Do you like giant cassettes?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Do you like giant cassettes?

Post by FLV »

Before too long i'll need to replace my cassette, chain and ring. My mech is getting a little 'floppy' too which has led me down the rabbit hole a bit.

I started looking at the latest drivetrains and note that we now have the option of 10-45 or 10-51 in shimano or 10-50 or 10-42 SRAM

Now, thanks for the 10t rather than 11t but why take my 46t away? I dont need 51t, I cant just up my chain ring size to compensate as im maxed out on my frame (ignoring the way ratios actually calculate)

I know i could hunt down some old spec parts currently but that wont last (maybe)

So im wondering, is it me that was happy with these ratios and the general public wanted something else?
Do i just fear change and should embrace the new ratios?

(I know, the most logical step is drop the ring 2 teeth and get the 10-45)
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Do you like giant cassettes?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's beginning to look like every bike has a Shimano 7sp Mega Range cassette on ... how time flies, takes me back, etc :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Industry's desperate attempts to make pedalling a bike as easy as one of those leccy ones, innit?

Now, where's my tin hat :???:

:wink: :cool:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It’s amusing that standard free hubs are no longer the standard
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:31 am It’s amusing that standard free hubs are no longer the standard
Well on the road side of things there's always* been Shimano and Campagnolo. Sram still use Shimano's spline pattern for their lower end stuff, it's just the 10T sprocket that messes things up as you can't fit that on the original/classic/standard hub. From a consumer point of view it would be nice if they (Shimano, Sram & Campagnolo) had got together and agreed on a common spline pattern for the new hubs.

*OK, since Shimano came on the scene.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
slarge

Post by slarge »

Free hub standards are a bit of a joke I think - we have Hope, Shimano, SRAM (and Campag) - and there's probably some more for niche hubs. But each manufacturer has invested in their own standard and I can't see any convergence (although Hope will probably move towards SRAM or Shimano). The only good thing is that most hubs take multiple freehub types.

And yes, having choice is good with ratios, but I wonder what problem is being fixed sometimes....
Mart

Post by Mart »

The bigger cassettes give you a good range, which when run 1x is similar to an old 2x set up
however with a big cassette the jumps between gears are larger

I quite like 2x with a slightly closer ratio (smaller cassette)
my new frame is 1x only, wonder why they did this as it just limits the options
2924 miles per Gallon
FLV

Post by FLV »

So, we all are mostly annoyed about freehubs?

I would be annoyed, but I dont really like the HG ones so once I gradually change over I will likely be happier. But that may depend on which I choose*...

*this will likely be based on which one I can get / understand which parts to swap in my hubs
Last edited by FLV on Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Mart wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:06 am my new frame is 1x only, wonder why they did this as it just limits the options
Even as a 1x fan I agree with this. Reasons I can think of are that it allows wider tyres (there's a minimum clearance between chain and tyre) and it allows for shorter chainstays. I'm sure Jameso will have a few more.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dropping a front mech does allow more suspension design options.

Most non-suspension frames can easily be converted to 2x though.

Given I have 2x on a fatbike and on a B+ bike, tyre clearance shouldn't be an issue.
FLV

Post by FLV »

On the topic of freehubs. Are there any major pitfalls of Microspline or XD?

Does microspline still suffer from the smaller rings chewing up the spline and getting stuck?
Does the XD get stuck on?
slarge

Post by slarge »

FLV wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:56 am On the topic of freehubs. Are there any major pitfalls of Microspline or XD?

Does microspline still suffer from the smaller rings chewing up the spline and getting stuck?
I haven't had an issue with XD getting stuck on, however the thread always feels "tight", so I am worried about durability of the threads. Most threads have a design life - just hope any freehub/cassette is measured in the 10's not 1's.....
FLV

Post by FLV »

slarge wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:20 am
FLV wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:56 am On the topic of freehubs. Are there any major pitfalls of Microspline or XD?

I haven't had an issue with XD getting stuck on, however the thread always feels "tight", so I am worried about durability of the threads. Most threads have a design life - just hope any freehub/cassette is measured in the 10's not 1's.....
Ta
rocklobstercat

Post by rocklobstercat »

I'm still using 3x10 and don't plan to change it any time soon. Works flawlessly (if maintained properly) and gives me all the gears I need. 😁
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

They all seem to work fine so bash on. When I first went 1x the 42T looked like a dinner plate but I'll probably switch to 10-50 when I run out of 10 speed cassettes. Front ring is the key - 26 or 28 gives a good granny gear with a 46 and you don't miss the taller gears.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Can't you just use a Sunrace Dave?

edit - apologies if this has been answered, couldn't be bothered reading the thread. :-bd
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

The 10t sprocket must wear pretty quickly? Probably not a problem when you are mainly off road and use it to help you on shallow downhills on the odd bit of road or smooth track but for sustained use it seems a bit dinky.
jameso

Post by jameso »

whitestone wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:46 am
Mart wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:06 am my new frame is 1x only, wonder why they did this as it just limits the options
Even as a 1x fan I agree with this. Reasons I can think of are that it allows wider tyres (there's a minimum clearance between chain and tyre) and it allows for shorter chainstays. I'm sure Jameso will have a few more.
Not sure I do tbh - the cynic in me says there's marketable spec or perceived feature-benefit opportunity to be had in that combo of short stays and big tyres, but I can't remember riding a bike where I wanted shorter stays on it (though I haven't ridden a recent Rivendell...). Ridden plenty that could have been better with a bit more chainstay length though. Admittedly it's been a long time since I rode a jumpy little hardtail where a short back end does feel better.

Otherwise yes I can see it helping with FS design. 1x only on an MTB of the sort I wouldn't ride for more than maybe 5-6hrs, and prioritised technical ability over all else eg a 140+mm FS bike, why not. Makes sense on a bike like that if you're weighing up all the pros/cons.
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

I love them, they're a key part of what I look for when/if I'm looking at new purchases.

The fact is, been a "cyclist" for maybe 6 years now, 4 on road, and the last 2 off.

There are that many things to consider with triples and 8-9-10 speed setups when you're a newbie that from a simplicity point of view, a marketing piece told me I'd have the same range with just 1x12, so that's what I did.

I've now got three off road bikes. All have a 50t largest on the rear but with 11t smallest so I can use cheaper casettes and older wheels. I'm tight like that.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

FLV wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:43 am So, we all are mostly annoyed about freehubs?
For me, no. I like the XD stuff. But then we ride in different places and whilst I also feel the downsides of the large jumps on an Eagle cassette, the benefits easily outweight them.

My trailbikes clear 34 t and can take 29 x 2.6" and have chainstays shorter than 440 mm (one of them could still take a dm front derailleur). Choice for bikes to suit such specs seem a bit limited though.
techno

Post by techno »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:25 pm Can't you just use a Sunrace Dave?

edit - apologies if this has been answered, couldn't be bothered reading the thread. :-bd
That would be my answer too. Sunrace do 42-12 and 46-12 I think. In 10, 11 and 12sp flavours (more options too).
https://www.sunrace.com/en/products/cassettes-mtb
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

When 3x and 2x was the thing it was straightforward to get the ratios you wanted and even some spare capacity in reserve... 1x may be great in some ways but there is always talk of where you have to compromise in terms of ratios, chainline, durability, how fussy it is to tune into and maintian good shifting etc.

People seem to like it though and in some ways I do. So is it here to stay? Or will we see a return to front shifters?
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm just not really bothered one way or the other really.

3x7-8 worked fine in the '90s, 3x9 worked fine until fairly recently, 2x10 worked fine (and still is on two bikes) and and 1x11-12 works fine on the rest of my bikes now.

Sram and Shimano both work well.

Setup has never been a problem. Longevity hasn't been an issue. Reliability hasn't been an issue. Big gaps between gears hasn't been an issue. Overlap/repetition of gearing was never an issue.

:-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

gairym wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:39 am I'm just not really bothered one way or the other really.

3x7-8 worked fine in the '90s, 3x9 worked fine until fairly recently, 2x10 worked fine (and still is on two bikes) and and 1x11-12 works fine on the rest of my bikes now.

Sram and Shimano both work well.

Setup has never been a problem. Longevity hasn't been an issue. Reliability hasn't been an issue. Big gaps between gears hasn't been an issue. Overlap/repetition of gearing was never an issue.

:-bd
That's a fairly accurate summary of my experiences too :-bd

I run out of gears at the low end, sometimes, with the "typically fitted" front ring on a 1x so usually need to go down a size or two. Makes me think a 2x might be the more versatile option in a pinch but for most situations, most of the riding, most of the time, I'm happy with the simples of 1x.

Kinda me all over that ("simples") :roll:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

2x might be the more versatile option in a pinch but for most situations, most of the riding, most of the time, I'm happy with the simples of 1x.
Agreed but my bikepacking bikes both have a granny ring - all be it i "ghost shift" to them - which means I just heel kick the chain on to it - its only 25 g heavier than a 1 x and the only downside is you need to change up manually obvs
the advantage is i ride with a 36 ring which i would never do if it was my only ring [ 32 or 30 usually for 1 x]