Duece trowels

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Duece trowels

Post by ledburner »

Has anybody used ultra light weight Deuce 'ace of spades' trowels made by inkling inc/ the tent lab. Com. They are stocked by UltraLightoutdoor gear.co.uk. But I want a, second option before I spend £20+.
http://thetentlab.com/Deuce/DeuceofSpadespage.html

What are your experiences?
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Duece trowels

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not the best for hard ground, so only poo after rain or where it's a little squelchy. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Mine is good not great. If it’s hard/tough ground the handle digs into your hand.

A proper trowel is a lot better, but a deuce is a lot lighter. I tend to lob mine in my half frame bag, very little weight penalty and it’s a really handy little thing when it’s required!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'm going to buy one when my £3 Coghlans one finally breaks ... it's five or six years old and has dug me out of a lot of holes in all sorts of places.
I'm just going outside ...
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

100 poos for £1, although probably 50 as double bagging is best

https://fetch.co.uk/good-boy-antibacter ... lsrc=aw.ds

You would take all your other rubbish out, why not your pooh?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I forget how heavy the folding ones I dished at the Winter event and the WRT a couple of years ago are but I don't think they're actually very heavy - certainly cheaper and maybe more compact given they fold.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm 100 poos for £1, although probably 50 as double bagging is best

Dude. Seriously. Are you really packing out your dung in dog poo bags? Really?
I'm just going outside ...
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I carry a peg like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OMUKY-Lightwei ... NrPXRydWU=

I like dual use stuff.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Acquire some 1/8" thick dural plate, draw on trowel shape, cut out, bend down the middle. Much cheapness and reasonably effective even in form ground (dural is quite hard for an alloy)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

jay91

Post by jay91 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:03 pm I forget how heavy the folding ones I dished at the Winter event and the WRT a couple of years ago are but I don't think they're actually very heavy - certainly cheaper and maybe more compact given they fold.
They were good had a sharp edges though
Trying to ride bikes.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

benp1 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:45 pm Mine is good not great. If it’s hard/tough ground the handle digs into your hand.

A proper trowel is a lot better, but a deuce is a lot lighter. I tend to lob mine in my half frame bag, very little weight penalty and it’s a really handy little thing when it’s required!
In hard/tough ground ground turn it around and use the handle to dig - as per the instructions.
Mine is the second lightest one and is workable.
I also have a heavy folding Sea to Summit one from years ago when they sold under the brilliant name - iPoo’d. It has a recess in the handle for a lighter for burning the paper. It doesn’t dig any better for being heavier although it’s more comfortable in use.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

TheBrownDog wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:14 pm
Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:02 pm 100 poos for £1, although probably 50 as double bagging is best

Dude. Seriously. Are you really packing out your dung in dog poo bags? Really?
Surely: fertilizer bags :shock: :-bd :roll:
May you always have tail wind.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:24 pm
benp1 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:45 pm Mine is good not great. If it’s hard/tough ground the handle digs into your hand.

In hard/tough ground ground turn it around and use the handle to dig - as per the instructions.
Mine is the second lightest one and is workable.
I also have a heavy folding Sea to Summit one from years ago when they sold under the brilliant name - iPoo’d. It has a recess in the handle for a lighter for burning the paper. It doesn’t dig any better for being heavier although it’s more comfortable in use.
I didn't find that to be much help. The handle is narrower but rounded, the other end is broader but pointy. Both ends hurt my hand if you need to push hard, manning up or wearing gloves helps

I used to use, and still have, the MSR blizzard stake. I put a golf grip on it and it makes a nice handle.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Guy I rode the Dales Divide with had a "trowel" which was bit of standard 210ml sealant/caulk/No More Nails tube split and trimmed to a point at one end. Costs nowt, effectively takes up zero space since you can strap it to a frame tube, weighs very little. Probably pretty durable too - shhhh... was that the sound of Keith Bontrager's head exploding?
Boab

Post by Boab »

I need a trowel, so was reading through this thread before purchasing. So while it would seem like The Deuce would do the job, it's maybe a tad uncomfortable to use. The Vargo Dig Dig Tool while multi-functional, is rather spendy; it might be useful to carry something that could be used as a burly tent peg / deadman though, although what do you do if you need a poo and your tent hasn't been packed away?. The iPoo'd was mentioned and I found this Sea to Summit Pocket Trowel on Amazon, which is much cheaper, although the reviews aren't that good; it being nylon doesn't fill me with much confidence if the ground is hard either. So all options have downsides, but only one has blingy orange anodisation.

Any other options to consider*?

* Preferably that don't involve DIY bodging of silicon sealant tubes, which I'd have to go and buy, dump the contents of, clean out, etc, etc...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Boab wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:08 pm I need a trowel, so was reading through this thread before purchasing. So while it would seem like The Deuce would do the job, it's maybe a tad uncomfortable to use. The Vargo Dig Dig Tool while multi-functional, is rather spendy; it might be useful to carry something that could be used as a burly tent peg / deadman though, although what do you do if you need a poo and your tent hasn't been packed away?. The iPoo'd was mentioned and I found this Sea to Summit Pocket Trowel on Amazon, which is much cheaper, although the reviews aren't that good; it being nylon doesn't fill me with much confidence if the ground is hard either. So all options have downsides, but only one has blingy orange anodisation.

Any other options to consider*?

* Preferably that don't involve DIY bodging of silicon sealant tubes, which I'd have to go and buy, dump the contents of, clean out, etc, etc...
I have both an I-pood /sea to summit trowel and a Duece. I think it’s the mid weight Duece rather than the lightest.

The Sea to Summit collapsible nylon one is great, digs well and is very durable. It’s also very heavy. I only ever use it for when I go backpacking with my kids and we wild camp.
For bikepacking it’s the Duece every time. The weight and pack space is so low as to be negligible. It digs a reasonable cat hole in all but very hard ground. It isn’t that comfortable to use but I only crap once a day so that’s no big deal.
I don’t suppose there is anything stopping you tying off a guy line on a Duece to use as a peg if you really wanted/needed to.
Last edited by lune ranger on Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bob, let me have your address and I'll send you a nice foldable stainless one ... saves me inflicting injury by throwing them into the crowd at the WRT. :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I used a cheapo plastic garden trowel for a while. Then I bought a Dig Dig.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I bought a plastic trowel from the outdoor shop in Braemar about a year ago & although I’ve not used it loads, when I have it’s been good. Think it’s this one, but will only be able to confirm when I’m home laters..

https://www.braemarmountainsports.com/o ... owel__4857

I love a morning outdoor poo…
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
arkay

Post by arkay »

Wotsits wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:06 pm I bought a plastic trowel from the outdoor shop in Braemar about a year ago & although I’ve not used it loads, when I have it’s been good. Think it’s this one, but will only be able to confirm when I’m home laters..

https://www.braemarmountainsports.com/o ... owel__4857

I love a morning outdoor poo…
And it has a built-in measuring scale so you can record your PB :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

I can feel a BBB competition or badge looming
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Boab

Post by Boab »

NO PHOTOS!!! 🙈
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I think it’s the squatting…
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Eh? I thought you had your own home?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster