Where would you live in the UK...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Where would you live in the UK...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

But if I win the Euro millions tomorrow night you'll find me here on the Llŷn Peninsula.

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/661 ... D-JwKpqKeA
John, that is 'kin horrible. Think of what you could buy for 3 million and besides, why would anyone want to live in Cheshire on Sea?
May the bridges you burn light your way
jay91

Post by jay91 »

shropshire welsh border I think but I've not had much chance to explore Scotland yet :-W
Trying to ride bikes.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

We've been looking at this.

We live in the Peak District on the edge of Kinder and the riding is definitely above average. Having lived in numerous places where a ride is preceded by a drive, riding from the door is a blessing.

On the subject of riding, most riding involves some steep, maybe some easy riding would be nice.

Our village seems to be a nimby stronghold. Oldtimers vs newcomers. I'm a member of a couple of FB groups from other areas where new people and therefore new skills seem to be embraced. I'd immerse in a communities view rather than just the view from the kitchen window.

N. Scotland is lovely when the sun is shining in May, not so much when it is raining in the brief daylight in January.

Living in the middle of nowhere is wonderful if you need nothing. If you want a pub, a takeaway a post office etc then a viable village or small town is a must.

I've not got an answer yet, just more questions.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:23 pm
Marlborough in Wiltshire keeps piquing my interest.
No Steve, just no. Nice looking town..but it’s Hooray Henry central. I used to ride through there most weekends and it was rare to not be assaulted by some Fauntleroy in a Range Rover.

If you want to know what it’s really like then take an Afternoon Tea in the Polly Tea Rooms. I’ll say no more until you’ve experienced it.
I know what you mean :wink: it’s not so much the town but the area, Avebury and the Barge inn are where I’m coming from.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Pretty much sorted where I am, though a cottage on the outskirts of a village further up the coast would be great if it happens. Pre-covid I could get into Edinburgh for a night out, rugby, shopping etc. Close enough if you need it but far enough away that we’re not a suburb of Greater Edinburgh yet. (Not long though :roll: )
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:52 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:23 pm
Marlborough in Wiltshire keeps piquing my interest.
No Steve, just no. Nice looking town..but it’s Hooray Henry central. I used to ride through there most weekends and it was rare to not be assaulted by some Fauntleroy in a Range Rover.

If you want to know what it’s really like then take an Afternoon Tea in the Polly Tea Rooms. I’ll say no more until you’ve experienced it.
I know what you mean :wink: it’s not so much the town but the area, Avebury and the Barge inn are where I’m coming from.
The Barge Inn is shut sadly if you mean Honey Street. Mate of mine ran a campaign to try and buy it but fell short at the crowdfunder.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Chew

Post by Chew »

Depends what you want?

Stu said in the “meagre existence” thread that not many would want to live where he and Dee do.
As much as it’s great to visit, the remoteness wouldn’t work for me.

A bit further down the valley from Greg, with similar mix of trails from the doorstep and facilities on the doorstep. A bit more urban, but when the trees are full bloom, you can only see a handful of houses across the valley

One of the best decisions I ever made moving from Leeds to Halifax and can’t see myself ever moving.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'd try to avoid somewhere too touristy. Scotland is good in that you can live somewhere totally off the tourist trail but is still nice (and has easy access to the hills) and house prices are reasonable. My other option would be North East England as it too is off the tourist trail, but has plenty of good countryside locally and has good access to the Dales, North York Moors and Northumberland. Good access to the rest of the UK, north and south also.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Last time I rode down to the Barge was late Jan 2020, an Italian couple had re-opened it following its last shutdown. It’s sad if it’s shut again.
It’s a nice long ride from Banbury and decent pub night out, done it a few times when head space has been needed, hence my affection for the area.

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

BigdummySteve wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:09 pm Last time I rode down to the Barge was late Jan 2020, an Italian couple had re-opened it following its last shutdown. It’s sad if it’s shut again.
It’s a nice long ride from Banbury and decent pub night out, done it a few times when head space has been needed, hence my affection for the area.
That’s after Andy ran his campaign so sounds like good news!

Edit : https://kanda.boatingcommunity.org.uk/t ... ownership/

Andy was one of the boat people. Still lives on a barge as far as I know
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

The only’boat person I know is Denny, it was his birthday the night I was last down, for that night I was treated as a regular, it’s one of my favourite pubs in my cycling head along with the crask.

FLV

Post by FLV »

Richpips wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:39 pm We've been looking at this.

We live in the Peak District on the edge of Kinder and the riding is definitely above average. Having lived in numerous places where a ride is preceded by a drive, riding from the door is a blessing.

On the subject of riding, most riding involves some steep, maybe some easy riding would be nice.

Our village seems to be a nimby stronghold. Oldtimers vs newcomers. I'm a member of a couple of FB groups from other areas where new people and therefore new skills seem to be embraced. I'd immerse in a communities view rather than just the view from the kitchen window.

N. Scotland is lovely when the sun is shining in May, not so much when it is raining in the brief daylight in January.

Living in the middle of nowhere is wonderful if you need nothing. If you want a pub, a takeaway a post office etc then a viable village or small town is a must.

I've not got an answer yet, just more questions.
I'm of a remarkably similar mind there rich. Obviously the town I live in is slightly bigger, with slightly more 'stuff' but also with more negatives.

My wife feels the need for rail links as she prefers not to drive. I feel like I'd enjoy the middle of nowhere but admit it may wear thin.

I always liked the idea of a small village, near a slightly bigger town. Something like heptonstall. Village shop and a pub type.
Mind you, when I wanted to live there I used to spend a little time in the sportsman pub and a little time over the bridestones.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Way back when I was a student, I lived in a rented cottage in the Scottish Borders. The estate had a cottage I always lusted after, a few miles up a track, off grid.
NT 29510 32036
Private estate, no chance of the Laird selling it so never got beyond a dream.

Once I was working, I spent a while looking for remote places in the Borders and Northumberland, and ended up buying a place out in the hills near Eskdalemuir. Towns and shops all an hours drive, neighbours a mile or more. You learn to stock the cupboards and freezers. Remote was no problem, but the midges made half the year unbearable. I was fortunate in my work, self employed most of my life and able to work remotely provided there is comms.

Spent a year or two where my base was near Lymmington, and then Redhill. Enough time to know they weren’t for me. One of my life’s lessons, best way to determine what you want is identify what you don’t want.

On a trip to the Ariege about 20 years ago I spotted you could pick up small barns for 10-15k, they’d been half sorted - water, electric, sanitation but were typically just two rooms and a bathroom. I had a plan which never hatched to buy about a dozen in a loop, start a running walking and/or cycling holidays. Unfortunately I didn’t have the balls at the time - kids etc. Stunning area to spend time though, and one day I’ll spend a few months a year out there - once the family responsibilities are reduced.

Have lived on the edge of Shropshire hills for the last decade or so which I have found to be surprisingly good for the things I like to do.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

RIP wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:43 pm
JohnClimber wrote: small home on the Llŷn
How're the Welsh lessons coming along JC? :wink: .
The wife is fluent in it, I know the odd word but retirement would give me time to learn more
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

We are considering renting our place and doing an extended camper tour of the places we think might suit us, to get a better feel for them and scout properties. Then there’s always the option to rent somewhere for a few months before committing to the move.

I’m glad no one’s said anything negative about the Shropshire hills yet, as that’s top of my list at the moment.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:14 pm
But if I win the Euro millions tomorrow night you'll find me here on the Llŷn Peninsula.

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/661 ... D-JwKpqKeA
John, that is 'kin horrible. Think of what you could buy for 3 million and besides, why would anyone want to live in Cheshire on Sea?
I agree - most of the £3million is for the location and view, the house is too clinical, for me. No sign of a garden or workshop
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps have a word with Al Charles. He moved from the flatlands up to Bishops Castle and seems to be enjoying it.
I agree - most of the £3million is for the location and view, the house is too clinical, for me. No sign of a garden or workshop
Abersoch is an awful place. It's full of the moneyed Cheshire set with jet skies and Pingle jumpers.

You could buy this and have 1.3m left and there 2 cottages with it.

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:51 am
RIP wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:43 pm
JohnClimber wrote: small home on the Llŷn
How're the Welsh lessons coming along JC? :wink: .
The wife is fluent in it, I know the odd word but retirement would give me time to learn more
:-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Charliecres wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:54 am
I’m glad no one’s said anything negative about the Shropshire hills yet, as that’s top of my list at the moment.
Ssh! One town that's on my list is Shrewsbury itself. Would have to be smack in the middle though. Five railway lines (six if you include the Central Wales) to all points of the compass including all of Wales (direct train to Maesteg of all places!!), all the shops you need etc. Trouble is the health services in the area have been crap recently if one believes the reports, and around the river gets a bit, er, soggy these days. Maybe we could set up a rest/care home for old Boners.

Either there or Sheffield or Cardiff will do me.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

benp1

Post by benp1 »

I had the edge of Sheffield high on initial my list. Just outside the centre heading West, then Dore/Totley area, then slowly creeping towards the Hope Valley. Seemed ace, but too far for me to get to work

I've found the process of selecting an area really tricky. Trying to balance what the adults want with what the kids want now and might want in future is really hard. Then finding a house you like in that sweet spot makes it even harder!

EDIT - I was limiting myself to places with an accessible train connection. Amazing how many nice places just aren't on or near a train line
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

GregMay wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:48 pm
In Reverse wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 pm Manchester please. It's got the best banter. :cool:
No. Having lived there for many years. No.

The problem is that you have to drive to get to anywhere good. Which is a waste of time. The riding locally is flat and boring.

I wasted so many hours driving places to ride , run or climb that I got frustrated and moved where I could do all that from my door without the car AND work in Manchester.

Living in any city bewilders me anyway.
You clearly have absolutely dreadful banter GregMay. :sad:

I can be at the edge of the Peaks in about a 15 minute drive tbf, or a 45 minute ride along a cycleway.

And, more importantly, I'm about a fiver in an Uber from a city centre where every band plays on a tour and where there are clubs/bars to go get mashed off your pipes well into the small hours.
RIP

Post by RIP »

In Reverse wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:22 pm
GregMay wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:48 pm
In Reverse wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 pm Manchester please. It's got the best banter. :cool:
No. Having lived there for many years. No.

The problem is that you have to drive to get to anywhere good. Which is a waste of time. The riding locally is flat and boring.

I wasted so many hours driving places to ride , run or climb that I got frustrated and moved where I could do all that from my door without the car AND work in Manchester.

Living in any city bewilders me anyway.
And, more importantly, I'm about a fiver in an Uber from a city centre where every band plays on a tour and where there are clubs/bars to go get mashed off your pipes well into the small hours.
You young people :roll: :grin:

(PS. Any bars where they do Ovaltine at 10pm?)

slarge

Post by slarge »

benp1 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:57 am
EDIT - I was limiting myself to places with an accessible train connection. Amazing how many nice places just aren't on or near a train line
Are they nice because there's no train line or do train lines not go through nice places?
---------------------

We kind of need a teleporting machine where you can step out of the door of your lovely cottage on the edge of a lovely village with a pub next door into the Highlands (in May and October), the Lake District (Mar and Sept), Peak District or Wales (June/August) and nice beaches (July) - and probably Spain between November and Feb. Anyone got one they're thinking of putting up for sale?
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

RIP wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:27 pm You young people :roll: :grin:

(PS. Any bars where they do Ovaltine at 10pm?)
As soon as you start acting like an old person you basically are on old person Reginald.

Do the things you enjoy imo - if that includes getting out on the smash then have at it. :-bd

PS. You might have to smuggle your Ovaltine in inside your boxers and hope the bouncers aren't doing full searches :wink:
Last edited by In Reverse on Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP

Post by RIP »

slarge wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:29 pm and probably Spain between November and Feb.
Nah :wink: . Easily the best time of year to be in the UK. Preferably inside a remote Welsh boozer with a fire on and a longcase clock ticking in the corner, with your bike parked outside in the snow.