GPS mount

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

GPS mount

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a Garmin bar mount ... but when fastenened to the bars it doesn't behave itself and I can't fasten it to my stem because it's too short and the wrong shape. I've knocked this up which seems to work well enough but wondered if anyone has any neater solutions ?

May the bridges you burn light your way
welshwhit

Re: GPS mount

Post by welshwhit »

Just been pondering this myself.

I went for one of these for mine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400397883227

I already had a little computer on the stem, and keep toying with the idea of shortening it so figured this would do the job.

It also fits my light next to it and gets it above the wires etc
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd looked at something like that Drew but it's just like fitting it to the bars, ie, I find the Garmin mount rotates.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Is that the Edge mount or the Dakota mount?

Edge mount is peerless in my experience, Dakota mount benefitted from a wrap of innertube. The Fargo has a nice long stem to fit it on. It was awful on the swift's flat bars (polished finish to boot!)
Chew

Post by Chew »

s8tannorm wrote:I find the Garmin mount rotates.
Old bit of old inner tube between the bars and the mount cures that issue. Bit of electrical tape over the raised catch stops the ejecting as well.
gairym

Post by gairym »

any tips on how to stop the annoying rattling as mine stays on (though I have some cord attached as back-up) and doesn't rotate (yet!) but it does make a hell of a noise!
Chew

Post by Chew »

gairym wrote:any tips on how to stop the annoying rattling as mine stays on (though I have some cord attached as back-up) and doesn't rotate (yet!) but it does make a hell of a noise!
Liberal amount of electrical tape to pack the mount out a bit so it does rattle. Over the raised catch at the bottom of the mount works for me (credit to HUX for letting me into the secret)
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

I do have electrical tape on mine, but haven't really tried it in anger yet on anything other than rough back roads!

But as the father in law is visiting this week, it may be an opportunity to escape for a few hours to give it a good test!

Whilst my girls are playing making "tracks" on the Dakota is becoming addictive!
d45yth

Post by d45yth »

S8tannorm - could you not make a low profile version of what you have already, maybe using a piece of plate instead of the tube? Then cutting some small notches in it to grip the cable ties and stop it coming off.
- The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -
Ian

Post by Ian »

Not able to contribute much to a solution, (except perhaps double-sided carpet tape between mount and bar?), but I've not yet experienced my Etrex 30 rotating (though it is a tight fit on a 90mm, 10 degree rise stem).
Does it use a different mount to the Dakota?
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I used a trimmed down Park Super Patch http://www.parktool.com/product/super-patch-kit-gp-2 inside the mount - the patch stays put and as it's a bit flexible it seemed to make a good job of stopping any vibration. Seemed to work very well in an eTrex mount.
That looks like a good solution Stu
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My standard Dakota mount seems to stay put fairly well - I've had neither the rotating nor the "self-ejecting" problem.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ive got the 62s and use the garmin mount for this cable tied to my 90mm stem...its solid never moved and as for the rattling as chew says use tape-it tightens everything up nicely.
HUX

Post by HUX »

Here is my Garmin mount sat on the top cap on a 90mm 17deg stem. It's not pretty but it has never ever moved. Just uses a couple of re-useable cable ties so its easy to take on and off.

HUX

Post by HUX »

I reckon it would fit on your stem Stu!