Lightweight Hot Tent Stoves.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Lightweight Hot Tent Stoves.

Post by Richpips »

We've got a bell tent and an Outbacker Firebox Stove neither of which you'd want to carry far.

Has anyone any experience with any of the more portable (Titanium) ones on the market?

I don't want to spend a fortune so maybe DIY?

Rich
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Lightweight Hot Tent Stoves.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I noticed a few on Aliexpress that looked okay Rich. Even in Ti, I'd not call them lightweight but they packed fairly well and appeared well made.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve seen a few in action, one of which was titanium. Think it was the Winnerwell Fastfold. It collapses into a fairly flat package of maybe 2or3kg. Taken in consideration of all the other gear involved in hot tenting it’s nicely portable. The axe and saw needed to prep wood weigh more in most cases. In use even though it was light it still managed to heat a lavvu type tent well - the whole thing glows like the sun in a dark tent. The limiting factor is (as in all cases) how hot the chimney gets and how the chimney interfaces with the tent.
My personal favourite for packing is the Savotta Hawu. It’s steel and doesn’t fold flat. Maybe 3-4kg but really well thought out and made with some nice design touches. Sits fairly well on top of a large rucksack and you can still ski or snowshoe well enough.
What sort of tent is it for?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

It's for a Luxe Hex Peak.

I saw some fella doing temp checks with a smallish stove and with a large flue jack the tent material stayed under 30 degrees C.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Most manufacturers would recommend a polycotton or canvas tent for use with a stove.
I’d definitely recommend a flue thermometer to keep things in check, especially if you use a silicone flashing - they do deteriorate pretty quickly when they are strongly heated.
Positioning the flue so it exits the tent higher up can help keep things cooler.
My bell tent has a silicone flashing and it provides an excellent weather seal but requires replacement fairly regularly.
On trips to Finland I’ve used flues with an additional metal sleeve(like on a Robens stove). Whilst not as waterproof it seams to be a better long term solution.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Just looked at the Hex Peak tent. It’s a lot smaller than anything I’ve used with a stove but looks doable. You could retrofit a canvas panel to accommodate a stove jack and sleep ?two people in a v formation well enough. You’ll be pretty close to the stove when you’re sleeping and not too much internal volume so it’d heat up well.
Some thought should be paid about how to seat your stove and protect the floor if you have one.

EDIT: Is it an XL or standard size? You’d maybe not manage 2 people plus stove safety in the standard size. I’m assuming it’s the two of you.
Don’t tell anyone but an open fire (in the right circumstances :???:) can exert a good deal of heating on an open fronted shelter like a Finnish loue
WSC
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Saw a video some years ago by an Canadian hot tent enthusiast who referred to collapsible stoves as "Gopher Stoves" According to him because you struggle to get them to seal properly when assembled and hot the damping is not very effective so they burn really hot and fast and you are constantly having to gopher more wood.
The only other thing I remember was an in-depth discussion on spark arresters to go on the flue, especially if the tent wasn't canvas.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

AndreR wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:32 am Saw a video some years ago by an Canadian hot tent enthusiast who referred to collapsible stoves as "Gopher Stoves" According to him because you struggle to get them to seal properly when assembled and hot the damping is not very effective so they burn really hot and fast and you are constantly having to gopher more wood.
The only other thing I remember was an in-depth discussion on spark arresters to go on the flue, especially if the tent wasn't canvas.
That’s one reason I like the Savotta so much. The main body of the stove doesn’t collapse so the seal isn’t compromised - it’s very fuel efficient, maybe as much so as a home stove.
I’d want a long flue on a non canvas tent and be sure of the wind direction. Most tent stoves, certainly any worth buying should feature a spark arrester in the stove.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's a few similar sized shelters from China where they'll fit a silicone flu jack as standard or sell you one to retro-fit.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Not sure if any of the previously mentioned links refer to this trip - https://bikepacking.com/plog/james-bay-descent-video/. They used a hot tent with an XL titanium wood stove, not sure if that's a make or just the size.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry