Jones truss fork on another bike ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: Jones truss fork on another bike ?

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:49 pm Ooh I do like that Colin.

Someone I know rides this :wink:
Kill it with fire!
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bedmaker wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:51 pm I don't have much to add to the OP along with what's been said above.

Just came here to add a gratuitous pic of my custom truss fork with 100mm offset, to suit a 63 degree HA. It's more capable on proper trails than a rigid bike has any right to be :grin:
Designed around a 29+ setup, with 150mm spacing giving room for a fat front if required.

I do like a truss fork.
That's bloody awesum, frame and fork :-bd
I bet it rides like sh!t flicked from a stick.
marcinski

Post by marcinski »

Not a Jones, granted, but I put a Stooge Speedball truss fork on a Ritchey Commando frame.
If the head tube length is right, the A-C matches, then why not?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_0Y7-KFb_X/

Marcin
Joe

Post by Joe »

I think the Genesis Vagabond stock fork is not far off the Jones Truss (29er/swb) so maybe could be swapped. I think the main issue would be the headtube length, would make a cool monstercrosser though.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Except looking like funky scaffolding, what does a truss fork achieve that any other rigid fork doesn’t (if made to the same dimensions)?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Yes the are amazing to ride so precise it was the best bit of my jones I loved it
jameso

Post by jameso »

htrider wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:54 pm
jameso wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:33 pm Is a curved fork blade raked or offset? :???:
dunt matter how you get the offset - curved fork, straight legs set at an angle, leading axle, offset yokes (or crown).
Just had the front end apart of my elderly motorcycle and interestingly as well as the offset in the holes in the yokes, the legs themselves are at an angle to the headstock for more offset.
Sure, was a daft comment on how I see the term 'raked' as meaning angled, so a curve blade is more offset than raked. Non-sense. Offsetting from the steering axis is all that matters hence why to me rake is the wrong term when talking about forks. Stuart and I can agree that we can call HT angle 'rake' if we like : )
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:42 am Except looking like funky scaffolding, what does a truss fork achieve that any other rigid fork doesn’t (if made to the same dimensions)?
They are a fair bit lighter than a unicrown fork and as Jameso notes give very precise steering with no flexing under braking. Allegedly they have a small amount of vertical compliance but I've never noticed it. Handy to strap a bar roll onto as well.
jameso

Post by jameso »

htrider wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:18 pm
lune ranger wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:42 am Except looking like funky scaffolding, what does a truss fork achieve that any other rigid fork doesn’t (if made to the same dimensions)?
They are a fair bit lighter than a unicrown fork and as Jameso notes give very precise steering with no flexing under braking. Allegedly they have a small amount of vertical compliance but I've never noticed it. Handy to strap a bar roll onto as well.
All this ^ Trusses are simply a better-engineered solution to what's going on in a bike fork, maybe not for a light road fork with a rim brake perhaps but put a disc brake and a big wheel in the end and it makes a lot of sense.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

You can strap a turbo trainer to them easily, in case such a need were to arise.

Also, they’re really stiff and precise, so perfect on a fat bike where the compliance comes from the tyre.

Note this is the fat bike I mentioned in a previous post, with the XCAD fork