Quite remarkable when you think about it (maybe).

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Quite remarkable when you think about it (maybe).

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For me , as a late to MTB as, i was a roadie the big game changer was suspension- a very controversial choice for on here
Aye, maybe in terms of actual 'mountain biking' (although, I feel disc brakes probably had a bigger influence) but not in terms of ITT / endurance / distance type stuff.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

chris n wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:41 pm
jameso wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:23 pm Did distance racers use dynamos 10-15 years ago?
Audaxers certainly did. State of the art back then was a Schmidt (or maybe Shimano) dynohub with either multiple halogen headlamps with a homebrew switch or one of the new breed of LED lights, like Solidlights or Supernova. IIRC, Busch and Muller had LED headlamps available too.
Yes, I wondered what ITT racers of the Great Divide Race era did that audaxers of the time weren't already doing. Seems a natural place to look for kit systems.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I feel disc brakes probably had a bigger influence
Probably for those who did MTB as they worked pretty much from the start where as supension forks took a while to get there [ reading on forums I never personally had elastometer [spell?] forks ]
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

ssnowman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:09 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:51 pm Lumicycle changed the game for me. I can still remember being blown away by the Ridgeway at night after saving up for my first set. I feel they should get more credit fir leading the charge (sic) on modern lights
I remember getting the Lumicycle Halide light. Unbelievably expensive at the time, but it enabled me to get out at night. At the time I thought it was amazing, but it would probably be pretty poor by today's standards.
Still got my Halide light Dave, I'm great at hanging onto things untill they are worthless :shock:
Remember how it was like cheating using them at 24 hr races, like ridiing in daylight.

If lighting development hadn't advanced so much would ITT and ultra endurance be less dependant on how little you can sleep like it seems to becoming.
The old git in the yellow socks
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If lighting development hadn't advanced so much would ITT and ultra endurance be less dependant on how little you can sleep like it seems to becoming.
Exactly the same thing went through my mind the other day Jack.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

numplumz wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:03 pm
ssnowman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:09 pm
Dave Barter wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:51 pm Lumicycle changed the game for me. I can still remember being blown away by the Ridgeway at night after saving up for my first set. I feel they should get more credit fir leading the charge (sic) on modern lights
I remember getting the Lumicycle Halide light. Unbelievably expensive at the time, but it enabled me to get out at night. At the time I thought it was amazing, but it would probably be pretty poor by today's standards.
Still got my Halide light Dave, I'm great at hanging onto things untill they are worthless :shock:
Remember how it was like cheating using them at 24 hr races, like ridiing in daylight.
That took me back to SITS and having the fright of my life when it suddenly became daylight as another pro rider overtook me.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That took me back to SITS and having the fright of my life when it suddenly became daylight as another pro rider overtook me.
Jenn did that to me once ... sauntered casually past chatting while I breathed out of my arse before she drifted off into bright distance to leave me in a tiny pool of light and despair. Happy days.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:39 pm Lummi halogens got me out but cree homekits and Troutie lights were the game changer for me [ and what i still use inc the batteries which seem determined not to die ]
Personally I think you can have way too much light as part of the fun is its still actually dark and almost all my night rides are local so I dont need that much.
For me , as a late to MTB as, i was a roadie the big game changer was suspension- a very controversial choice for on here :wink:
I made some led light years, ago when leasd gel bat's and halogen down mr11/16 lamp were standard.
they were not as bright as, a 20 halogen, but they lasted longer and you could see 'more detail' when your eyes adjusted, like other lights wher some colours would disappear. (high colour rendering index). In the early days they were expensive and progressively less efficient harder powered them, quite the opposite to halogens.
Remember Over Volt technology any one...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..