Where would you live in the UK...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

Where would you live in the UK...

Post by Charliecres »

... if you could live anywhere? And why?

I’m turning this one over a lot at the moment.

I’m aiming to quit the rat race soon and the kids are all grown and gone. I live in Surrey surrounded by beautiful countryside and great mountain biking. It’s got lots going for it, including all the local friends I have, but it’s cramped and busy and a long way from anywhere that feels like proper wild country.

Where’s the best place to be?
Borderer

Re: Where would you live in the UK...

Post by Borderer »

Scotland.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Here.

(Your decision might be tempered by how fussy you are about being in the UK in the future though).
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Scotland or Wales

Both have plenty of areas where house prices are very very reasonable
I guess it depends on how much nothing you want
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Somewhere hilly, near the sea.
Probably in the south: cos that's where summer comes soonest :cool: .
May you always have tail wind.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Been thinking about this recently, also about to get out of the SE. I'd be happy anywhere that's on the shoulder of a south-facing hill with a nice view and good light, with woodland trails and open byways across rolling hills nearby. South west or Wales probably. Riding distance of or train trip to a ferry to France is a big bonus.

I do love the mountains, Lakes/Scotland etc. Made me happy to realise that the softer countryside of the southern downs is something really beautiful though, hadn't really appreciated how much so until the last few years. Spring days in Mint Sauce land, hilltop copses to head for for bivi spots, farm tracks, that kind of thing. All it needs is to not be too densely populated which is the main problem with most of the SE.

Been driving across Wiltshire and Somerset a fair bit recently and it's suprisingly nice there - open, fairly empty, big views over lovely countryside.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I give this some thought from time to time, so this isn't a flippant answer .... pretty much where I am. It's very quiet. The sea is only a stones throw and it's covered in hills and mountains. It has one of the lowest crime rates in the UK (no need to lock your doors or keep everything under lock and key). There's still community, people know and help each other. The air is some of the cleanest in the country and the night skies are like nothing else. Property prices aren't stupid and you can still find secluded gems.

On occasion, we've talked about moving but the question is always 'where could we go that's really as nice as this?'. Obviously Scotland holds appeal but not enough.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

My heart and my wallet vote for Scotland. We’d be a loooooong way from our kids, though.
I guess it depends how much nothing you want.
For us, this is perhaps the nub of it. We both love the outdoors but have always lived in towns, cities or suburbs. My wife is understandably worried that she’ll go insane if I’m the only person for her to talk to within 1/5/10 miles.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For us, this is perhaps the nub of it. We both love the outdoors but have always lived in towns, cities or suburbs. My wife is understandably worried that she’ll go insane if I’m the only person for her to talk to within 1/5/10 miles.
I think that's a very real concern Charles. You see a number of folk move here but after 12 or 18 months they sell up and leave. They like it but they can't handle the solitude and lack of facilities ... however, as I said, there is a real community and if you're happy to introduce yourself, then it's very welcoming.

I suppose it's people who are used to 'handy and convenient' who struggle most. Obviously there's no just popping down the shop as proper shops involve a 30 mile round trip or 50 if you want a supermarket. The cinema is 30 miles away and they show one film 2 months after it was seen by everyone else. You really need to be happy in your own company and be willing to adopt a new (in my mind better) way of life. I assume there's plenty of Scotland which is similar.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

We’ve been considering the Quantocks or Shropshire hills. Both seem to offer a good mix of local beauty/riding, relatively easy access to wilder country and reasonable transport connections.

Jameso, I agree about appreciating the southern downs. I love where we are - apart from too many people and too much money.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

You really need to be happy in your own company
Yes, I think my appetite for solitude is bigger than my better half’s. I don’t want to move to my dream location just to get a divorce. :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, some nice places in the Shopshire hills / Welsh borders Charles. Obviously it can be busier than more remote places but there's still quiet bits once you get away from the honey-pots.
Yes, I think my appetite for solitude is bigger than my better half’s. I don’t want to move to my dream location just to get a divorce.
Yeah, it does help if you're not a 'people person' :wink:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

We’ve often talked about moving to Scotland since my missus would qualify for a passport if the probable happens. She wants her amenities so we’d need a large town with good access to hills. The pandemic has been good mental training for living in a remote area albeit with better internet
ton

Post by ton »

Perth or Inverness i think.
both have a nice town feel, and both near enough the quietness in need more often nowadays.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Got no strong views on this either way but it does intrigue me that people hanker for remote places or a country-cottage-with-roses-over-the-door just when they're getting to the stage when they may well start to need some obliging person to wipe their bum, or be able to drive their scooter on the flat to the day centre etc etc. Maybe that doesn't matter and one intends to walk out into the snow when it all gets too difficult....

At the moment I've got 'family responsibilities' so not going anywhere but if I did I think I'd still prefer to be in a town so I can walk places. I think I spend a larger amount of time on the mundanities of life than 'having fun' so would prefer to stay near facilities and 'go' to fun rather than the other way round.

Also, the amount it would cost to move would probably pay for a first class train ticket to Wales every weekend for the rest of my life!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Keep it under your hat, but there are towns in Scotland too. 😉

When we were looking to move 8 years ago we'd originally been thinking about the North West. Somewhere between Torridon and Durness. It was the lack of amenities that put us off. Just having to drive 30 minutes for milk, no pub in walking distance, weekly shop in Inverness, no GP - and (at that tìme) no local school. Aviemore has been pretty much ideal as it has all of that yet I need never drive to ride. It is also a very outdoorsy place. My usual bike trails are currently full of skiers though 😅

Of course being what it is, it also gets "busy" with tourists. Many stick to the pubs and local wee walks but when folk wander off the busiest trails, they are generally swallowed up by the vastness of the countryside so it's never at Lake District/Snowdonia levels. It's those same tourists that sustain the availability of pubs, cafes and shops so there's an upside too.

We do dream of a wee cottage in the wilds sometimes but the reality is that we prefer the large village/small town vibe for some very practical reasons.

Looking to the future we will downsize the house but very much plan to stay in the area.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Got no strong views on this either way but it does intrigue me that people hanker for remote places or a country-cottage-with-roses-over-the-door just when they're getting to the stage when they may well start to need some obliging person to wipe their bum, or be able to drive their scooter on the flat to the day centre etc etc. Maybe that doesn't matter and one intends to walk out into the snow when it all gets too difficult....
This is very true Reg. It's surprising how many born and bred locals move nearer to Mach, Llanidloes, Newtown etc once they reach a certain age, yet the English arrive here after retirement. It was seen as something quite unusual when we arrived still in our 'prime'.

This thread's just reminded me of something. One of my criteria when we were looking to move somewhere quieter was 'somewhere I could walk outside naked' A couple of weeks ago, Dennis the dog decided he wanted to go out around 3am. I got out of bed and just put a shirt on to go downstairs and let him out. He hadn't returned after 10 minutes, so with torch on head I went outside to find him. Weirdly, he was nowhere to be seen and he gets a bit confused these days, so I set off down the lane to look for him - still wearing nowt but my boots and a shirt. It wasn't until I got to the main road that I found him. Very cold it was :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

A 'thought experiment' I did once was to work out where I wouldn't want to live in the UK.

Printed a large map, got my crayons out, and gradually filled in the bits that either held no appeal for me or that I didn't consider 'easily livable'. Turned out that what was left was a remarkably small 'uncrayonned' area! Much much easier than choosing where to go :smile: .

The 'uncrayonned' areas included where both my kids live - either they could look after us us or we could look after them depending on the circumstances.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I like it in the Pennines. We've got some of the highest concentration of paths in the country in our little valley and the technical nature of the area suits my riding and running. However, this past year has shown me that it's not enough for me. When we moved here I felt that I'd found an area I'd never get bored with (And I'm still not bored of our trail network). But I am due a break from it.

Scotland is very high on my list. Somewhere on the outskirts of the Cairngorms - with slightly better weather. Braemar area has some amazing biking being developed. Access to great running. Close to the quick way into the bulk of the plateau. Pretty much it all.

Being a teacher, wife being a physio, child being young - it's an easy option to move. We'd certainly be able to buy a similar home for a lot less, which would be good, as even at 40 I'd like to work less than I do.

If I've learnt one thing since March last year - I am a better person when I move than when I sit at a desk.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:38 am It wasn't until I got to the main road that I found him. Very cold it was :wink:
The main road! Blimey. Actually, upon arrival there I'd've taken the humourous opportunity to stand there in shirt and boots with dog on lead, with my thumb stuck out as if waiting for a lift and see if anyone stopped.

But yes, opportunity to wander starkers is high on the list.

Hamish

Post by Hamish »

RIP wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:27 am Got no strong views on this either way but it does intrigue me that people hanker for remote places or a country-cottage-with-roses-over-the-door just when they're getting to the stage when they may well start to need some obliging person to wipe their bum, or be able to drive their scooter on the flat to the day centre etc etc. Maybe that doesn't matter and one intends to walk out into the snow when it all gets too difficult....

At the moment I've got 'family responsibilities' so not going anywhere but if I did I think I'd still prefer to be in a town so I can walk places. I think I spend a larger amount of time on the mundanities of life than 'having fun' so would prefer to stay near facilities and 'go' to fun rather than the other way round.

All in all, Gower isn't a bad place to be with the sea infront of you and the rest of Wales behind, and an great network of paths for day riding

Also, the amount it would cost to move would probably pay for a first class train ticket to Wales every weekend for the rest of my life!
All that ^ is very true. I am looking after aged parents and an ill brother. The fact that they live miles from anywhere means that I have to drive them around.

I often hanker after moving to Scotland. Say Oban way, ideally within cycling distance of a small centre so I would not need to drive anywhere. But... I come from here (Gower) so I have roots and I am not sure it would be easy to leave. I am used to living in a place where I went to school and grew up. I don't particularly want roots but I have them and feel kind of part of the place. How it would feel to break that permanently I don't know. How would I feel in a community where I don't have those roots? I lived abroad for several years - but I knew it was temporary.

Also, Scotland is where I go when I want a trip. Would living there give me nowhere to go to and I'd have to spend any time away from home doing family stuff visiting what was home. I don't know.

What I do know is that wherever I go or stay, I want to drive a car less and ride my bike more...
RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:49 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:38 am It wasn't until I got to the main road that I found him. Very cold it was :wink:
The main road! Blimey. Actually, upon arrival there I'd've taken the humourous opportunity to stand there in shirt and boots with dog on lead, with my thumb stuck out as if waiting for a lift and see if anyone stopped.

But yes, opportunity to wander starkers is high on the list.
Then again, you can do that anywhere. I've no doubt wittered about it before but we once had a commotion in our road at midnight with a couple of yobs. Lost me rag a bit and steamed downstairs in just my pants - bare feet too - and dashed out into the road. Amusingly at exactly the same time my neighbour opposite - Kajagoogoo's bass player - dashed out of his house in his pants and we both chased the yobs down the road! Took ages to get the grit out of my toes.

Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

It’s something that we have just went through and moved in just before lockdown started last year.

Moved from being on the outskirts of a city where everything was a train or bus away to a small village on the west coast of Scotland. And loved every second since we moved.

Can walk out the front door and dip my feet in the sea or out the back door and it’s endless forest roads which you will struggle to ever see anyone on. Can easily cycle 50 miles loop and never meet a person or go near a busy road.
We now have a small shop about 30mins away and the supermarket is 1hr 20mins away but you adapt.

We never had a garden before we moved but hopefully this year we will be nearly growing all our own vegetables with lots of hard work. Can get meat from local stalker and farmer so definitely eating better now we have to cook and we know where most of our dinner comes from.

One thing we found is to actually get involved in the local community. We bought the house not knowing anything about the community but it’s been incredible. Moved from somewhere that we didn’t even know our neighbours to being an active part of a small community. Even during lockdown this spirit has been brilliant.

There’s lots of small towns and villages around it’s just finding what your looking for.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Kajagoogoo's bass player
Well, he obviously wasn't too shy :wink:
One thing we found is to actually get involved in the local community.
This. Dee's very active, she teaches dancing classes, netball (walking netball now), sings in the choir, walks dogs for a charity, visits various elderly locals, etc. Conversely, some people thought I was a figment of her imagination for some time as they never saw me. However, once people discovered I could mend things, that all changed :wink:
I am used to living in a place where I went to school and grew up. I don't particularly want roots but I have them and feel kind of part of the place. How it would feel to break that permanently I don't know. How would I feel in a community where I don't have those roots?
I was very much born and bred in the Peak district and it's still very much part of me but one of my reasons for moving was that I felt the area had changed and become too busy (for me). Where I am now, feels much more like 'home' because it's more like the 'home' I remember.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Highlands with the Mrs some cows, sheep, chickens and no neighbours.