nice light tents for a giant?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

nice light tents for a giant?

Post by ton »

is there such a thing ?

i had alpkit ordos thing. was ok, but a pain to get in when you are proper big.
got a tipi thing now, single pole in middle. but it is too big to pack light with.

so needs to be, light, roomy, easy upable, single pole, minimal pegs.

ideas please
Bearbonesnorm

Re: nice light tents for a giant?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Does it have to be a 'tent' Tony? As in, does it need a proper inner? You can get a decent sized pyramid that'll pack small and be light enough but the inners tend to add weight.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

my tipi without the inner is huge. that would work, but i do like being inside rather than just under.

i had a macpac microlight a lot of years ago. something similar would be vaguely exciting.
Rasta

Post by Rasta »

SMD Lunar Solo is quite long if you use the end tie outs with poles. I just find sticks each night or use the handlebars for the head end. Maybe up to 6'4".
Hilleberg Akto. But sitting headroom is poor.

I have both and I'm tall.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Lightheart Gear 'so long' is designed for folk up to 6'8" Tony. https://lightheartgear.com/products/lightheart-solong-6

May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

that looks interesting Stuart. it also looks bulky when he is rolling it up.
FLV

Post by FLV »

ton wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:43 pm i had a macpac microlight a lot of years ago. something similar would be vaguely exciting.
Still got one of them, packs quite big. You can borrow it if you want to remind yourself whether its what you want.

I used it predominantly as my motorcycle camping tent, but ive sold my motorbike for now

I guess a pole that goes length ways is best, are tarptent rainbow/double rainbow long enough at 224 inner length?
ton

Post by ton »

thanks for the offer of borrowing the tents. i shall be in touch if i decide to give em a try.

cheers.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

How giant like are you Ton? I'm 6'3 and struggle in most tents. Particularly those that are slopey sided, my feet will touch the sides on a nice comfy mat

- Flat tarp. I find 1 man tarps are usually slightly too short to be comfortable under. I prefer a 2 man generally.
- Trailstar and the like are huge, but a bit of a squeeze to get in
- Pyramid shelters are also huge, and easier to get in, but need a longer pole to pitch them. I have an early MLD version of a supermid but have never used it bikepacking, only walking. Use two walking poles lashed together as my shelter pole. I've had three people in there playing cards, and has been used with plenty of space for 2 plus dog. But that's without an inner
- Generally if I want an inner I go with a normal tent. One and two man tents often are a bit of a problem for me to fit in. And something that seems fine in the showroom is sometimes less so when pitched for real. So far my two smaller tents that work for this are a Scarp 1 and a Wild Country Zephyros 2XL. Former is smaller than the latter, but lighter and better overall.

My main problem is that I keep switching shelters around each trip, if I used the same one for each trip I'd probably get quicker at putting them up. I also like the versatility of having a bivi bag for kipping in other shelters. Tent tends to get taken when I'm definitely camping 'out', if I might be using another shelter (porch, cave etc) then I'll take a bivi and tarp/shelter
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Another MLD user here - I've got the Solomid XL.

How about a Duomid or Duomid XL? Loads of space, single-pole, minimal pegs (more pegs increase bomb proofing), use with a polychro groundsheet for minimal weight/pack-size, or add an inner net for midge proofing.

Review here: https://www.tgomagazine.co.uk/review/re ... duomid-xl/

Occasionally for sale second-hand on trek-lite.com.