Genesis Fortitude Race

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

darbeze

Genesis Fortitude Race

Post by darbeze »

OK then...

Every time I look at potential new bikes to replace my 2010 Q620 26" wheeled Felt hardtail, I keep coming back to the Fortitude. I have now managed to find a 17.5" example to test ride and I really liked it. I like the "Race" variant, which is a 1x10 Derailleur setup... Nice and simple and easy to fix if it breaks. Even better is the fact that apparently the Fortitude has not sold as well as hoped so will be discontinued at the end of this model year,so I can get 20% off the rrp.

So far, so good. The problem I have is this. There is nothing wrong with my present bike, it does everything I want and need. A new bike would be nice, but it won't go anywhere I can't already go. I can't make my mind up whether to go for it or not... I would have to make significant sacrifices to pay for the new bike too, (Which I am prepared to do, I think)!

I have become quite attached to my bike, having taken it to Iceland and New Zealand. You could say we have been through a lot together...

Is it just me, or do others struggle to make this sort of decision?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Genesis Fortitude Race

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't usually find it too hard to convince myself to get a new bike (or at least frame, can't remember the last full bike I bought) but I'd find it much harder if I had to part with another first.

I say the above but 18 months ago I had a big cull and reduced my collection by more than half. Once the first had gone the rest were easy and it even felt a little liberating ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

A difficult question which I think we all face from time to time and a one that only you can really answer in the end. It broke my heart having to sell my Corratec 69er as I had built it totally from scratch over a 2 year period buying everything on it in sales over the internet but the bike I bought I really, really wanted so it was worth it. Having a new bike is nice but the novelty of a new bike will wear off before you have finished making your "significant sacrifices" which I'm assuming are financial and something you can't just stop if your a bit skint. So what you have to ask yourself is, once the novelty of new has worn off will you still love the bike and be glad you bought it.
PS. The bike you want is a great bike in my opinion, Genesis bikes regularly get good reviews.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You're not alone. I prevaricate for ages before buying anything!

For bikes, I always try to work out what sort of riding I really want to be doing and then home in on a bike (or, more likely, frame) from there. My last purchase was the El Mariachi and I'd only really got switched on to the 29er idea as I'd been taking my "Cross" bike out on some rougher tracks and seeing how well it coped. The El Mar has now replaced my old Ti hardtail for bikepacking duties, so I guess it was one-in/one-out (though I'll be keeping the old frame as I'm quite attached to it).

The only major exception to this process that I can remember was buying my carbon road bike. I already had a Focus Cayo but I had to take a customers Cube GTC Agree out for a test spin and it just knocked my socks off - I couldn't believe the difference in comfort and just knew I'd have to have one. I guess it's just as well I never attend demo days :lol:
Lmorgan87

Post by Lmorgan87 »

I can confirm that Genesis make some outstanding bikes. I had the same dilemma as you a while back. I've ridden a genesis IO for a couple of years now and it hasn't missed a beat! Not only does it ride really well but it also comes with lots of UK design features like mudguard mounts on the downtube and tonnes of mud clearance. If your thinking of using the bike for bikepacking there's nothing to say that you couldn't use the extra mounts on the downtube for carrying fuel. Or the old roadie trick of putting your tools/ spares in a water bottle.

Its worth mentioning that I haven't ridden the fortitude itself. However I do have the 18" IO and Genesis claim that the contact points of the Fortitude are in the same place (handlebar height etc). I don't think that you would be disappointed if you decide to go with the genesis.

P.S. I've also found the stock parts which tend to be upgraded quickly like grips and saddle were all really comfy on my genesis right from the go.
Always do the right thing... Just because it's the right thing to do.
Lmorgan87

Post by Lmorgan87 »

P.S. I don't own any shares in Genesis. Although I did work in the bike trade until last year and recommended Genesis to pretty much everyone who asked me for advice.
Always do the right thing... Just because it's the right thing to do.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Thank you chaps. I appreciate your thoughts...

I got my present bike on the Cycle to Work Scheme so I am familiar with novelty wearing off before it finally being paid for. Having said that, I still love my bike. Apart from the 22 year old steel bike in the loft, it's the only bike I have.

I think I am leaning towards going for it... Had another peek at one this afternoon...

Hmm...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What colour is it ? That could sway things!
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

The Race variant colour is called Burnt Red, but to you and me, it's bright orange!

It does look very smart imo...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The Race variant colour is called Burnt Red, but to you and me, it's bright orange!
Well there you go, orange bikes are the best ones ... although the above statement doesn't really apply to me and I'd believe it was any colour I was told ;)
Backcountrybiking

Post by Backcountrybiking »

I really liked the idea of this bike. the car park test was promising..

But then I discovered there is no easy way of fitting a front mech, IMHO if it's gonna be a bikepacker it needs low gears.

But it is smart..

ANdy
http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire