Where would you live in the UK...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Where would you live in the UK...

Post by benp1 »

slarge wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:29 pm Are they nice because there's no train line or do train lines not go through nice places?
That's a great question Steve...

I just find it disappointing that I can't get around by train more easily, so end up driving. It's more convenient and more direct. e.g Snowdonia has rubbish access, so does the Lakes.

In the case of the Lakes, I know you can get to Oxenholme, and Staveley or Windermere, but that's it. I've done that trip a few times. I've even jumped on the bus to get around in the past, but my goodness it's much more effort to get around than to drive.

Quite a bit of thread drift, sorry.

I spent a while with a terrain map and a rail map plotted using a real map, rather than an image of the train lines, to work out where I could live to balance all the various factors.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

and probably Spain between November and Feb.
And miss this?

boxelder

Post by boxelder »

the case of the Lakes, I know you can get to Oxenholme, and Staveley or Windermere, but that's it. I've done that trip a few times. I've even jumped on the bus to get around in the past, but my goodness it's much more effort to get around than to drive.
You can access the west coast too - Ravenglass, Seascale (Wasdale), Whitehaven (Ennerdale). Also Penrith. Obviously not door to door (unless you jump on the L'aal Ratty), but that wouldn't be desirable anyway. The Penrith/Keswick/Cockermouth line would be great mind 😒
Last edited by boxelder on Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

It's years since I've been on the West Coast line but in my experience you'd be quicker walking 😉
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

No slower than driving when the grockly off-comer hoardes are out in force.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Or when the Derwent road bridge gets washed away in the floods...

The Cumbrian Coast line is far more interesting than the West Highland in my view... loads of power stations to look at.. nuclear waste dumps... old steelworks.... weatherbeaten industrial towns... strange groups of sea shanties... sweeping estuaries... shipyards.. oh and the odd mountain in the distance too I suppose :wink: . The line is pretty much actually in the sea for a fair way and it's fantastic when the tide and wind are up..... elemental you might say...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I suppose it's nice to have the option, but it's such a slow line that I haven't bothered in the past. I've definitely driven more than I've taken the train. Train is a nice option as I can cycle to Euston so it's easy to get up there. I'll be moving further away so will definitely be driving in future, it'll be quicker

This is the website I've spent quite a bit of time on - https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

You need to select modern railways instead of historic railways in the layers option to see where they run now. I found it both useful and interesting, and was used a lot in identifying where we could live
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

RIP wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 am Or when the Derwent road bridge gets washed away in the floods...

The Cumbrian Coast line is far more interesting than the West Highland in my view... loads of power stations to look at.. nuclear waste dumps... old steelworks.... weatherbeaten industrial towns... strange groups of sea shanties... sweeping estuaries... shipyards.. oh and the odd mountain in the distance too I suppose :wink: . The line is pretty much actually in the sea for a fair way and it's fantastic when the tide and wind are up..... elemental you might say...
There was a great Lowry pencil sketch in the gallery many years ago "The View from Maryport" iirc.

Youd have to see it but it captured west coast Cumbria to a T :wink:

Edit - you missed UK's only deep coal mine (if they go ahead with it) off that list :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

RIP wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 am Or when the Derwent road bridge gets washed away in the floods...

Perhaps Reg has the best solution: rather than trying to find the perfect place to live to enjoy and access places of great natural beauty, cultivate an appreciation of the post-industrial wastelands of a civilisation in the death throes of capitalism and you'll never need to move! Well, Stu etc. would. See the "Reg and Pete's Tour..." thread for tips :-bd

The lack of public transport access to the Lakes is really disappointing. From where I live I can drive to Keswick or Glenridding in an hour and a half. The train to Carlisle takes about the same time, maybe longer, and then it's change to Penrith (which is still not really in the Lakes) or Oxenholme, or to the west coast line, which sometimes involves an hour's wait before boarding the slowest train in the world.

Last year I was walking through the bus station in Newcastle and noticed I can actually get a bus direct to Keswick :o It runs runs there and back twice on a Saturday, and takes about 3 hours, so you can get about 6 hours in the Lakes for about the same time on the bus :-bd :roll: Obviously you couldn't go very far because you can't take a bike, unless you fancy taking a Brompton along the old coach road.

I'm not suggesting bulldozing a railway line through the middle of the Lakes, but better connections would make car free trips more feasible.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I quite like the train to the outskirts and then a ride in - I've done it once from Oxenholme and once from Workington. It invites a multi-day trip which is no bad thing. I need to do that again once I can.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:35 pm cultivate an appreciation of the post-industrial wastelands of a civilisation in the death throes of capitalism and you'll never need to move! Well, Stu etc. would. See the "Reg and Pete's Tour..." thread for tips :-bd
Certainly the 3 day trip I did around W Cumbria a couple of years ago was one of the most fascinating I've ever done. 'Stories' came along so thick and fast I could hardly keep up with them - strange conversations, strange objects, unusual places and industries, etc etc. Now you do get the odd story on a mountain I'll admit but not the variety. The 1980s were obviously a terrible time for many people, particularly up north, but at that time we were losing so much heavy industry that I spent a lot of time going round with my bike by train sort of morbidly cataloguing the downfall - Consett, Middlesbrough, Corby, Sheffield, Merthyr, Glasgow, Black Country etc. Learned shed loads and met a lot of interesting people. So, not much industrial dereliction left now but still the odd pocket or two to investigate.
The lack of public transport access to the Lakes is really disappointing.........
I'm not suggesting bulldozing a railway line through the middle of the Lakes, but better connections would make car free trips more feasible.
It is bonkers indeed. Of course, we don't need to bulldoze a new line really - it already exists but trackless: the old (Workington), Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith Railway. Penrith - Keswick closed as late as 1972 after a big fight. Would be easy to put that back and indeed there was a recent campaign.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I was being flippant, but you make a excellent point Reg.
RIP wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:35 pm It is bonkers indeed. Of course, we don't need to bulldoze a new line really - it already exists but trackless: the old (Workington), Cockermouth, Keswick and Penrith Railway. Penrith - Keswick closed as late as 1972 after a big fight. Would be easy to put that back and indeed there was a recent campaign.
Fair point. Fingers crossed, though they've just spent a ton of money (and time) restoring the cycle path that runs along the old track bed at the Keswick end - part of the coast to coast route. Not sure if that would help or hinder reopening it as a railway line. It would be a shame to lose the cycle path, but I think it would be a price worth paying - some people no doubt would feel the opposite. A debate which will be had elsewhere I fancy as other communities campaign to get old lines that are now cycling/walking routes re-instated.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:48 pm I was being flippant
:grin: :-bd Yep, I twigged :smile: .

gairym

Post by gairym »

About four years ago, after having lived in France for 9 years, we decided we might like to move back to the UK.

I'm from a crappy little mining village near Sheffield and the wife is from North London.

We knew we didn't want either of those options or anything too similar (so no big cities or pikey backwaters).

We wanted space and greenery but not too far from schools and amenities.

We wanted travel links to get around but not too busy/urban.

So.....we looked around the South (Brighton and surrounding area etc...), Stroud and surrounding areas, Devon and Cornwall, Wales and a whole host of other areas.

In the end we found that the act of trying to move around the UK in order to view potential areas or properties was more than enough to convince us that we did not want to move back to blighty after all.....

Move to France! :-bd

Everything is better here except the very poor crisps and a distinct lack of bacon.

[Disclaimer: not really saying it's better but it does what we want for now. ]
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Move to France!
Dee would like that. She does keep looking. FRT anyone? :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
samwise

Post by samwise »

The dream is to finish my current work contract and then run a campsite somewhere...... (ideas welcome)

Maybe Hereforshire/Shropshire area or back towards where I grew up in Devon (currently in Essex)

Sam
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

FRT anyone? :-bd
Mais oui!
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

samwise wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:59 am The dream is to finish my current work contract and then run a campsite somewhere...... (ideas welcome)

Maybe Hereforshire/Shropshire area or back towards where I grew up in Devon (currently in Essex)

Sam
Quite like that idea myself but would really like to be somewhere on the "cycle traveler/backpacker" trail so you have the international visitors coming through as well as the locals.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
samwise

Post by samwise »

[/quote]

Quite like that idea myself but would really like to be somewhere on the "cycle traveler/backpacker" trail so you have the international visitors coming through as well as the locals.
[/quote]

Its a good shout. The more popular the are the more it would cost to buy land or buy an existing site.

We would like somwhere with good multi-use trails, hiking, biking etc to try and target that audience....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The place near Church Stretton with pods / camping seems to do well. Obviously the Mynd is on the doorstep and they've set their stall out to cater towards mountain bikers.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:01 am The place near Church Stretton with pods / camping seems to do well. Obviously the Mynd is on the doorstep and they've set their stall out to cater towards mountain bikers.
Is that the one with the bike shop and pub on site too (Marshbrook)?
samwise wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:59 am The dream is to finish my current work contract and then run a campsite somewhere...... (ideas welcome)

Sam
Not officially out there but there are local whispers that the owners of a small rural campsite on the Herefordshire / Monmouthshire border might be thinking of selling.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

gairym wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:35 am
Everything is better here except the very poor crisps and a distinct lack of bacon.
I’m out! X_X. A man shouldn’t have to live without bacon.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
samwise

Post by samwise »

psling wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:20 am Not officially out there but there are local whispers that the owners of a small rural campsite on the Herefordshire / Monmouthshire border might be thinking of selling.
Tell me more!
psling

Post by psling »

samwise wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:28 am
psling wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:20 am Not officially out there but there are local whispers that the owners of a small rural campsite on the Herefordshire / Monmouthshire border might be thinking of selling.
Tell me more!
I'll pm you
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is that the one with the bike shop and pub on site too (Marshbrook)?
Aye, 100yds or so up the lane from the railway crossing.