Where would you live in the UK...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Where would you live in the UK...

Post by benp1 »

We've been thinking about this for years, I live in North London and want to live somewhere hillier and more outdoorsy. One of the few Covid benefits has been the impact on how most office based workers work, me included. I used to cycle into central London everyday, have been into the office 4 times since the end of March

We spent quite a bit of last year exploring various areas, when allowed. eg Peak District, Cotswolds and Chilterns. I still need to be able to get into the office without having to stay over so that's limited my options somewhat.

We'll be moving down to the southern edge of the South Downs - moving from suburbian London to a village, hopefully by the end of next month. Still have a few shops/pubs and amenities, plus a train station. Proper shops and services a short drive away. Sea is 4 miles south, loads of great riding and walking from the front door. Planning to do much more biviing this year because the opportunity is now there. Very excited, bit of a gamble as we don't know anyone down there and all our family/friends are where we live.

It's a risk, a calculated one, but I'm hoping it'll pay off. I'd rather try and regret it, than regret not having tried. But it seems I'm not alone in a London exodus
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

We moved last year. I'm not going to make any great claims about it, nor is it particularly where I imagined I'd "end up" but it works for us and especially my teenage kids. I grew up in the arse-end-of-nowhere in Lincolnshire, went away to a school in a small market town and worked in West Cumbria for a few years.

My Mum's partner dying late last year, breaking her hip a month ago and coming to stay with us for recuperation / who knows how long has brought a couple of things into sharp focus regarding location, facilities and support. Much as others have mentioned.

Of minor amusement whilst some of you are talking of upping sticks and settling far away my house move was next door. Not metaphorically but literally, physically next-door :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

We're already looking at the house we want next. When I say "looking at", it's the one across the road.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Spring days in Mint Sauce land
This is enough 'remoteness' for me, although I'm not able to access it, at the moment, as it's not quite as local as I'd like.

My relatively modest plan would be to move to a reasonable sized town/village, nearer to the South Downs, to a modest house with a bigger garden, and room for a workshop/garage.
Access to a pub and a shop, with a friendly community, and both myself and my wife would be sorted.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think a lot depends on "you": your social needs; how you interact with others; etc. Some people "need" the presence of others regardless of whether or not they actually interact with them in any meaningful way. There's also the anonymity of living in a large town or city that you don't get in smaller communities - a friend moved from London to Ulverston (South Lakes) and really couldn't get used to the fact that people knew so much about him. The flip side to that was that his house was "watched" when he went on holiday!

I grew up in an "isolated" rural location (these days a mile and a half outside a village is nothing). Of course back in the early 1960s people weren't as mobile but even so, apart from family and the occasional farm supply rep and the guy with the grocery van, I didn't see anyone until I went to school at the age of five. Consequently I'm quite happy with my own company.

We now live in a similarly "remote" location though there are two other properties converted from the old farm buildings next to us so not "isolated". The couple next door moved to one of Skipton's satellite villages about fifteen months ago as they were getting into their seventies and didn't want to be so far from assistance should things go wrong - our steep 25% lane is currently covered in snow for example.

As Stu mentions, amenities are pretty distant, increased car ownership has meant that shops, etc. are now centralised in larger villages and towns where they are commercially viable.

You have to accept that there's no perfect place just somewhere with the fewest compromises.

Roots. My heart is still back at the farm where I grew up, but being from a farming background I'm the latest of many generations who've lived there plus the majority of my relations are in the area. I'm doing bits of walling at the moment there for my brother who's always lived there. I was there yesterday, if I hadn't seen him I wouldn't have seen anyone from leaving home to getting back home twelve hours later.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Our early retirement plan is a coastal spot on the Llŷn Peninsula.

Alternatively, coastal Northumberland or the Isle of Islay
psling

Post by psling »

I have done things slightly differently and this ties in nicely with the pensions thread.
I made sure my two daughters, now in their thirties, both got on the housing ladder with their first houses, downsized and then went mobile (full time van-life) a couple of years ago.
As a result I get to live anywhere that takes my fancy :-bd
However, still working keeps me in my local area most of the time and the whole covid thing has created its own challenges, so it's not all a bed of roses. I guess everything comes with it own compromises.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Where I live now. Val and I both love Aviemore as well (it's our favourite place to visit) but as she suffers from a chronic illness which is periodically very debilitating and requires hospital treatment being close to and familiar with the facilities we have here is the most practical solution. 30 miles one way puts me in the middle of Glasgow (which I avoid like the plague unless really necessary tbh), 30 miles the other way puts me at the start of the HT550. Hard to beat in my book.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I live in a small village in Essex and have always wanted to live somewhere remote but work and family have always meant staying put and a long drive for me to get my hit of hills and it's something I have grown use to.
Essex actually has some great riding but not much MTB stuff, another plus is the lack of tourists and the lowest rainfall in the country which means you can get a ride in every day and not get wet.
I like the idea of the North West of Scotland but the long winter, midges and additional travelling for foreign jaunts are distinct disadvantages.
My current plan when things align is to have Essex as a base but spend chunks of time in the hilly places at the right time of year, like Southern Spain in the winter, Highlands in the Spring etc.
You get the idea :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
jameso

Post by jameso »

the lowest rainfall in the country
I don't think of myself as a particularly soft rider but having a couple of friends either from or living in Wales, this does cross my mind. The SE gets more sunshine and less rain than the places I'd rather be. That's where the south downs across to Wiltshire has some appeal. I can see the appeal in being in Scotland too - may be wet and darker in winter but when it's good it's stunning. And when it's wet it's sometimes not as bad as you think it'll be, some places suit the low grey cloud. Wales is like that. Sometimes :grin:
Jameso, I agree about appreciating the southern downs. I love where we are - apart from too many people and too much money.
That's it for me - house prices are nuts, affordable or not I just can't bring myself to settle here when I could be elsewhere with more choice over location/situation or money for other things. Plus, 'hell is other people'. And to some extent the traffic noise that's not easy to get away from.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Climate-wise, the Moray coast has a lot to offer. Much, much warmer than here next to the mountains and a lot drier too as we get their rain. Similarly with the Black Isle. There's a good reason so many airfields were built around the Moray Firth.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'd love to move to the Lakes, it's still a dream I'd like to make reality, but my wife isn't as keen. Many times we've been up there the weather has really put her off.

It does make the SE more appealing in that regard, but trying to find hilly/interesting areas is that bit harder.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Manchester please. It's got the best banter. :cool:

Easy access to the Peaks/Pennies too. Easy drive to Lakes/Wales for a change of scenery.

If I wasn't so keen on riding bikes I'd probably move back to London. That's got the second best banter.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I'd have little bolt holes all over the place rather than be stuck in one town forever. Like where I live a lot but variety is the spice of life and all that
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
slarge

Post by slarge »

Northumberland or Yorkshire Dales for me - but would have to be the right place in the right location. Unlikely we'll ever actually move though as the pull of parents, children and home is too strong.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was thinking about this in the workshop this afternoon and I've decided, I'd like an island. Doesn't need to be big, just an island.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:20 pm I was thinking about this in the workshop this afternoon and I've decided, I'd like an island. Doesn't need to be big, just an island.
The island in Derwent Water would be ace :-bd
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I like to live in the house a saw on my jogle, I think it was on Loch Lomond, very nice property right on the shore. The real clincher was the float plane which I watched take off and disappear over the hills.
Back in the real world I really don’t like where I live now, Banbury used to be a much smaller market town, I felt friendly. Much busier now and I dread having to go shopping on the weekend due to the traffic.
I grew up in Deal on the Kent coast, last place I lived there came with views of the French coast, at night the sounds were waves crashing on the pebbles and rigging clinking against masts, 18 year old BDS would cycle a mile up the coast and up onto the cliffs then onto the downs, itchy feet took me travelling abroad and accidentally to Banbury on return. For many years I tried to convince my wife to move to Devon, we used to spend about a month a year there, great riding, beaches and nicer people.
Now we’ve split it’s even less of an option, realistically I need to close to London where most of my work is and near my Son, Marlborough in Wiltshire keeps piquing my interest. There is something on a pull to the south west, I can’t really explain it but I feel at home there. Some great riding on the downs, close enough to work and my Son, easy access to Wales and the coast.
I’ll most likely pay another visit via the ridgeway and Avebury after lockdown perhaps another visit to the Barge inn at honeystreet too.....perhaps my future lies on a widebeam canal boat moored outside?
I think within a couple of years I’ll be seriously considering it. Anything but this soulless town where shopping seems to be the main leisure activity.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Marlborough in Wiltshire keeps piquing my interest.
No Steve, just no. Nice looking town..but it’s Hooray Henry central. I used to ride through there most weekends and it was rare to not be assaulted by some Fauntleroy in a Range Rover.

If you want to know what it’s really like then take an Afternoon Tea in the Polly Tea Rooms. I’ll say no more until you’ve experienced it.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Al

Post by Al »

I moved to South Shropshire hills 3yrs ago. I grew up in the Peaks and it has a similar feel, but with less people.

The riding is great locally and there's fantastic off road routes to the Welsh coast that start from the door.

Civilisation isn't a million miles away if you like that sort of thing.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:52 am Our early retirement plan is a coastal spot on the Llŷn Peninsula.

Alternatively, coastal Northumberland or the Isle of Islay
Like Dave says a small home on the Llŷn and a woodland area of my own for the motorhome to park up on the others would be perfect.

But if I win the Euro millions tomorrow night you'll find me here on the Llŷn Peninsula.

https://www.onthemarket.com/details/661 ... D-JwKpqKeA
RIP

Post by RIP »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:23 pm
Marlborough in Wiltshire keeps piquing my interest.
No Steve, just no. Nice looking town..but it’s Hooray Henry central. I used to ride through there most weekends and it was rare to not be assaulted by some Fauntleroy in a Range Rover.

If you want to know what it’s really like then take an Afternoon Tea in the Polly Tea Rooms. I’ll say no more until you’ve experienced it.
Absolutely! And.... ker-CHING!!!!!!

Mrs P's mate bought (sorry, I mean 'rendered herself into debt servitude for the rest of her days') a cutesy-wootsy thatched cottage there. Impossible to heat. Has to wear six layers of thermals even in August.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

JohnClimber wrote: small home on the Llŷn
How're the Welsh lessons coming along JC? :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

In Reverse wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 pm Manchester please. It's got the best banter. :cool:
No. Having lived there for many years. No.

The problem is that you have to drive to get to anywhere good. Which is a waste of time. The riding locally is flat and boring.

I wasted so many hours driving places to ride , run or climb that I got frustrated and moved where I could do all that from my door without the car AND work in Manchester.

Living in any city bewilders me anyway.