Runners input please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Runners input please

Post by Mike »

As I'm abit bored of riding the bike at the moment I thought id take up running again. Ive a new pair of salamon cross3 or something along those lines but they are to narrow on the toes and have rubbed a hole in my both my feet :roll:

So runners amongst us, what trail shoes can you recommend me for off road running please. Preferably with a wider toe box than salamon
woodsmith

Re: Runners input please

Post by woodsmith »

Altra brand have a wide toe box. I've got feet like a bloody camel and have found the Altra Lone Peaks to be about the only thing that actually fits me.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Inov8. Always used to be wide though nowadays they seem to grade them, think 5 is widest.

Brooks Caldera (bit wooden planky) or Cascadia (mega comfy).

Shoes are like saddles though, very personal.

Have you sized up a bit? I run in shoes a full euro size bigger than day2day trainers.

Often good deals on Sportshoes.com

Proper runners will be along soon because I'm a pretty rubbish example :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I've tried on a few pairs of Salomon and found them narrow. I get on well with Decathlon stuff, and have some Kalenji trail shoes that fit nicely.

Other sizing points of reference; I've tried on a lot of cycling shoes and found Shimano, Northwave, Gaerne, Sidi too narrow. Specialized and Lake fit nicely.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

I’ve flittered between Salomon, Adidas and Inov8 for the last few years and have a wide forefoot and have settled on Inov8s suiting me best. I have a pair of Mudclaws for the really muddy stuff and then a pair of Terraultras for rock and forest trail and I used them for scrambles through the summer too. The terraultras are great on just about anything except really slippery mud. Mudclaws are mainly just a spare pair for when the terraultras are drying now.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Inov 8 X Talon Ultra 260.

Wider than Mud Claws which are too narrow for me. I’d prefer the 260s to have a smaller heel to toe drop but I seem happy enough in them in pretty much any off road terrain from fell to field edge paths.

I like them enough that I’m now down to 2 pairs* of running shoes rather than the collection I had previously. Fit wise they’re superb for me.

260s for all off road and some Brooks offerings for road/easy trail.

*im ignoring the studded winter trainers which are in no danger of wearing out these days
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I used to wear Inov8's and they were comfy, but they don't seem to last very long, the uppers split in under 200 miles.

My current shoes are Scott Kinabalu, it's taken me over 800 miles and over a year to wear these out. They have a reasonable width, but isn't loosing toe nails how you know you're a 'proper' runner :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I'd have said go to a shop....but yeah...not much of that.

It's so variable. Think about where you're going to run (surface wise) most and then look at threads that suit that (similar to tyres) then look at models available.

FWIW I flit between VJsport, NVii, Inov8, Hoka and Muzino depending on where I'm running. No right shoe, just the correct tool for the job you're about to do.
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

I have been very impressed with the Hoka One One Torrent 2 shoe:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/hoka-one-one-t ... nning-shoe

I had not heard of them before but the shoe is robust and offers good cushioning but not too much that I feel I am on platforms.

I have only done about 100 miles in them so far in the Dark Peak (Kinder) on gritstone rock and winter mush and they clean up looking almost new and the sole is barely worn.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Love my lone peaks
Chew

Post by Chew »

Not much use at the moment, but as Greg says its best going to a proper shop where you can try on a few and have a go on a running machine to check.

Usually size up slightly over a normal shoe to stop your toes hitting the front of the shoes.

Where abouts are they rubbing?
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

I wear Decathlon trail shoes for orienteering, I find them very comfortable.
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

Saloman do offer what they call "Generous Fit" and "Wide Fit" shoes, i've not tried them as I'm fine in the standard fit, but might be worth looking at.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

This thread made me look at my Salomans in detail.

The horror of my heel striking..I'm going to need a new set soon :sad:
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
rando nomad

Post by rando nomad »

Hi Dave

Brooks Cascadia fan here. Wider toe box than the cross shoes, decent tread. Saucany Perigrine are also wider and have a more agressive tread for wet conditions.
Supernova

Post by Supernova »

As others have said, shoes are personal, like saddles. However, I’ve taken in recent years to buying a size larger than for a normal shoe just so your feet can spread when they’re walloped down at running speed.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks all, ill be doing some searching in the next few days :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

What size are you?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:57 pm What size are you?
I was wondering that as well, I'm hoping for a cheap pair of size 10.5 Salomon's to come up in the classifieds :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

stevewaters wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:34 pm I have been very impressed with the Hoka One One Torrent 2 shoe:
On my second pair of these, first pair did just over 500km during the first lockdown - second pair on about 300km and not looking good. As the upper and lower are just glued together they tend to separate - problem with Hokas across the board really.

Not sure if I'd buy another pair, but they are really comfortable up to about 50km at a time. Even on really technical ground they cope well.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm mainly using Hoka Speedgoats, replacement for the Challenger ATRs that eventually got too soft.

I also have Salomon Speedcross. Not as comfy on hard surfaces but the increased grip occasionally makes them the better choice.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I like my Altra Lone Peaks. They have a very wide toe box that lets your foot spread out. Also zero drop so encourage a more ‘natural’ running style.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Struggled to get Hoka's to fit me until a recent re-issue-ish of the Speedgoat (II?). Very nice but still a little slender, particularly at the front / toes

Altra's very wide compared to lots of other brands but the zero drop of the sole is something I struggled with, being a bit of a heel striker in my running "style" (never have inverted commas been so appropriate!).

Always found Inov8's, whilst often a cracking fit, a bit firm for me, my knees and the loads they have to endure.

Old faithfuls for me are the Brooks Cascadia's and they are usually on sale at this time of year. Them or the Speedgoats.

Beware, running shoe styles and models re-launch more often than the MTB industry invents new standards and they can change the size / shape etc etc which makes the "same" shoe from last season "perfect" but this season's "mleh" or even worse "argh". The bonus is that frequent cycles usually mean good discounts.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Looking like some of the fell races are going to start again soon, so thinking about having a go.
(Coiners from Mytholmroyd Greg)

General potential kit requirement:
Please bring FRA mandatory minimum kit incase it is required which includes waterproof full body cover (with taped seams & integrated attached hood) + hat or buff + gloves + appropriate map + compass (not out of a Christmas cracker!) + whistle. Emergency food advised.
1. What constitutes the waterproof? (I have a Montane Minimus Smock, if well used)
2. Map I can print off the website and generally know where i'd be going, but how big?
3. How do you carry stuff?

If the weathers bad i'd give it a miss anyway
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Montane minimus would be a good choice of waterproof. map, I generally print to A4 and then fold in half and laminate to A5, unless it's a particularly long or tricky to navigate race.

Carrying would be a small bumbag generally, but a vest type of backpack is good on longer ones.