13 speed.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

13 speed.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm happily stuck in a world of 9 and 10 speed and can see no personal benefit to be gained by me chasing numbers ... if I'm slow, then that has absolutely nothing to do with the number of cogs on my cassette, trust me. However, I see Campag have a 13 speed drivetrain are they the first?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Re: 13 speed.

Post by Bearlegged »

Rohloff users arriving in 5, 4, 3, 2...
:wink:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

They’ve got the first production ready 13 speed derailleur but rotor did some wacky prototype hydraulic shifting thingy in 2019
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Shimano patented a 14 speed cassette/mech 20 years ago. They just never got around to making one to sell.
Boab

Post by Boab »

PaulB2 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:14 am They’ve got the first production ready 13 speed derailleur but rotor did some wacky prototype hydraulic shifting thingy in 2019
Rotor have been selling the hydraulic 1x13 system for a while, it's not cheap. It also doesn't say, gravel, anywhere in the bumf, unlike the Campag one.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It also doesn't say, gravel, anywhere in the bumf,
I'm surprised they sell any :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

rohloff users arriving in 5, 4, 3, 2...
waiting patiently.
AndreR

Post by AndreR »

ton wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:42 am
waiting patiently.
:lol:
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:17 am Shimano patented a 14 speed cassette/mech 20 years ago. They just never got around to making one to sell.
What?!! When there's all those sales of 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 speed systems to sell. Where's your rip off, err entrepreneurial spirit man? :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think Campag have been the 'first' of the mainstream manus to release a few one more sprocket set ups. Certainly 8 and 9 speeds I seem to recall, mebbes 11 as well. Remember when we only needed 6?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

yes just like I remember when we did not need suspension, disc brakes, etc

Some things are actual improvements some things are not

Not sure what the point is of more gears i have a couple of 10 speed set ups and a couple of 11
I am not sure i can really tell any difference between them [ though I am sure i could if i was counting :-bd ] as the range is the same

Gravel bikes would be better if we had a double option for bikepacking rather than 1 more step in the gears we allready have

YMMV
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

regardless of what you think of the amount of cogs, it's an absolutely luscious bit of kit in the flesh. Honestly, as with much of the campag gear, they have people by the heart not the head.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

As people have said, Rotor have a 13-speed but its not really mainstream.

Campagnolo Ekar really impressed me. Not just the range, which is good but the ergonomics.
It is lacking smaller chainrings though, so for big trips, loaded bikepacking, etc it might be a little too much.

It was one of the best bits of kit that I tested last year though and as someone who generally doesn't like Campag because I find the lever positions awkward the positioning was really nice.

Campag were pretty keen to have the test bike bag with them before Jan 1st, which was a shame :lol:
Beats GRX for range. Beats SRAM on all aspects. Can't match either on price, both fitted OE or aftermarket.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A lot of the "more gears" argument, particularly in relation to 1x setups, is about range but it's one thing that personally I don't really need. Even on a ten speed 11-42 it's rare that I'll use either extreme. Probably better to have an even ratio spacing within the range.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:26 pm Gravel bikes would be better if we had a double option for bikepacking rather than 1 more step in the gears we allready have

YMMV
Well, quite. 2x systems are available, it just seems that fashion over-rides practically.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

waiting patiently.
Go on then

I've be ahead of the game for year :wink:

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I've be[en] ahead of the game for year :wink:
Metaphorically but not physically :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist :cool:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

13. Exactly the amount of f***s I couldn't give about gears any more. SS or 10, that's what I have until I wear the stack of cassettes out.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

waiting patiently.
Pinion not the yet.
but Kindernay claim to be an all hydraulic shifting, swap wheel over on hubs interesting..
But my Rohloff was 28 speed...for the last 9 years...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:09 am I'm happily stuck in a world of 9 and 10 speed and can see no personal benefit to be gained by me chasing numbers ... if I'm slow, then that has absolutely nothing to do with the number of cogs on my cassette, trust me. However, I see Campag have a 13 speed drivetrain are they the first?
I think that you’re in a fairly ideal situation. Open the back door and hit some great riding without much road work needed. I’d love more gears, for many years I ran a rohloff, 14 ratios and a 526% range are ideal. I’m running SRAM AXS Eagle in dropbars, superb shifting, 500% range and off-road most of the time more range than I need, occasionally I spin out on a smooth fire road descent but I’d be happy enough to coast.
On the road I’d like a little more gear range but I find the gaps on the 12 speed are sometimes too wide, so much so that if I was putting together a gravel bike I’d be looking at a wide range 2X setup.

The 12 speed stuff is very reliable, in fact the Eagle chains have better life than the 11 speed stuff. The only disadvantage I’ve found is 12 speed is very fussy about setup, B-gap, indexing and hanger alignment, I expect 13 speed even more so.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:26 pm Not sure what the point is of more gears i have a couple of 10 speed set ups and a couple of 11
Gravel bikes would be better if we had a double option for bikepacking rather than 1 more step in the gears we allready have
I think you just answered your own question - more gears = smaller steps.
Not everybody wants/needs this, though
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

belugabob wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:59 pm
Lazarus wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:26 pm Not sure what the point is of more gears i have a couple of 10 speed set ups and a couple of 11
I think you just answered your own question - more gears = smaller steps.
Not everybody wants/needs this, though
Exactly! Both SRAM AXS and GRX both missed the mark in respect to range; especially in the low end.
I’d be interested to hear how clutch equipped mechs negate the odd chain drop we used to get.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark