Living a meagre existence so you dont have to work ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Re: Living a meagre existence so you dont have to work ?

Post by ton »

But wait...you have more than one birthday....are you the Queen?
amended. :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good stuff Tony. Tomorrow isn't promised to any of us, so crack on fella. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

and you'll hopefully be able to go for a celebratory pint too :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

and you'll hopefully be able to go for a celebratory pint too :-bd
yes, they can open on 17th i think.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Top work Tony.

Let us know a date and a boozer and we can all ride out for a congratulatory pint :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good luck with the new direction :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ton wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:17 pmanyone do it ?
Me. Moving to an area with cheap housing is the first and most important step I think. If you are prepared to do that then you can make it work.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

my take on this is to invest in property buy a sub standard house in the best street,renovate it and sell it,keep doing that for 20 years and hopefully your last house is worth a million quid,then sell it and retire buy a custom built bikepacking bike and fook off exploring find some sexy female cyclist and explore each other
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

sometimes your too busy working to earn a living,you cant see the wood for the trees.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

windjammer wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:21 pm and fook off exploring find some sexy female cyclist and explore each other
Explorer each other,in a physical sense? Is that because you've got have the previous routes, still attached in a Hard-core patina. Probably a lot hard-core. And you've forgotten what each other lock like??
My image is after Very moist Glastonbury times ten! :???: :shock: :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ton

Post by ton »

gardening leave starts on monday for my last 6 or so weeks.
which is quite funny to me, as i despise gardening........... :lol:
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

gardening leave starts on monday for my last 6 or so weeks.
Why's that then? Are they worried you'll get heavily into industrial espionage, or have you been a naughty boy :wink:
You can up your training for the Dales Divide then.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

ton wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:11 am just a bit of a update.

i have given my notice at work, and finish on 14th may, 3 days before my 55th birthday.
so fingers crossed.................. :-bd :-bd
Nice one, enjoy the new adventure :-bd
The old git in the yellow socks
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

It rained all day yesterday, rather than waste the day looking out the window at the bird feeder I spent it on Rightmove. My house is sold and I was looking for retirement properties, I managed to come up with two. One is in Norfolk and we're going to see it this morning, this is the other. Can someone on here please buy it.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/108803486
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aye, I know where that is :-bd
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Love the two comfy chairs for viewing the log burner 😆
ton

Post by ton »

When we decided to take this route our main concern was obviously how much money we would need to live on.
We are living of less than half we were. And so far have not had to dip into either of our lump sums.

Slowly thinking it was the right decision.
Scud

Post by Scud »

It rained all day yesterday, rather than waste the day looking out the window at the bird feeder I spent it on Rightmove. My house is sold and I was looking for retirement properties, I managed to come up with two. One is in Norfolk and we're going to see it this morning, this is the other. Can someone on here please buy it
Whereabouts in Norfolk are you looking mate?

I am not a native but married a Norfolk girl and she wanted to move back this way, thought i'd hate not having much in the way of mountain biking, but actually i love the place now, different pace of life, amazing beaches and still some great riding, and we get some regular bivi trips in and not all of it is flat. Property prices have take a sharp climb recently, and it is used to be a place to retire to, but we have seen with more people remote working and not having to live near office, a lot of younger people coming this way too.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Scud wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:40 am
It rained all day yesterday, rather than waste the day looking out the window at the bird feeder I spent it on Rightmove. My house is sold and I was looking for retirement properties, I managed to come up with two. One is in Norfolk and we're going to see it this morning, this is the other. Can someone on here please buy it
Whereabouts in Norfolk are you looking mate?
Today we were around Downham Market. Usual story, what looks promising on paper is not good when you're there. Estate agents being economical with the truth is the biggest problem.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Pirahna wrote: Estate agents being economical with the truth is the biggest problem.
No sh1t Sherlock :smile: . Apologies to any EA's on here :wink: .

Bro In Law lives near DM. You'd have to be economical to sell round there. Nordelph always looks very cute but best take a snorkel if you're planning on living there after 2050....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scud

Post by Scud »

Today we were around Downham Market. Usual story, what looks promising on paper is not good when you're there. Estate agents being economical with the truth is the biggest problem.
Edge of the Fens there, so edge of the wild west, worth coming towards Swaffham/ Fakenham/ Dereham way, house prices similar, but nicer area and more rolling countryside, still only 20 mins into Kings Lynn. Look in the Brecklands area if you can.

Sorry, will stop hijacking Ton's thread.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Time to resurrect this thread.

The house sold, wifey and I moved out on Aug 27th. We went camping for a couple of weeks, I came over to Ireland last Saturday, she's house sitting for 3 weeks. The van conversation (VW Crafter) will be ready around the end of October. There's a few things to clear up first, my mum probably won't be around to see the new van and I need to make sure the old man is OK before we head off. Irish passport means we're not stuck with 90 days in, 90 days out of the Schengen area, so Spain/Portugal for whatever remains of the winter then wherever we fancy going for a while.

UK property has gone bonkers. Anything we looked at was going to "best and final offers", basically how much are you prepared to pay for a house. The answer is I'm not getting into that game. I have a feeling we'll end up buying in France.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Pirahna, If you find yourself along the east coast of Spain (Mediterranean side) feel free to call in. We're half way between Barcelona and Valencia, km 1,100 on the N340 which is the road that starts in Cadiz and finishes at the French border. Recent news is that a number of long distance autopistas have been de-tolled so it is now free to drive from Alicante to Girona and across from Zaragoza to Barcelona, makes a difference if you're on a budget.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Wow - big changes afoot Piranha !

I formally applied for a 12 month career break yesterday - effectively resigning but with an option to go back if I want to. Jan 28th is my last day.
Going to live off savings for a year or so whilst better half keeps working. Got some plans for next year, so will see how things go.

I really thought that after 38 years working I'd have some doubts about leaving work, but actually felt a huge relief, and now I am counting weeks not months!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I really thought that after 38 years working I'd have some doubts about leaving work, but actually felt a huge relief, and now I am counting weeks not months!
It's my brother's last day of work today Steve. He's 54 and had a bit of a wild and at times sh!tty few years and decided that he's had enough. He's fortunate in that he has an income stream renting out a couple of properties but I think his decision was largely based on the realisation that life's too short and often much shorter than we might anticipate. My concern is that as a man of limited interests, hobbies etc, he'll have nothing to occupy himself with ... obviously that doesn't effect you :wink: