Maxxis Chronicle

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Swede

Maxxis Chronicle

Post by Swede »

Does anyone know where I could get a 29x3 in the UK? Most places seem to be out of stock and ordering from Europe is really expensive :roll:
fatbikephil

Re: Maxxis Chronicle

Post by fatbikephil »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19015
Short answer - no.....
Most annoying as it looks like they still make them but don't sell in the UK :roll:
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

3 in stock here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAXXIS-Chron ... SwhI1a0Gjv

My bad. They are in Poland
Swede

Post by Swede »

htrider wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:17 pm viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19015
Short answer - no.....
Most annoying as it looks like they still make them but don't sell in the UK :roll:
That's what I think too. 27.5x3 is easy to find but not 29. I'm guessing their hardwearing properties and weird size meant that they didn't sell that many?
woodsmith wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:30 pm 3 in stock here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAXXIS-Chron ... SwhI1a0Gjv

My bad. They are in Poland
I saw this but they want £25 for postage which pushes the final cost >£80...

I was hoping someone knew of a secret stash!
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

There another one here, also Poland but both the tyre and the postage is cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opona-MAXXIS ... x#shpCntId
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bonty XR2's are a fine substitute and lighter to boot.
It is annoying that 29+ seems to be popular in the States and Europe but never seemed to take off over here. My conspiracy theory being that the UK bike industry wants to sell people full suspension bikes, not rigids....
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

htrider wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:26 am Bonty XR2's are a fine substitute and lighter to boot.
It is annoying that 29+ seems to be popular in the States and Europe but never seemed to take off over here. My conspiracy theory being that the UK bike industry wants to sell people full suspension bikes, not rigids....
How are the XR2's for durability? I can get 5000 to 6000 miles out of a set of Chronicles
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My theory is the EU and he US are more gullible and easily forced into buying 29 + stuff :wink:
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:59 am My theory is the EU and he US are more gullible and easily forced into buying 29 + stuff :wink:
Thanks for your generosity with this helpful comment. Without this kind of insight how could we ever have reached the bright
sunlit uplands that every day brexit is proving to be.
Swede

Post by Swede »

woodsmith wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 am There another one here, also Poland but both the tyre and the postage is cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opona-MAXXIS ... x#shpCntId
Well spotted!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

woodsmith wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:35 am
htrider wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:26 am Bonty XR2's are a fine substitute and lighter to boot.
How are the XR2's for durability? I can get 5000 to 6000 miles out of a set of Chronicles
Definitely not as good as the compound feels softer and the knobs are wee-er; but well within acceptable limits - 4k or so? Sidewalls a bit thinner but allegedly have some fancy stuff in them to make them stronger. I've ridden them over some seriously rocky terrain without issue. I've also tried WTB rangers and they do wear out quickly - 2-3k and the back one was done. XR2's aka chupacabras are probably my go to + tyre but the chronicles had a nice bombproof feel that I liked on the Krampus which tends to get more abuse than the Jones.
Swede

Post by Swede »

I think I've done about 5K but in June I switched them around as the back was showing a bit more wear than the front. Promptly stacked it on some loose gravel as the front tyre washed out from under me :roll:. Gravel rash on my leg, hip, shoulder & head :-bd Ouch!

I've just built a dynamo equipped front wheel and wanted to keep the same tyres all round.