Gatewood cape question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Gpl23

Gatewood cape question

Post by Gpl23 »

Treated myself to Gatewood cape with some extra money i was given. Can't wait to try it out. There was an unattached toggle/clip with it (see picture). Where does it go ?. Also any tips for a first time Gatewood cape user ?. Pole height ?, Pegs ? Seam sealent ?
Thanks.😀
Attachments
20210114_103231.jpg
Toggle thingy
(58.72 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Gatewood cape question

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That should be tied to the main guy line with a prusik knot as it's used to pull the front down - there's little loops on the doors for it to clip to.

Pole height - 114cm / 115cm but you can go a little higher if you like.

Pegs - whatever you like but don't skimp on the front peg as the shelters integrity hinges on it staying put.

Seam seal - never bothered and never leaked.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Gpl23

Post by Gpl23 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:49 am That should be tied to the main guy line with a prusik knot as it's used to pull the front down - there's little loops on the doors for it to clip to.

Pegs - whatever you like but don't skimp on the front peg as the shelters integrity hinges on it staying put.

Seam seal - never bothered and never leaked.
Cheers. Its attached now and thanks for the info.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:49 am
Stu is being a little shy but poles are available from bearbones shop https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/shop ... lter-sleep if you weren't already aware :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I think most of use his poles and they are both lighweight,customisable and excellent in use
Gpl23

Post by Gpl23 »

I already had a set of carbon poles i had used for my lanshan 2 so i just cut one of those down to 115cms. Are the Barebones pegs good for the cape? .
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are the Barebones pegs good for the cape? .
They're certainly light but I couldn't say that they're better than anything else. Peg choice is often dictated by ground conditions, so there's probably no ideal peg really.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Gpl23 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:22 pm I already had a set of carbon poles i had used for my lanshan 2 so i just cut one of those down to 115cms. Are the Barebones pegs good for the cape? .
Yes, except for the front guy line, worth having something more substantial for that as it's under a lot of tension. We use an MST groundhog ripoff.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Gpl23 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:22 pm I already had a set of carbon poles i had used for my lanshan 2 so i just cut one of those down to 115cms. Are the Barebones pegs good for the cape? .
You should try it first of course as I don't think you will have to cut it down. I'm pretty sure my pole is 120cm which I use on the Gatewood - that's the same size as the Lanshan requires.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Worth a squint at this thread if you're joining the Gatewood Club :smile: . Bits of info about bugnets and other mods.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=18114&hilit=biner#p231367
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I'm using Stu's pole & pegs with my Gatewood Cape and both are fine.

It makes for a really lightweight setup.
I made a custom mat using polycryo and that's good too.

It's only a setup I'd use in the nicer months mind but that's just personal choice.