This weekends Virtual Winter Event - postponed

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

This weekends Virtual Winter Event - postponed

Post by JohnClimber »

Please note.
This weekends Virtual Winter Event is postponed.
Please see the thread for more details.
Near the bottom of this page
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18491&start=550

You have until the clock alter to ride your route, so hopefully the lockdowns will be lifted within the next 3 weeks.
ScotRoutes

Re: This weekends Virtual Winter Event - postponed

Post by ScotRoutes »

JohnClimber wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:04 pm Please note.
This weekends Virtual Winter Event is postponed.
Please see the thread for more details.
Near the bottom of this page
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18491&start=550

You have until the clock alter to ride your route, so hopefully the lockdowns will be lifted within the next 3 weeks.
Realistically? The current rules will apply until the mid-term holidays in February and then possibly into March. If everything goes swimmingly, we'll then have vaccinated the first four groups and the lockdown will have reduced the R number enough to let some regions start adopting the tiered approach again.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Fair dos but as I understand it we can go out and ride our bikes so no reason not to do it this weekend.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

htrider wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:17 pm Fair dos but as I understand it we can go out and ride our bikes so no reason not to do it this weekend.
Sadly I was already out of the event due to a mechanical but even if I had been riding , several of my GR's were well outside the boundary of what could reasonably called "local". I don't think that local has ever been officially defined but personally I'd set it at a 10 mile raius at the moment.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

htrider wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:17 pm Fair dos but as I understand it we can go out and ride our bikes so no reason not to do it this weekend.
But it says
"outdoor exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible"

Personally for me I need to ask myself is for example a 97 mile loop local loop to me might not be a local area in the guidance of the government.
"This should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area."
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Don't forget that by putting a quote of the Boris 'rules' on here may not be the same for Wales & Scotland. There are some differences.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ton

Post by ton »

the furthest checkpoint from my house is 15 mile. which i consider local.
so i will probably still ride my checkpoints.
Verena

Post by Verena »

ton wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:56 pm the furthest checkpoint from my house is 15 mile. which i consider local.
so i will probably still ride my checkpoints.
Same with mine, very local
Boab

Post by Boab »

If someone would nail down what "local" means that would be useful. I can hit three different counties within fifteen minutes of the front door...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Verena

Post by Verena »

K1100T wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:32 am If someone would nail down what "local" means that would be useful. I can hit three different counties within fifteen minutes of the front door...
Last time "local" for the purpose s of exercise was defined as ten miles, had that on some good authority, but not sure where they got that from...

Not really useful is it?

I'll get my coat....
Boab

Post by Boab »

Verena wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:59 am
K1100T wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:32 am If someone would nail down what "local" means that would be useful. I can hit three different counties within fifteen minutes of the front door...
Last time "local" for the purpose s of exercise was defined as ten miles, had that on some good authority, but not sure where they got that from...

Not really useful is it?
Nope, and that's the problem, as is the "unlimited" time aspect. If I go with a 10 mile radius, then I can pretty much fit most of my normal morning loops within it, with some slight re-routing. That'll have to do...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
psling

Post by psling »

Verena wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:59 am

The definitive answer taken from the .gov.uk/coronavirus website is given in the Travel section and includes the following with reference to Tier 4 areas which basically means everywhere in England now (Wales & Scotland would need to reference their own Official Govt. Information):

If you need to travel you should stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of your village, town or the part of a city where you live – and look to reduce the number of journeys you make overall. The list of reasons you can leave your home and area include, but are not limited to:

work, where you cannot work from home
accessing education and for caring responsibilities
visiting those in your support bubble – or your childcare bubble for childcare
visiting hospital, GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
buying goods or services from premises that are open in Tier 4 areas, including essential retail, but these should be within your local area wherever possible
outdoor recreation or exercise. This should be done locally wherever possible, but you can travel a short distance within your Tier 4 area to do so if necessary (for example, to access an open space)
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Verena

Post by Verena »

For Wales: "People are still allowed out of their homes to exercise, for unlimited times and periods each day Wales remains in level four, but must maintain social distancing, and not exercise with anyone outside their household.

Exercise should start and finish from your home, and the Welsh Government has urged people to avoid activities that involve a "significant degree of risk", such as water sports and wild swimming"
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

wild swimming
Anyone explain that bit? I'd have honestly thought that most lakes / rivers would be pretty quiet given it's Jan and I don't think it's generally considered to be a team sport is it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Inshore swimming should be pretty safe, certainly in small lakes. Faster flowing rivers can be a problem.

Offshore swimming is probably the problem. Tides and currents do cause issues for some swimmers.

I guess there's also the hypothermia, "cold bounce" problem if folk aren't aware of it and taking the right precautions.

We're ultra cautious after cold swimming, keeping an eye on each other for a bad reaction, warming up gently, warm drinks, warm clothing, minimising time in the water. There's quite a lot to be aware of and it can (and does) catch folk out.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:24 am
wild swimming
Anyone explain that bit? I'd have honestly thought that most lakes / rivers would be pretty quiet given it's Jan and I don't think it's generally considered to be a team sport is it?
I think it’s about minimising the risk of clogging up hospitals, not just about COVID transmission.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I appreciate that there's an element of risk Colin but it read as though wild swimming presented a higher risk of infection directly, rather than any knock-on effect of a potential rescue situation.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nah. I think it's the same as MCoS (and others) suggesting that you shouldn't be doing high-risk activities that might require the intervention of the emergency services and subsequent use of NHS resources (No Car, No Gnarr, Not Far). At least, that's how I've read it.
Verena

Post by Verena »

I think it's just generally considered a risky activity, trying to avoid additional strain on the NHS etc.
I always say these rules are always very blunt instruments....
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

As others have suggested, the main thing is about reducing the risk of stretching the NHS beyond where it is now. Falling off of a bike on a bridleway 5 miles from a road will potentially involve all sorts of services, probably not ideal right now.

I know that nothing is completely risk free, but a 5 mile walk in a loop around your house is way less risky than swimming in your local lake, riding 50km off road or going climbing.

Although the guys I know in A&E are missing the exciting injuries, a friend of mine was on shift during lockdown 1 when a man came in with a bloody tea towel. He had chopped off three fingers doing DIY, his wife was very unsympathetic and told them she had said that he should not do it as he was an accountant and should not be within 20' of the circular saw which he had just got from B&Q!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Cheddar Man wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:12 pm As others have suggested, the main thing is about reducing the risk of stretching the NHS beyond where it is now. Falling off of a bike on a bridleway 5 miles from a road will potentially involve all sorts of services, probably not ideal right now.

I know that nothing is completely risk free, but a 5 mile walk in a loop around your house is way less risky than swimming in your local lake, riding 50km off road or going climbing.

Although the guys I know in A&E are missing the exciting injuries, a friend of mine was on shift during lockdown 1 when a man came in with a bloody tea towel. He had chopped off three fingers doing DIY, his wife was very unsympathetic and told them she had said that he should not do it as he was an accountant and should not be within 20' of the circular saw which he had just got from B&Q!
Was that at Weston?
slarge

Post by slarge »

Cheddar Man wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:12 pm As others have suggested, the main thing is about reducing the risk of stretching the NHS beyond where it is now. Falling off of a bike on a bridleway 5 miles from a road will potentially involve all sorts of services, probably not ideal right now.

There is something almost amusing about an accountant with 7 fingers- maybe he’ll have to take his socks off to keep working. Or is it just my (poor) sense of humour?)