Not Local
6%

Total votes: 33
RIP

"local"? Ask Boris :-)

Post by RIP »

Local or not local? :smile:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55620138

"Boris Johnson has been criticised for travelling seven miles from Downing Street to go cycling during lockdown"

They don't say whether he biked 7 miles to get there or was taken 7 miles then started cycling.....

"A No 10 spokesman would not confirm if Mr Johnson had been driven to the park or cycled there, but said the PM had complied with Covid-19 guidelines."

Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: "It is OK, if you went for a long walk and ended up seven miles from home, that is OK, but you should stay local".

"Government advice for England says you can leave your home to exercise, but adds: "This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.", "The guidance adds: "Stay local means stay in the village, town, or part of the city where you live."

But...

"In Scotland, the advice is more precise, saying exercise can be taken if it "starts and finishes at the same place, which can be up to five miles from the boundary of your local authority area". (interesting).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearlegged

Re: "local"? Ask Boris :-)

Post by Bearlegged »

Is the question, "How close do you want Boris to be?"
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

That this is even a discussion shows how little "exercise" the average UK punter takes. Seven miles is being put forward as some sort of mega journey when most of could run that in less than an hour.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Interesting that there was no mention of how well he was able to see where he was going.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Or whether he stopped for a wee....

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

That this is even a discussion shows how little "exercise" the average UK punter takes.
This and the fact he is a complete [ insert strongest swear word allowed ]
Verena

Post by Verena »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:27 pm That this is even a discussion shows how little "exercise" the average UK punter takes. Seven miles is being put forward as some sort of mega journey when most of could run that in less than an hour.
That's what I thought, a bike ride 7 miles from home, why is this even an issue??
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

If Boris is on Strava then it can all be resolved quickly.

If he is not on Strava, then it didn't happen anyway ...

Also, I assume he only had one bodyguard with him otherwise that's another 'rule' in tatters ....
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Technically those protecting him were at work so exempt.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

(a) 7 miles would get me half way to the nearest shops.

(b) I consider people who live 7 miles away to be my neighbours.

(c) I don't really care.
May the bridges you burn light your way
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:27 pm That this is even a discussion shows how little "exercise" the average UK punter takes. Seven miles is being put forward as some sort of mega journey when most of could run that in less than an hour.
I agree, though I imagine it seems different to your average Londonder - not necessarily because they take less exercise, but just because a journey of 7 miles across a city, particularly one like London, will seem so much further because of everything in between.

Still think it's overblown. As much as I detest the ****, it's just an attempt to catch him out.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

thenorthwind wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:59 am ......

Still think it's overblown. As much as I detest the ****, it's just an attempt to catch him out.
Indeed. The chump's hardly making a good job of so many important things so for bits of the media to bother with something like this seems silly.
Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I'm more frustrated about where his D lock is.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

GregMay wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:23 am I'm more frustrated about where his D lock is.
I know where I'd put it.
Scud

Post by Scud »

My biggest regret was riding with Boris up one of the Surrey Hills on the first Ride London......and not pushing him in a ditch, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

If anyone can remember the Liverpool scandal when he dissed the area as having a victim culture and then had to massively backpedal and apologise. Well I was running the RUSS Appeal Air Ambulance charity at the time and we were donated a Liverpool shirt to auction. I sent it to Boris and asked him to sign it which he did. We put it on ebay to raise funds but the scousers had the last laugh and kept trolling it to multimillion pound bids so we had to withdraw it. In the end the lad who donated it bought it back for £30. So somewhere out there is a Liverpool FC shirt with Boris's moniker on in.

<cool story bro>
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

^ :smile: . We could send him a WRT T-shirt and raffle that.

Cynical Reg viewed the current story as yet another fashionable dig at cycling in general rather than a dig at Boris. Getting very bored with the "backlash" against "neighbourhood streets", LTN1/20, Boris's "Gear Change" policy etc etc.

Wonder if this is the Borisgate equivalent of Cummingsgate :wink: . On balance I'm with Stu on it.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

well today the govt is attempting to clarify what local means and we get this gem
What we are asking people to do is when they exercise to stay local. Now, local is, obviously, open to interpretation, but people broadly know what local means. If you can get there under your own steam and you are not interacting with somebody ... then that seems perfectly reasonable to me,
Kit Malthouse Police minister
he also said a 70 mile ride would be reasonable
However a copper objected because
But his argument has been undermined by Kerrin Wilson, Assistant Chief Constable of Lincolnshire Police, who said of one local rider going 50 to 60 miles: 'What you have to understand is if he falls off his bike and is so far away from home , how is he going to get help if he gets a puncture.
People i think we have a fair way to go in educating the public about cycling, and the fact women also cycle , if they think a puncture is a ride ending event

or
“For me, a reasonable interpretation of that is that, if you can – and I appreciate some people can’t – go for your exercise from your front door and come back to your front door.”
Cresida Dick met Police chief

So another day lots more information and still no clarity
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:23 pm well today the govt is attempting to clarify what local means and we get this gem
What we are asking people to do is when they exercise to stay local. Now, local is, obviously, open to interpretation, but people broadly know what local means. If you can get there under your own steam and you are not interacting with somebody ... then that seems perfectly reasonable to me,
Kit Malthouse Police minister
he also said a 70 mile ride would be reasonable
However a copper objected because
But his argument has been undermined by Kerrin Wilson, Assistant Chief Constable of Lincolnshire Police, who said of one local rider going 50 to 60 miles: 'What you have to understand is if he falls off his bike and is so far away from home , how is he going to get help if he gets a puncture.
People i think we have a fair way to go in educating the public about cycling, and the fact women also cycle , if they think a puncture is a ride ending event

or
“For me, a reasonable interpretation of that is that, if you can – and I appreciate some people can’t – go for your exercise from your front door and come back to your front door.”
Cresida Dick met Police chief

So another day lots more information and still no clarity
So... that would mean I could go and do the West Yorkshire Cycles route (well... half or quarter) or the NorthPeaks100 afterall. There's no gnar in that and most people can get round under their own steam... :smile:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

It's another dead cat.

While the country argues over whether 7 miles is OK, a marathon distance, nothing special, normal in countries with decent infrastructure, etc you're distracted from the Free School Meals disgrace, etc.
slarge

Post by slarge »

But if you ask 100 people what they think is "reasonable" you'll get 100 different answers, so the answer is to do what you think is reasonable without pushing the boundaries. And then choose how many people you tell (via Strava etc etc).

And I think the Boris debacle is someone on a high horse / with a grudge.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

johnnystorm wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:14 pm It's another dead cat.

While the country argues over whether 7 miles is OK, a marathon distance, nothing special, normal in countries with decent infrastructure, etc you're distracted from the Free School Meals disgrace, etc.
Well said... Was wondering why the British Bulshit Corporation was running a story digging at the PM...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Kerrin Wilson, Assistant Chief Constable of Lincolnshire Police, who said of one local rider going 50 to 60 miles: 'What you have to understand is if he falls off his bike and is so far away from home , how is he going to get help if he gets a puncture.
Genuine WTF :lol: A puncture? Unreal.

"Define, or define not. There is no Local." to misquote yoda.

I can ride 100 miles w/o getting off my bike as can many. So all that comes into this is a very general risk of accidents that grows with time, not distance.

I'm with Reg, it's partly a useful pop at cycling and another one that fuels the 'Hey, blame each other! Not us...' from the govt and media.
you're distracted from the Free School Meals disgrace, etc.
And all the rest of the genuinely shockingly open levels of cronyism and mis-spending by the Tories - basically a channel of tax money into private firms who fund the Tories or have personal connections. It may not be so in every case but still, enough of it that it stinks.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

the answer is to do what you think is reasonable without pushing the boundaries.
No as that gives 100 answers the answer is to have some actual guidlines that are so clear we can all follow them*

Currently we do not know when a breach is a breach and it seems neither do the government or plod as that is how unclear they are

* I suspect we wont even get 5 miles if the govt decide
psling

Post by psling »

Bracelets, that's the answer. Like the ones worn in Transporter 3. As modelled here by Natalya Rudakova

:cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.