Sonder Alpha wheels

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisS

Sonder Alpha wheels

Post by ChrisS »

Looking at a Sonder Camino at the moment and thinking of upgrading to the Alpha 700 wheels as the Novas don't have the best rep. I can't find any reviews - anyone have any experience with them? Thanks :-bd
AndreR

Re: Sonder Alpha wheels

Post by AndreR »

I have a Camino that's nearly a year old and have just fitted Alpha wheels. I got knocked off in December and the front wheel was buckled and the join in the rim had come apart so claimed for new wheels. Not too many rides on them but so far so good! The rim on the Alpha is not symmetric which is supposed to make it better/cooler/more expensive? Not at all clued up on the why or benefits of this yet.

There are 2 different size end caps for the front wheel and I didn't get the set I needed in the box and there was a bit of a faff getting them sent what with everyone working at home, but sorted in the end.
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Cheers Andre, have to confess I didn't even know that asymmetric rims were a thing :???:
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

Didn't know it until I got the wheels and though Hmmm that looks a bit odd! Google says...

Asymmetrically profiled rims are different from your typical bicycle rim due to their spoke/nipple holes being offset from the center of the rim. Companies like Asian Cycle Express, Bontrager, Mcfk, Nobl, Nox, Sram, Tandell, WTB all employ this profile into at least one of their rim designs.
Asymmetric rims with offset spoke holes allow for better triangulation of spoke angles and balance of tensions in a wheel build, resulting in a stronger, stiffer (laterally due to proportionately more lateral tension), more compliant (radially due to proportionately less radial tension), and more reliable wheel.

Who knew!!
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

I’ve got a set on my drop bar mtb and I’ve smashed it down some Lakeland rocky bw’s and they’ve held up find. Checked the hubs the other day and the bearings seem to be holding up well.