ton

Jones truss fork on another bike ?

Post by ton »

can this work? has anyone done it ?

thoughts please.
fatbikephil

Re: Jones truss fork on another bike ?

Post by fatbikephil »

Nope. They have 76mm of rake which would wreck the handling of anything but a Jones. Most forks are 45-55 rake. 76mm would reduce the trail to a point where your bars would be flapping around all over the place at low speed and feel decidedly unstable at higher speeds. They are also quite short A-C as Jeff doesn't want people to put suspension forks on their bikes.
ton

Post by ton »

thanks for the info mate. every day is a school day. :-bd
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've got two Jones bikes. The way most people fit the Truss fork is using a 10mm spacer on the bottom and a shim on top to tension the fork against the headset. The headset is basically a pair of top bearings, one on the bottom and one on top.

A quick go with a tape measure shows the centre of the axle to the top of the fork crown is 445mm. I've both rigid and carbon Niner forks, these measure up at 470mm. Measuring the head tube on a Jones, including the headset in approx 165mm. My Niner with an external headset is 140mm.

Both measurements have a 25mm difference, so I could fit a truss fork on my Niner using a few spacers to pad it out. If I put the spacers on the bottom of the Niner head tube it should lift the front of the frame sufficiently to retain the handling. I won't be trying it.

Edit: just seen the comment re rake. Another reason not to try.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

just seen the comment re rake.
It's not rake, it's off-set ... rake's something different. Sorry Phil :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

htrider wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:16 pm Nope. They have 76mm of rake which would wreck the handling of anything but a Jones. Most forks are 45-55 rake. 76mm would reduce the trail to a point where your bars would be flapping around all over the place at low speed and feel decidedly unstable at higher speeds. They are also quite short A-C as Jeff doesn't want people to put suspension forks on their bikes.
Older truss (and I think the SWB fork) has 55mm offset which isn't much past many 29er forks now. A-C would fit some bikes, just not anything designed for a suspension fork longer than a 26" 100mm travel fork. A 445-450mm rigid was slightly shorter than common but still good swap-in for a 26" 80-100mm sus fork.

A Genesis Fortitude could match ; ) Too small for a big guy in the 21" maybe. That was rigid-specific and designed for a 440-445mm fork though it was a 40mm offset on the fork specced - way ahead of that low offset trend eh*

*Nope, just back to 1990s fork offsets
substandard

Post by substandard »

A mate of mine has fitted a truss fork to his stooge enduro machine, he’s a bit of a slayer and regularly podiums on it with a fully rigid setup!

Not sure what brand the truss fork is though, setup looks slack on his frame and he rides it at warp speed
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Coastkid managed to fit a truss fork on a Moonlander

http://coastkid.blogspot.com/2013/04/su ... t-and.html
psling

Post by psling »

substandard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:37 pm A mate of mine has fitted a truss fork to his stooge enduro machine, he’s a bit of a slayer and regularly podiums on it with a fully rigid setup!

Not sure what brand the truss fork is though, setup looks slack on his frame and he rides it at warp speed
Possibly a Stooge truss fork, they made one on, I think it was, their Speedball
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
jay91

Post by jay91 »

substandard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:37 pm A mate of mine has fitted a truss fork to his stooge enduro machine, he’s a bit of a slayer and regularly podiums on it with a fully rigid setup!

I seen that on the gram(insta) the other day :lol: :oops:
Trying to ride bikes.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:00 pm
just seen the comment re rake.
It's not rake, it's off-set ... rake's something different. Sorry Phil :wink:
It's not, its the same :mrgreen:
I think the terms use changed in the '70s:-
The chap on the left just added longer forks, the one on the right 'raked out' his head stock so his longer forks didn't jack the front end up. I've heard the term rake used as offset or head angle.....

I'd forgotten that the old truss forks had a more normal 55mm offset, and I did see Bruce Mathieson's Monnie with Jones forks. He said they worked well but sold them due to lack of mud clearance. Moonies had a short A-C though
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've heard the term rake used as offset or head angle.....
So have I, hence my comment :wink: Seems to be something which is prevalent within cycling for some weird reason?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:56 am
I've heard the term rake used as offset or head angle.....
So have I, hence my comment :wink: Seems to be something which is prevalent within cycling for some weird reason?
There is only (or should only be) Offset, HT Angle and Trail :grin:

Is a curved fork blade raked or offset? :???:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Shouldn't that be HT angle, offset and axle-ground distance?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There is only (or should only be) Offset, HT Angle and Trail
Offset, rake and trail :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

jameso wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:33 pm Is a curved fork blade raked or offset? :???:
dunt matter how you get the offset - curved fork, straight legs set at an angle, leading axle, offset yokes (or crown).
Just had the front end apart of my elderly motorcycle and interestingly as well as the offset in the holes in the yokes, the legs themselves are at an angle to the headstock for more offset.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

dunt matter how you get the offset - curved fork, straight legs set at an angle, leading axle, offset yokes (or crown).
Just had the front end apart of my elderly motorcycle and interestingly as well as the offset in the holes in the yokes, the legs themselves are at an angle to the headstock for more offset.
I was looking at a set of Tolle forks, interestingly (for some) the steering stem is fitted into the bottom yoke at an angle rather than the usual 90 degrees*. Which allows the rake of the fork to be different to the rake of the frame ... see, interesting.

*Yes, I'm aware that 90 degrees is also an angle but it made sense when I wrote it. :wink:
Bedmaker

Post by Bedmaker »

I don't have much to add to the OP along with what's been said above.

Just came here to add a gratuitous pic of my custom truss fork with 100mm offset, to suit a 63 degree HA. It's more capable on proper trails than a rigid bike has any right to be :grin:
Designed around a 29+ setup, with 150mm spacing giving room for a fat front if required.

I do like a truss fork.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’ve got a XCAD truss on my fat bike. The frame is based on a Stooge, and the fork a 150mm bolt through design. The original owner had a Ti shim made to space out the bottom of the steerer to allow a lower headset race to be used instead of two uppers. Stiff, rides well too.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh I do like that Colin.

Someone I know rides this :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Two nice machines there, not seen that Van Nic thing before. Hmmm maybe I do want a Ti frame......
Not convinced about the saddle on the moto though :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not convinced about the saddle on the moto though
Neither is he anymore Phil - takes a cushion out with him now :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

That Ti fork on the Van Nic Revelstoke is €1300, or the same as a Lauf with change for 100 blindfolds
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Having cracked a truss fork at a weld, removing half of the legs doesn’t fill me with much confidence.