winter gloves.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

winter gloves.

Post by ton »

i need some new winter gloves .but am lost in choice.

i have some marmot guide gloves, with leather palm and insulated fingers/back. had em over 10 years possibly. so gonna treat myself to something new.
so i need something warm. that is my main criteria. then waterproof or at least weatherproof.
thought about some kind of mitten, as i have a twist grip on my bike so dont need seperate fingers for shifters.
thought about some pogies, but they are like rocking horse at present.

on a side note, i have been giving winter gloves away when people buy from me. as a gift. these are very nice and warm, but not very weatherproof. i suppose i could use em with a nitrile liner.

any ideas greatly appreciated.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: winter gloves.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Lobster Claw things on PX aren't bad Tony, although the real answer is pogies :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Re: mittens.
I've got some of these to press into emergency use if the weather turns wet. They're OK on the whole, but having to extend the whole hand to some extent to use the brakes (on flat bar levers) led to a degree of discomfort/fatigue.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/adult-mou ... R-p-158553
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I used my Hot Pogs yesterday and as usual I had toasty (if damp) hands in summer gloves. I only use them when it's either wet and cold or very cold, if it's just dry and not too bad I usually wear 100% Briskers on my mountain bike and find them fine down to 1° or 2°c. I know other people don't rate them but they're my go to for cool and dry. I got a pair of Galibier Ardennes gloves after a recommendation on here and they're slightly warmer but more bulky on the palm which I hate so I've not used them much. For cold and wet on drop bars I have a pair of Altura Nightvision V gloves which are over a year old now and are still mostly keeping the rain at bay. If and when I have to replace them I'll look at the Galibier full winter gloves I think (although they were out of stock last time I looked).
psling

Post by psling »

If you'd be happy with mitts then Buffalo are hard to beat. Plus they do a decent 'xx-large' size which, if you've got shovels like me, is a plus :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

First answer: pogies

Second answer: ignore bike gloves have a look at mountaineering gloves. I was out today in -4C and below and was fine with a pair of Black Diamond gloves.

Third and correct answer: sort out your core and arm insulation. You need more on your arms than your core. Doing this lets you control your overall temperature whilst still keeping your arms and hands warm. If you put multiple layers on both core and arms then you risk overheating, meaning sweat, meaning you'll chill, all without necessarily keeping your hands warm. I had a single thermal layer (long sleeved thermal top) with merino arm warmers then a lightly insulated top over these. Also a couple of buffs. Get to the base of a hill (or similar effort) and it's buffs into pockets and top unzipped, once at the top of the climb then zip up and back on with the buffs. If it's windy then a buff over the face.

So cold hands is really the result of poor/incorrect insulation, just sticking big thick gloves on isn't going to solve the underlying problem which is that your body isn't warm so it reduces blood flow to the extremities. You have to balance the local temperature and environment; your work rate; your insulation so that everything is warm but not overhot.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If pogies aren't your thing then mitts do work very well. I've got a pair of sealskinz ones which I've used for skiing in -20 with warm hands. I've used the various sealskinz winter cycling gloves and been underwhelmed. If you need to use your fingers (e.g. for signaling to other road users) then ski gloves are good. I've used my goretex hestras a few times and maintained warm hands down to -10. Even the tresspass specials are pretty good as ski gloves are nice and long so you don't get drafts up your sleeves.
Al

Post by Al »

Have a look at mountaineering stuff too - my warmest gloves are some black diamond ones with a super thick pile lining.
If it’s waterproof your after the showers pass outdry are the best I’ve had.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I got a pair of Salewa branded mountaineering/rope handling gloves from Decathlon for not that much money. I bought them for snowboarding (which tends to be hard on gloves) and they've been very good so far and kept the water/wet snow at bay during some rainy days in the Alps last year. They might make decent winter cycling gloves if you don't mind the bulkiness (which I personally hate for mountain biking).
Last edited by Jurassic on Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Galibier Barriers are very good, especially given how little they cost. I've also got some of those overmitts from Decathlon as linked above, not had a chance to try them yet.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Just seen that Polaris have a few types of gloves reduced ATM including some lobster mitts. I've no idea what they're like but I have quite a few other bits of Polaris clothing that I like.