A 'gravel bike' for mountain bikers.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

A 'gravel bike' for mountain bikers.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As a mountain biker, I've always struggled with the idea that 'gravel' bikes as something that greater opportunity. In my experience, most gravel bikes actually hinder where and what I might choose to ride. Yes, I would feel differently had I approached things from a road background but I haven't so I don't :wink:

Anyway, I see Andy from Stooge is planning another bike called the Rambler. Is it a gravel bike or is it a mountain bike with drops? I don't know but I do like both it and his thinking.

http://stoogecycles.co.uk/2021/01/25/it ... LzZ3inQjhU

May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Re: A 'gravel bike' for mountain bikers.

Post by ScotRoutes »

Call me superficial, but I'd reject that on aesthetic grounds alone. For instance that steerer tube just says "we didn't make the headtube long enough".

In fact, I think I might need to deploy the vomiting gnome.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Interesting :ugeek:

Haven't had chance to read the blurb but in many ways it looks pretty similar to a Singular Gryphon, mebe?

I'm no fan of that front end arrangement and agree it does look rather like something that should have been sorted by modifying the frame rather than a humungous steerer and on top a high rise stem*. However, no way does this deserve the gnome-of-rainbow-vomit :wink:

* I don't design bikes. My chair is not an "arm" but is close, lots of people seem to like what Mr Stooge does etc etc :cool:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I do see how that stem wouldn't be everyone's cuppa but I don't think you can read too much into it. It's not really much different to how many similar bikes are set-up but the stem does perhaps exaggerate things somewhat and draw your attention.
FLV

Post by FLV »

The contact points arent likely that far away from my drop bar mtb (some would say thats ugly too).
I think its the tall stem, rise on the bars, long head tube and low a-c make it all look a bit weird and stretched. Just what we are used to seeing with drops though I think.

I like the stem, and the saddle. Never had a leather saddle, would like to try one.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I looked at that and thought: Surly Disc Trucker.

Anyway, I can see where he's coming from. Like Colin I think the steerer tube/stem looks odd, maybe even wrong.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JackT

Post by JackT »

Looks like a take on the "country bike" concept promoted by Grant Petersen / Rivendell. Good stuff.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I think most Stooge bikes look really good and have interesting features, this is possibly my least favourite though. It's not the only 'gravel bike for mtbers' though, there are recent bikes with a similar geometry (Nordest Super Albarda, Kona Sutra UTLD?). It seems there's a tiny niche opening for this kind of bike which is not quite traditional drop bar 29er (which are/were a bit shorter and sometimes steeper), but is taking a slightly longer and slightly slacker approach to a gravel bike - but making it more of a mountain bike than a drop bar 29er (like pipedream Alice, Genesis Vagabond, Fargo..)??

Anyway, I don't quite buy the stooge line about most gravel bikes being limiting/roadie focussed, as I think that it comes from a slight mis-perception of gravel bikes and the enormous variation they represent, and also what you perceive as mountain biking. All very subjective of course and one that's been debated ad nauseum for sure...sorry to add to it! :grin:
ton

Post by ton »

Unread post by whitestone » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:20 pm

Anyway, I can see where he's coming from. Like Colin I think the steerer tube/stem looks odd, maybe even wrong.

bit harsh that Bob, my disco is far uglier than that................ :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:22 pm In fact, I think I might need to deploy the vomiting gnome.
Careful, last time I slated a Stooge I got herds of abuse ;)
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I don't really get what drop bar MTBs give you over an MTB with loops or similar bars with multiple positions. If you set them nice and high for comfort there's little aero benefit to them anyway
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

GregMay wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:29 pm
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:22 pm In fact, I think I might need to deploy the vomiting gnome.
There's probably an interesting discussion to be had on brand perception / loyalty / favouritism on BB, but we surely don't need yet another introspective topic 😅
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I thought something similar Bob.

It's good that some people like it but it's also very good that some people don't :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:36 pm
GregMay wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:29 pm
There's probably an interesting discussion to be had on brand perception / loyalty / favouritism on BB, but we surely don't need yet another introspective topic 😅

But my navel needs further exploring!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

but we surely don't need yet another introspective topic
Dunno, sometimes introspection feels like all we've got left ... and it doesn't have to be a pointless exercise.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I don't think the stem is an issue (speaking as someone who has a 4" stack of spacers under a high rise stem on his gravel bike) and the HT is already pretty long.....
Would be ideal with a set of loops
Owen

Post by Owen »

There's probably an interesting discussion to be had on brand perception / loyalty / favouritism on BB, but we surely don't need yet another introspective topic
If you slap a different brand name on it, dangle a mug off the bag, stick that picture on the Radavist website would it be getting a kicking on here for being a hipster bike for check-shirt wearing knobs.? I think it might.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you slap a different brand name on it, dangle a mug off the bag, stick that picture on the Radavist website would it be getting a kicking on here for being a hipster bike for check-shirt wearing knobs.? I think it might.
To be fair, I think it looks pretty 'hipster' already and Mr Stooge is very partial to a plaid shirt. Who's name should we stick on in order to hate it properly and fully take the p1ss? I'm interested.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

"Stooge X TNF X Gucci" should do it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

:grin:
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I think it's a decent looking bike, but what I can't get away with given it's intended use is the lack of clearance, especially on the forks. It looks like it'll be good on hard and rocky terrain, but would clag up in the mud.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I too like Stooge bikes as a rule (nearly bought a Mk 1 and a fat Stooge) but am not sure about that. It's nice to have something different I suppose but if I was going for a drop bar mountain bike it'd have to be a Smokestone Mr Harry (I have a Smokestone Henderson and it's a bloody brilliant bike). Andy D/Substandard rides a Mr Harry and has a high opinion of it I believe.
PS, having tried loop type bars, mustache bars etc I'd say that a pair of wide, flared drops make far more sense if you're going to go away from flats or conventional risers. Others will no doubt disagree but all my alt bars are now in the loft not on my bikes. YMMV as ever.
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

A tricked out Mr. Harry will be my first purchase when I win the lottery.
substandard

Post by substandard »

Big fan of the mr Harry frame, it just works for me, can ride it anywhere I would normally ride an mtb, my background is mtb, just been led astray into the world of road in the past few years

The geo is based around the shortcomings of fitting drop bars on my fatbike for gbduro in 2019. That was basically a bit long in the reach department, had challenging tube positions for maximising carrying stuff, but the slack head angle and a reasonable amount of frame flex just worked.

With less reach and a higher top tube, Harry is perfect for me! It’ll just about take a 29x3.0, has similar flex so it’s really comfy, can’t see me parting with it to be honest. It was a joy to ride it on the dales divide, that’s the only proper shakedown ride it’s had due to Covid and a young family.

The stooge looks odd but in a good way, big fan of their stuff
Last edited by substandard on Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

No idea what it is apart from ugly AF