Which Carradice do I want...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Which Carradice do I want...

Post by redefined_cycles »

So, backstory is that winter will be coming to an end soon enough. But most likely the need to carry my respirator into work will not (self inflicted cos I refuse to shave off my beard and get one of them puny respirators the Trust provide, which cause all sorts of pressure damage to the non-bearded face/face-ette).

Briefly had a fleeting idea to grab a pannier and get one of them hideous pannier bags. But that I quickly managed to brush aside. Am thinking the obvious choice for me would be another Carradice. But which one should I buy.

Last Carradice that kinda worked for me was a Nelson from Ton. 13L I believe and if packed carefully it'd hold my Respirator in the main compartment. Plus, with it being duck cotton I'm lead to believe it was totally waterproof (as the ducks material swells up in the rain stopping water getting through). I need it to be 100% waterproof.

So which one would you buy if in my predicament. My thinking is that if I got a 15L+ version then I could easily double it up for bikepacking duties (specifically to carry my gear for the Way of the Roses once it's all legit to ride).

https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/saddlebags

Anyone got any specifical thoughts. I'm also reckoning that a bagman support would be great for me to allow quick removal off the bike once I get into work. It's a 2.5ish hour ride so once bike's parked up I like to try and move as quickly as poss to the changing room to be ready and in time for handover...
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Which Carradice do I want...

Clearance from my saddle rail to top of tyre is 29cm. Lighter would obviously be better as it might save a few minutes...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Nelson longflap would probably suit in tea of capacity. Anything you want to stay dry, I'd pop it inside a drybag. Reckon a bagman would be a good idea for a bag that size.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Who said 'panniers'? Nah, I must have imagined it :smile:

No.. don't. Just don't. Ignore this post. Move along :grin:

Or was it 'paneers'? Yes that must have been it. All those Friday night takeaway curries.

Yes yes, that would be it. Forget I even mentioned them... not that I did mention them of course.... noooo-o-o-o.... ssssshhhhh.. I mean 'it' not 'them'.

Jehovah.

Shush.

Curry. Cheese. Yum. Mm mmm.

:wink:
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:28 pm Nelson longflap would probably suit in tea of capacity. Anything you want to stay dry, I'd pop it inside a drybag. Reckon a bagman would be a good idea for a bag that size.
Yes... this is what was my line of thought go towards (erm... you know what I mean).
redefined_cycles

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:39 pm Who said 'panniers'? Nah, I must have imagined it :smile:

No.. don't. Just don't.

Or was it 'paneers'? Yes that must have been it. All those Friday night takeaway curries.

Yes yes, that would be it. Forget I even mentioned them...noooo-o-o-o.... ssssshhhhh.. I mean 'it' not 'them'.

Jehovah.

Shush.

:wink:
Erm... did someone actually say panniers? They must've been on q night shift and trying to reset the body clock quickly for a day shift ... Penniers, eurgh :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

No you imagined it! Shh!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Out of interest and nothing to do with carradice although I rate their bags highly

How did you manage to get a proper face fit seal with a beard we are not allowed facial hair due to it being impossible , apparently, to get a full safe seal

Oh and the front panniers are ace
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Super C, if you ask me. Lighter/same weight as the similar longflap types, quick release buckles and extra storage space for the inevitable 'I'll just pick up some shopping on the way home/carry some extra clothes' moments. Pair with either a bagman QR or the SQR depending on anticipated load and seat post material.
redefined_cycles

firestarter wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:54 am Out of interest and nothing to do with carradice although I rate their bags highly

How did you manage to get a proper face fit seal with a beard we are not allowed facial hair due to it being impossible , apparently, to get a full safe seal

Oh and the front panniers are ace
Hi Firestarter.... I think you must be talking about the none-air powered?? Air Powered Respirators (PAPR but I forgrt what the first P stands for)... Air powered because its constantly blowing in filtered air it doesn't technically need a proper seal (though mine feels sealed)..
redefined_cycles

AlexGold wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:24 am Super C, if you ask me. Lighter/same weight as the similar longflap types, quick release buckles and extra storage space for the inevitable 'I'll just pick up some shopping on the way home/carry some extra clothes' moments. Pair with either a bagman QR or the SQR depending on anticipated load and seat post material.
Yes... I looked at Super C but couldn't understand the advantage. Thanks for explaing about the buckles/Qrelease v belts thing. That'll be the one then.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I right i see, ours are positive pressure but we need a seal or we would leak air out you lot must be not so fussed at running out of air as us in a fire lol
Where as in the army it wasn't positive pressure and we definitely needed a seal as we found out in the has chamber full of Cs 🤣🤣
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I ran a low saddle longflap camper on my ECR

Nice bag, not light though. More real world waterproof than many xpac bags in much the same way as paramo clothing.
The longflap bags are very useful for extras which you pick up on the way.

Would I buy another one? Probably not, I’ve finally managed to leave my Bigdummy and touring mentally behind, I’d find a suitable bag and fit it with a rixen kaul adapter plate and a matching handle bar or seat post mount.
Don’t discount panniers, a set of front panniers on the back are cheap, totally waterproof and easy to disconnect. They are also big enough to do a little shop on the way home or pack a change of clothes. I spent some time without a car but with a family, Bikepacking luggage just wouldn’t have cut it, when it comes to utility a rack and bags make sense.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

Thanks for that pic Steve... panniers, hmmm, erm... I might resist the temptation. Especially after having sold the tubus rack for a measly sum after minimal usage...
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I’ve not read the thread so apologies

But if an SQR Super C Slim would work let me know. I’ve a well used but still fully functional one here I can’t quite be bothered to sell and would part with for postage and a small donation to the RNLI.
redefined_cycles

Piemonster wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:37 am I’ve not read the thread so apologies

But if an SQR Super C Slim would work let me know. I’ve a well used but still fully functional one here I can’t quite be bothered to sell and would part with for postage and a small donation to the RNLI.
Might work for me. Thanks v much. You've been mailed :-bd