MoJo

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Re: MoJo

Post by FLV »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:02 pm I'm currently doing a 90 day "challenge" - at least 30 mins of exercise every day. That's giving me an incentive to carry on, even when the weather is a bit grim. I'm also mixing it up a bit, riding, walking, swimming, running, even some yoga. TBH I've really been enjoying the walking a lot recently.

I appreciate that my circumstances are better than many though.
Although I didn't know there was a challenge, yet another health scare drove me me to start that in late march last year.
Initially I did it by riding every day, now I've added some running to try to improve the general all round fitness, and boost the gains from shorter timescale efforts.
I missed a few last year (only about 4 or 5) due to work travel inbeween lockdowns.

Not sure why I'm telling you apart from a bit of comoradarie maybe :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FLV wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:42 am
Not sure why I'm telling you apart from a bit of comoradarie maybe :grin:
Aye, these things help. It started on STW as a 100 day thing on the run up to Xmas. Seeing what other folk were doing, getting some encouragement when you have little enthusiasm, ideas for activities, it all helped. That's why someone suggested a similar one post the New Year. I'll admit that it's sometimes been tough to force myself out, but I can't say I've ever regretted having done so. I am, for my sins, actually considering a turbo and possibly Zwift. I guess I should consider that a Future Plan*

*is that a tautology?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Mrs Landslide's crossfit gym suggested doing 50 reps a day of a technique that they (the gym members) aren't so good at. Somehow, this has resulted in me taking up burpees. :roll:
Apparently the idea is that this lasts throughout lockdown.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Landslide wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:34 am Apparently the idea is that this lasts throughout lockdown.
You'll be pretty fit after 3 years of burpees :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Ha!

And also:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Burpees are evil especially if you've got a child 'helping'
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You'll be pretty fit after 3 years of burpees
I was going to say 'f*cked'.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Jeepers, I'd get bored as hell doing the same exercise so often and for such a longtime. Each to their own but I need a bit more variety.

Also, doing something everyday, if it's the tool that works for you then also great but, I always understood it was better to have some "rest days" to get the most out of a regular exercise. I'm not stating anything, just wondering* :cool:

* or maybe just making excuses for myself :wink:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Not that samey, but a bit.

Road ride, trail ride, trail ride on a road bike, proper mtb ride, SS ride, road run, trail run, hill runs, hikes,
Lockdown limits the area, that's what I am struggling with currently, lack of the ability to go somewhere else.

I have avoided the turbo so far, but I have one in case it gets really bad....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:03 am
Also, doing something everyday, if it's the tool that works for you then also great but, I always understood it was better to have some "rest days" to get the most out of a regular exercise.
Yeah, my thing at least lets me mix up exercises, and includes yoga which is more restorative.

We have proper, full-on, snow again today and more forecast for the next 24 hours. Might dig out and dust off the dumb turbo.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Fair play I was probably conflating your and Dave's stuff with 50 days of burpees as the variety you both describes probably equates in some way to "rest". I'm no sports scientist :grin: I still like total downtime so am happy if there's 5 sessions in a week :cool:

Yoga is v.good. I haven't done much for a while. Out instructor was anything but
.. restorative..
, she loved throwing in full-on core work and did a lot of HIIT and hot yoga too. Did find that sometimes I came away from it (regular yoga sessions) and felt there was a bit too much pent up energy left. Hard to describe, just an odd feeling that all the flow (and plenty of exertion) still lacked a bit of *explosive* movement or somesuch. If you get the opportunity to try some yin yoga (AFAIK the style is characterised by holding and "sinking into" postures for much longer than more flowy styles e.g. Hatha) it was one of the best feelings completing a really good session.

Hark at me :roll:

Quite liking Greg Brookes at the mo for plans and programmes (https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/blog/). On the surface it's very kettlebell orientated but his bodyweight stuff is good too and there's a load of coaching and information that can be trawled out of all his posts. Feels a bit more human than the stuff that's advertised with blokes out of a Marvel movie :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Here's your next stage Eric: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyuRRWC ... onnaJinton

Brr.

Stu please ignore the fire at 1:38. Although I do think it's the least she deserves in the circumstances!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bloody hell Reg, don't let Toyah see that. She'd have someone's eye out.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Is it Friday already? How time flies. :grin:

I've got my mojo - or something - back now anyway :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:04 pm Bloody hell Reg, don't let Toyah see that. She'd have someone's eye out.
:lol: