exciting but sad all at the same time.

Can't wait for pizza
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

To be honest, the correct bikepacking answer is, after you've eaten one pizza, fold the other in half and stuff in your frame bag :lol:
voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:33 pm ^^^
If I’m ordering pizza, then I’ll pay the extra ££ and get it delivered so I can drink beer whilst waiting (and tutting if they’re a minute late :lol: )
My favourite place doesn't deliver :roll:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

:oops: Warning grumpy sod alert :oops:

Sober reality check:
I don't wish to P!Ss on Your P!Zza.. But (big butt), Seriously 'bolt together' racks are a disaster (*see pictures and notes below); Whoever makes them,
American (designed or made in) doesn't make them any better :cry: .

Not overengineered :shock: just over marketed. :o Worst still, over here :oops: .

they inherently have more flex because the screwed joints, or riveted, (rack top to long stays), are a fixture and pivot at the same time; With welded joints here, there would be an improvement. :wink: Blackburn and numerous copies racks were improved only when the rear most strays were moved out of line with the others, to also act as a diagonal brace, thus increasing rigidity. Thus its strength comes from not it fixture pointd, at the frame eyelets etc :-bd

My advise sell it to a hipster... :ugeek:

* I remember Raleigh and Pletscher sprung racks in the early 80's, wobbly, poorly chrome plated rustarama... Or cast alloy..
But a sprung pletscher rack will slice the 'pete-zza' for you

Below Pletscher Rack
Below still wobberly raleigh rack
Attachments
IMG_12022021_002158_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
(47.93 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll just leave this here for a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=Iw ... e=youtu.be
May the bridges you burn light your way
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Scarry! George Bush logic.
To paraphrase his Bushism..
'We' ll budget like this, One half to the gun lobby, next half to corperations relief, and the remain half health care! "
Unfortunately final salary pensions were sold, Base on (years in what were they) . Pick a scheme most folk chose 80th because they were larger than 60th's.. I was told by the manager of the, accounts dept I was thick Cos I chose 60th's.
'Think he was fractionally lacking. :lol:
atk

Post by atk »

johnnystorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:57 pm Oof, sounds nasty. What was it that gave way?!
The funny barrel(?) bolts came loose, the rack pivoted from the mid-blade mounts, the bike came to an abrupt stop and I went flying over the bars.

Took a while to realise what happened as I picked myself up. The "fix" appears to be some little caps that would stop the rack sliding off the upper struts if the same thing happened again. DIY option would be to tap those struts and stick a large headed bolt in the end of each.

redefined_cycles

atk wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:24 pm
johnnystorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:57 pm Oof, sounds nasty. What was it that gave way?!
The funny barrel(?) bolts came loose, the rack pivoted from the mid-blade mounts, the bike came to an abrupt stop and I went flying over the bars.

Took a while to realise what happened as I picked myself up. The "fix" appears to be some little caps that would stop the rack sliding off the upper struts if the same thing happened again. DIY option would be to tap those struts and stick a large headed bolt in the end of each.

Wouldn't you thats a bit of a design flaw and the 'fix' as per Surly isn't the smartest design/redesign??

Getting out off the Surly now a little and might have to consider the Speciallized :???:
redefined_cycles

javatime wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:13 am Now edited my previous post as it was tosh. Shouldn't post before breakfast and coffee.

But happy to make up any brackets that might help
Haha... I do really appreciate the offer though :-bd I forgot to reply as was a bit busy over them days :smile:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've picked up pizzas on my bike a few times

Sometimes on a normal rear rack with a couple of bungees and straps. Sometimes on the back of my cargo bike which has a ridiculously good xtracycle rack, but again using bungees and straps

I wish I could get a 16in pizza near me. 13in is as big as they get :sad:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Reminds me of The Beast that we used to get as a student - 3’x2’ of pizza from Snappy Tomato Pizza in Cov
atk

Post by atk »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 pm Wouldn't you thats a bit of a design flaw and the 'fix' as per Surly isn't the smartest design/redesign??

Getting out off the Surly now a little and might have to consider the Speciallized :???:
I shouldn't have quoted 'fix'. I'm sure, with the new mandatory security hardware, both these racks will be perfectly fine for the intended use if you follow the instructions to fit+maintain the rack, and the hardware will have been signed off by a variety of engineers, lawyers and the like.

The security hardware is essential little clamps that keep the rack in place if the barrel clamps (still have no idea what to call these) were to work loose. They'd definitely have stopped my accident, then again so would have checking the bolts on a semi regular basis. This wasn't the first time I've had a rack bolt work loose, doubt it'll be the last.

IMO the Specialized rack rarely looks good on a bike. There's not enough adjustment in it, although that means less bolts to rattle out..., but they often end up sat high above the tyre and well forward of the axle which isn't great for the ride.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

How have we got this far and no mentioned our favourite pizza?

Thin base
Stuff crust
BBQ sauce (not tomato)
Cheeses
Chicken
Jalapeños
Peppers
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a pizza oven that would fit quite nicely on a rack. Would make a nice little hipster set up
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 pm

Wouldn't you thats a bit of a design flaw and the 'fix' as per Surly isn't the smartest design/redesign??

We have got both here, and I prefer the Surly, but won't the Specialized be a lot less faff to fit to the Ramin regarding the top fixings?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:37 am I'll just leave this here for a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=Iw ... e=youtu.be
Pffffft .... yeah but no but yeah but .... I reckon she'd have clocked it if he'd been a bit more precise from the outset. Folks don't get maths, eh? So I've no problem with her, I'd quite happily give her bloke a proper shoeing for posting that. Knob.

EDIT: actually, she is pretty dim. I'll raise you ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk
I'm just going outside ...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Get the CyclingUk lawyers on your case jammed front wheels are nasty.

Auto correct begs to differ,
I'm sure that's , F'in dangerous!

On a sober note, A local cycle, recently (late last summer), was killed when a roadie tubelees unseated & instant jammed his front wheel. Found by his mates in road. His mates said he was a little bit a head only doing about 20mph. :shock:
The gossip was the family were persuing the legal route, against the local bikeshop, for manslaughter (or other serious charge).
redefined_cycles

The 'Pizza Rack' thread has caused me to come and revisit this post. Reason being that I have a Ramin 3+ too and planned to sort a pizza rqck for the front. Does anyone know if the Specialized Pizza Rack thing (what was described over there, as being a slightly more involved process of attachment) is the same issue with all front pizza rack types.

For reference, I'd settled on a Pelago in large alu (only 800g which seems ok for a permenant attachment). Dont want to find out once it arrives that extra mounting hardware be needed :o
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Front rack were de riguer in the 70s/80s Sloanes cycle book 25th anniv. edition. (mid. 90s) condemns them. (Eugene Sloanne -Expert witness & Advocate of cycle safety)...

If you must use the make sure there is a backup security fitting or leash, so they can't jam the front wheel. This is why low riders were a better system, in some ways,( & a lower centre of gravity) They may come with a disclaimer about checking they are secure before every ride. (Free get out of jail card of sorts). Broken bones (wrist/collar bones and dental work) are a high price to pay, before lose of earnings etc... .
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:28 am Front rack were de riguer in the 70s/80s Sloanes cycle book 25th anniv. edition. (mid. 90s) condemns them. (Eugene Sloanne -Expert witness & Advocate of cycle safety)...

If you must use the make sure there is a backup security fitting or leash, so they can't jam the front wheel. This is why low riders were a better system, in some ways,( & a lower centre of gravity) They may come with a disclaimer about checking they are secure before every ride. (Free get out of jail card of sorts). Broken bones (wrist/collar bones and dental work) are a high price to pay, before lose of earnings etc... .
Hmmmm... That's some food for thought. Well spotted (The) Highlander :o
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

There is a pizza vending machine fairly near me with canalside picnic benches.
Not actually sampled the wares yet but it's just a matter of time.........
Grubby little urchin.