Sidetracked Magazine Issue 20 Cover

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Sidetracked Magazine Issue 20 Cover

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm sure there must be a few fellow Sidetracked readers on here. For those that don't know, it's a high-brow quarterly travel/"adventure" "journal" featuring articles on all sorts of expeditions and adventures, big and small, from all over the world in many disciplines, often with a philosophical/environmental angle, but always with stunning photography (highly respected snapper Martin Hartley is the photographic editor) - hope that's a succinct but accurate description.

They've just revealed the cover of their 20th issue, and it's been pretty controversial and divisive. More often a spectacular landscape from somewhere truly wild, this one is simply a head-and-shoulders-portrait of actor/singer/environmentalist/climber Jared Leto wearing some garb from the latest collaboration between The North Face and Gucci (no, that's not a joke, look it up if you don't believe me), taken by none other than Jimmy Chin.

I can't make my mind up about this. Sidetracked has always had adverts and sponsors, often in the form of sponsored articles from brands and tourism agencies; they have to balance the books. But this is so in-your-face. Apparently the accompanying article is mainly about sustainability in the outdoor clothing industry - an important topic if you ask me - and partly Chin and Leto discussing climbing ethics, something I'm sure TNF have no strong desire to influence, and Gucci didn't know existed. And this self-described "disruptive" cover will undoubtedly garner attention for it and start conversations - here I am doing exactly that. They're also sponsored by Patagonia who have regular double-page adverts, often touting their environmental ethics... but I doubt they get as much attention as this will.

And yet... somehow the crassness of it cheapens the rest of the publication. Maybe in time this will come to be seen as one of those moments that was the right thing to do, though controversial at the time (I realised I'm in danger of over-egging the pudding here in terms of the magnitude of this event. It is only one article in a magazine with a readership of probably a few thousand).

The court of the internet also seems undecided, and, predictably, polarised. I've seen comments ranging from "plumbing the depths of profit driven, status fashion" to "absolutely incredible" and "mind blown". And some quite well-known people in their own niches leaping to publicly condemn or defend.

If they wanted publicity, they've certainly achieved that.

Interested to know what anyone else thinks about this, or if no-one else cares.

I guess you'll want to see what the bloody thing looks like:

Some discussion here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CKO7bV2Mafi/
jameso

Re: Sidetracked Magazine Issue 20 Cover

Post by jameso »

Was a subscriber for a couple of years but not recently. Saw this, got me thinking.
Is a brand promoting luxury fashion worse for the environment that a brand inspiring leisure travel? Don't know.
Is a luxury fashion brand somehow counted out of outdoor activities? I don't think so.
Is the outdoor world immune from fashion? No chance. Ever been to ISPO?
Should the outdoor industry ignore Gucci? I don't think so since fashion, clothing, consumption and the environment are all linked. There aren't many Patagonias out there either.

Edit to add, happy to admit I've watched period dramas and love those regal fabric designs, had wondered how bike luggage using something like that would be. Impractical. But still.. some inspiration there. So have to admit I really like that jacket. Not for me personally, but still, I like it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:52 pm If they wanted publicity, they've certainly achieved that.
Mission accomplished. Clever publishers :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The TNF marketing bloke put the TNF x Gucci video on LinkedIn. It was predictably atrocious.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Isn't that how R.a.p.h.a started out with their collaboration with Paul Smith etc. Their designs weren't so much ' in your face' though. That brand, according to a Rouleur article IMO has a certain amount of moral ethics (except maybe supporting the chinese economy with their factories there*) and their dedication to keeping their gear going is second to none. They have that crash-ripped policy where they'll repair your gear for free. Back to the Rouleur article, Rap.ha riders would often get asked by other clubs whilst on tour (De France etc) if they could swap their heavily advertising logo'd jerseys with the Crikey, how much ones... The reponse was gemerally 'no'.

Coming back to topic... Its looks stupid IMO and I've always felt the appeal of the wuality brands in outwer wear is the subtle designs. I love my Rap*ha, RAB, etc gear. Mostly bought second hand to keep it going (the pants I'm wearing right now are the 2005ish version of Singletracks and donated me by Colin... So probably over 10 years of use at least and soon to fall apart. They're all black. If they looked like the Royal Racing stuff I'd never buy em.

I wouldn't buy any of that (Gucci) trash personally but sublte wuality designs with a lower street value, I would. The outdoor market should stay away from the extortionate 'look at me' brands IMO

*.ie. what they (the chinese) do their workers or the concentration camps, rapes, mass sterilisation of the muslim Uiguir population. The world remains largely silent on the matter
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

They could have put a photo of Toyah Wilcox on the front cover if they'd just wanted irrelevant publicity and even then I'm sure someone could have spun a story about the relevance of 62 year old pop stars living in castles. Personally, it just confirms to me that I'm very unlikely ever to buy a copy and that I'm just not their market.

Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Was at a house party in London once & a mate of mine knicked a purple velvet jacket very similar to that, we later deduced must have belonged to Leo Sayer (who was at said party)..

He may still have it if anyone is interested & is a size small?
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Did it make him feel like dancing?
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:47 am Did it make him feel like dancing?
More than i can say Colin :lol:
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
psling

Post by psling »

Sorry, why is it controversial? :???:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I just think he looks a tw@t*

*I appreciate that's not very helpful but you asked what I thought. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:40 am I just think he looks a tw@t*

My thoughts exactly.

He may be a nice guy but he likes like a tw@t.

Not that I don't mind.
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ Ha, was waiting for something like that :grin:

Perhaps Sidetracked packaging up adventure and adventurers presenting their experiences on a premium stage like this is about ego or expression of the who we think we are in the same way that fashion can be. Sidetracked is one of the adventurer's catwalks if you wish to put yourself out there rather than just go for your own experiences. Fashion brand photoshoot or surfing in Alaska trip article, different yes but about ego in a similar way? If we don't want to believe that what we do in the outdoors is partly about how we see ourselves and present to others we're kidding ourselves. Some people simply love clothes and the creativity in fashion like I love bikes and riding into a landscape.

Thing is, and possibly the bit that hurts some, will be that Gucci can raise a the topic of fashion churn, longevity, values etc and the impact that has on the environment far more effectively than a lovely article about bouldering in what used to be a glacier on top of Kilimanjaro. Sidetracked preaches to the converted while building on desire for (sorry) more unnecessary travel - Gucci could help influence people who never step outside Paris etc, or slow the rate of change n fashion to reduce consumption.

I want to read the actual article now.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

"Today's news, tomorrow's chip wrappper".

Personally, zero effect and about as much interest.

Never been a fan of staely-home-carpet designs :wink:

HYOH :cool:
Scud

Post by Scud »

This seems to be a clash between the impractical nature of high fashion and the Instagram love of "The Outdoors (TM)" where most mountains and beautiful views have been reduced to a backdrop for beautiful people to stand in front of for Likes...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This seems to be a clash between the impractical nature of high fashion and the Instagram love of "The Outdoors (TM)" where most mountains and beautiful views have been reduced to a backdrop for beautiful people to stand in front of for Likes...
:-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
cloudnine

Post by cloudnine »

Where do we get our North Face Gucci hats?
Also.. need some of that hair
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I remember when Ben Moon became the model upon which all the young wannabe climbers based their "unique" appearance. So many crusty white boys (and girls) with "dreads". Ah, yoof. I look back and titter :grin:

Never managed the look, not anywhere remotely near the climbing prowess :oops:
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

It looks like he (it is isn’t it ?)......

Trying to seduce us.... (not us, the readers of this... publication)

Or is it a rough woman.. ?

Or a drag artiste ?

Oops - better stop it before I go over the top (and keep religion out of it :-b )
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Its looks stupid IMO and I've always felt the appeal of the wuality brands in outwer wear is the subtle designs.
The outdoors has a long and proud tradition of searing retinas...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:40 am I just think he looks a tw@t*
Ll
May be that the point how ridiculous Ralph lauren/Gucci is.. The the high fashion brands wanna get on board.. Imagehttps://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/fea ... bing-12287

Remind me of a GQ phootshoot. ...
Scantily clad (female) athletes/ models but mostly clothes male models, sexism.. https://www.gq.com/story/fall-fashion-r ... shua-tree?
The brilliant repost by OutdoorReseach brand.. . Flipping the roles..on [Right]

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57f ... cles_post

Punters want brand bling. To pose on the high st. hence TNF, Berhaus overpriced mediocre stuff...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
jameso

Post by jameso »

Subtle design in outdoor gear is certainly a fashion thing

I still have an Axo jersey and shorts from this era, I thought I looked cool
Punters want brand bling.
See Ti frames, AXS gears, anodised bits etc.. My Colnago.. ?
Last edited by jameso on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'll just drop these here.

Frankly, I can't understand how no one ever hunted me down to represent their brand on a glossy magazine cover :cool:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Excellent. And rather similar to a lot of my Instagram feed. I suspect you're now back in fashion.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:52 pm Image
There can't be many occasions when such an elaborate garment would be justified in bikepacking :roll: .

But I expect there's probably one... :wink:
May you always have tail wind.