Really?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Really?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know it perhaps depends on how you view 'system' but this seems a far fetched statement.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Re: Really?

Post by Dave Barter »

They have missed out "they've"
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's what I though too Dave.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I know quite a few bikepackers that swear by the original one of these. They're utterly massive, and seem to heat up about 20 seconds quicker (at best) than much smaller / lighter options.

I just don't get it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

are you suggesting there's lighter?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm suggesting that many things would be lighter Dave. However, as I've said, that will depend on what you see as constituting a 'system' but even something like an MSR Pocket Rocket coupled with MSR Titan Kettle will weigh less than 200g. Go down the meths, solid fuel or even wood route and weights will reduce further.

I think Dave's right when he says the the caption should read 'At 200g Jetboil's Stash is the lightest stove system they've ever made'.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:00 pm
I'm suggesting that many things would be lighter Dave. However, as I've said, that will depend on what you see as constituting a 'system' but even something like an MSR Pocket Rocket coupled with MSR Titan Kettle will weigh less than 200g. Go down the meths, solid fuel or even wood route and weights will reduce further.

I think Dave's right when he says the the caption should read 'At 200g Jetboil's Stash is the lightest stove system they've ever made'.
I didnt expect an actual response :lol:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Richard G wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:44 pm I know quite a few bikepackers that swear by the original one of these. They're utterly massive, and seem to heat up about 20 seconds quicker (at best) than much smaller / lighter options.

I just don't get it.
I use mine a lot for backpacking and some bikepacking. It's not that much bigger or heavier than my Ti mug/tiny gas unit, but it works really well in poor show weather, particularly wind.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I legit couldn't fit it in my pack for bikepacking. I can see the appeal more for backpacking though.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

:-bd
Finally some adress the whole picture.

I've stated this many times before and here I go again:
Since Jetboil is so fuel efficient, the system (incl. fuel) could be lighter than any other under certain circumstances. I have a stripped down first generation Jetboil and it is very fuel efficient. Gas is also much more fuel dense than meths.

Do the maths for a trip where you want to boil 20 L at above freezing (about 10 day solo trip in cool climate in my case). It will also work with shorter trips of 5 days if you require 2 L/day, or 10 days at 1 L; there are a few option in real life, where an efficient gas stove wins, despite the canister weight.
If you never go on a self reliant trip of such duration, don't bother. If you do and you're a weight weenie (which you all clearly are), do the maths with your numbers (experience from outdoor use of your various stoves obviously), add in their main target group (backpacking trips in North America of a weeks duration?) and find, that there is some truth in what seems a bold statement from Jetboil.

Only other lighter stove system would be making a fire, which comes with many other downsides.

These facts don't become false, just because I think this is not what they meant with their claim.

And lets no forget, that at the beginning of a trip your total weight is heaviest (food, fuel and other consumables) and likely the point, were you want to keep your total weight as low as possible. Towards the end of the trip, when food and fuel are less, you don't have to worry about the weight of the empty canister.

So... in my opinion:
Jetboil 1, Bearbones 0

Or to answer the thread title:
Yes, really.

:wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

200 g it is.
Likely with all it comes.
Leave the canister stands at home and the heavy lid too, make an alu lid instead.
Probably 50 g saved.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sorry Gian but you've added an awful lot of caveats to that, which I'm afraid still don't alter the fact that the statement 'the lightest stove system ever made' is wrong and misleading. They didn't say, this is the lightest system 'if' and 'but'. :wink:

We can also forget meths or open fires too because there's lighter gas 'systems' out there.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Nothing special about the above.
Merely an open stove and a heat exchanger pan.
I used to use similar.
However, recent bikepacking (and backpacking) trips have been with a friend using her MSR windburner.
I’m sold on the windburner.
Yes, it’s bigger and heavier than the standard stove.
But
So much more gas efficient.
As said above, burn time equals gas.
Gas equals weight.

As an aside, the windburner is not affected by the wind.
For the two of us it is ideal.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:42 am Sorry Gian but you've added an awful lot of caveats to that, which I'm afraid still don't alter the fact that the statement 'the lightest stove system ever made' is wrong and misleading. They didn't say, this is the lightest system 'if' and 'but'. :wink:

We can also forget meths or open fires too because there's lighter gas 'systems' out there.
To be fair, I don’t see the stash as a stove system.
Merely an open burner stove with a pan.

Taking the windburner type of stove, they are designed to work as a system. Heck, it is difficult to use a “normal” pan.

Just seems marketing calling the stash a “system”
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Aye. Just had a look at it. It's no more a "system" than my Optimus Terra and stove are.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just weighed an Alpkit Kraku and 650ml mug. Total 143g. Substitute a BRS stove for the Kraku and that drops to 123g. It seems somewhat lighter than 200g.
chris n

Post by chris n »

It’s just marketing bollocks. Don’t get hung up on it. :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'll give them a pass on calling it a system as it is a "one stop shop" to get all the components and it fits together and has notches to make the pan more secure, etc.

Also, looking at their Web page confirms Sweary Dave's comment, lots of mentions that it's the lightest jetboil, not lightest ever.

If I'm not pushed for space Indo like my jetboil or clone. Fast and faff free for doing a cuppa.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:29 am :-bd
Finally some adress the whole picture.
A fair point
I've stated this many times before and here I go again:
As someone with some of the greatest experience in This Place, Gian, particularly expedition-wise, we luckily gain masses from that, and one genuinely salutes you, go again and again :-bd
gas is also much more fuel dense than meths.
no doubt at all
Do the maths for a trip
But this is where the debate starts :smile: . You refer to 20L... 5 days... 2L/day.... North America...etc. Pretty much an expedition.
there is some truth in what seems a bold statement from Jetboil.
ah, some truth not total truth then :wink:
These facts don't become false, just because I think this is not what they meant with their claim.
Your facts don't become false, no. But their "fact" is totally separate from yours. What they meant is different from what they said: "the lightest stove system ever made".

Anyway, something called "a system" always gets my back up. It's a stove with a pot on.
So... in my opinion:
Jetboil 1, Bearbones 0

Or to answer the thread title:
Yes, really.

Nice that we all have different opinions :smile:

Mine is that at best JB: 1, BB: 1.

Even Carlsberg had to admit and qualify with "probably" :grin:

Last edited by RIP on Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:57 am, edited 8 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oops! I took so long to type that, and go shopping half way through, that there's a few "dittos" in before me already :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It’s just marketing bollocks. Don’t get hung up on it.
I think it's the lazy journalism I find annoying :wink:
Also, looking at their Web page confirms Sweary Dave's comment, lots of mentions that it's the lightest jetboil, not lightest ever.
Yes Nige. The quote came from Outdoors Magic.
If I'm not pushed for space Indo like my jetboil or clone. Fast and faff free for doing a cuppa.
They're very good and I'll sometimes take one if we're off out int' van.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:41 am
Oh. So our whole debate should instead [have been / be] about whether OM have misquoted or not then?! Well that was a waste of a brew :smile: . The next question - if we can be remotely arsed now :wink: - is: was OM quoting an actual JB quote, or was OM incorrectly paraphrasing.

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Surely you must be terrified about the extra weight and the sink hole in your access track :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Surely you must be terrified about the extra weight and the sink hole in your access track
I only go as far as the hole before brewing up. :-bd
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Six of the best to Outdoors Magic for skim reading the press release too quickly! :lol:

Argh, you've quoted me so no tidying that typo! :lol: