Fat Fighters 2021

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Fat Fighters 2021

Post by FLV »

Morning girthfolk... :lol: Straight in, no messing....

Here we go again,
This here is the newest bestest thread to bare all and show your scores in the battle against both lethargy and lard... lets see the chunk off together

2020 is gone, time to reset. Forget where you were (entirely up to you obviously), lets list where we start 2021 and targets and get on with not filling our faces with pie :grin:

To quote Gairy (from 2019)...
gairym wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:15 am soon we go into battle!!!

Friday weigh ins? I'm going to do Fridays, but whatever you want.

Weigh in one for me,

01/01/21, 97.7kg

Target 1, 92.5kg by the time the clocks change 28th March
Target 2, 87.5kg by midsummers day 20th June

A big ask, but I think I have it in me to get there :-bd
The plan, quite simply, I am going to exercise and enjoy the outdoors and stay off booze, crappy snacks and junk food. Sounds easy.!

What are your plans?
SeannyD

Re: Fat Fighters 2021

Post by SeannyD »

14 stone by the end of the year. :-bd Hopefully :wink:
gairym

Post by gairym »

Morning all!

Hell yeah, let's get back into it.....

01-01-21 - 115.4kg*

(*I may have accidentally gotten on it last night after stating that I'd get an early night)

1st goal: at least 1kg loss each month (ideally much more)

2nd goal: be under 100kg by the end of the year.

Final goal: get down to 95kg and then stay between 95-100kg forever and live happily ever after.....

Good luck everyone!!!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Post work night shift and a breakky at work (gonna stop eating from there as they're standards are sub). 85.9kg this am...

Thanks for the thread Dave...
gairym

Post by gairym »

So.....what tools, approaches or restrictions are folk going to attempt to employ???

I'm keeping things simple this time round.

- Six weeks of no booze starting today (sleep apnea treatment enforced but just a general good idea anyway) followed by significantly lower alcohol consumption.

- Keep an eye on portion sizes and empty carb/calorie elements of my meals.

- Smarter and less frequent/automatic meat consumption.

- Approaching zero unnecessary sugar consumption.

- More exercise, more core strength effort, smarter exercise and gradually start running again.

Sounds like a lot and quite complicated all written down but it's mostly just being sensible and using common sense (let's see how that goes :-bd )
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Started next block of Trainer road with an FTP ramp test, increased to 239 from 225, (not that it means much but I’m a bit of a geek with fitness metrics)
Start some strengh training probably body weight based with some Yoga too.
Off beer during week and when working away. Eat sensibly use My Fitness Pal to count calories.
Relax on the weekends but reduce alcohol intake.
Get out on the bike more.
Less cheese!! :-bd
ton

Post by ton »

i dont bother with getting weighed. i just go on with how i feel whilst riding.
but just got weighed to see.
21 stone on the nail.

i managed just shy of 7000 miles last year, so i will stick with the not getting weighed thing.

good luck all.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Weighed myself yesterday and discovered I'm the fattest I've ever been at 76.3kg meaning I've put on one Kilo a month for the past three months. Not working means the kitchen is always there combined with staying up until the early hours and eating late at night is mostly to blame.
I suffer badly with S.A.D. and the subsequent depression/self loathing means I know what I'm doing and just don't care which is even more stupid when I'm on medication for cholestrol and blood pressure.
Target weight is sub 73kg by the end of March and 70 kg by the end of summer.
Cutting out the Doritos, Chocolate , cake and eating after 7 in the evening and starting a 12 week training programme on the Turbo trainer.
Loki

Post by Loki »

I managed to get an all clear from my GP, I have had three years away from cycling, just the odd ride here n there. I suffer from high blood pressure, which I have struggled to control, the doc does not know why. So I am starting at a staggering 144kg, not proud of it but there we go, I want to be sub 125kg or better. I have been riding gently for the past 2-4 months, building up slowly, I have scaring in my heart and arteries which could burst if I go too mad, 20 min warm ups are a norm lol.

Start 144kg
8/01/21 - 144kg
Last edited by Loki on Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

My plan is to get fitter by finding time to exercise. By reducing snacking at the same time I’m aiming to get back down to 68kg again so most of my cycling kit fits and actually stay there this time. When I track food intake with MyFitnessPal then I seem to do ok, otherwise I just seem to put weight back on so I just need to be a bit (ok, a lot) more disciplined this year.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Starting again at a nearly all time high of 117.7kg after a succession of crap health years and then 2020.

I've essentially just been told to manage my heart issues as it's not bad enough to warrant the risk of more invasive exploration. Essentially means not to hard or too long, something I just need to figure out. Off road riding is still out until I can get my steroid injections in the wrists (not happening due to covid).

The plan is largely zwifting for now, gravel grinder program, sea swimming, and walking. I don't drink, but need to stop bad bingeing habits which aren't helped by still working from home.

If I'm 100kg by easter I'll be very happy, 90kg by the summer when hopefully more fun can be had out and about.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Be careful with the Zwift training programs they are a bit full on which might not be ideal if you've heart issues. Not looked at the gravel grinder one. Have a search on YouTube for Dylan Johnson - he does a takedown of them as do others but he is a competitor to them in a way. Be warned his accent can grate a little to UK ears.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
gairym

Post by gairym »

gravel grinder???
Isn't that the new hipster gay dating cycling app???

:roll:

But joking aside, 27kg loss by summer is a massive ask!

Then again, if you don't aim big then you'll never achieve it - good luck to you fella!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Yeh it is a big ask, but I've pretty much done it before with low carb and exercise. Though with the limits on exercise it may not work out, especially as I'm trying to be more sensible with what I do. Actually been having counseling to help sort things out to avoid the binge/bust on both aspects which is a long term thing.

Bob, yeh I know the criticism of the zwift programmes and follow Dylan Johnson on YT. There is a method in my madness as mentioned before in 'that other forum' as my ftp is deliberately set low and gives me some structure/controls what I do. I'm finding it much less exhausting that if I was left to my own devices as I do too much, too hard, too often despite tracking in elevate.

BTW I appreciated the TR free month you sent and looked into the plans, but can't see me paying out monthly for it on top of other (family) commitments, though I do think it is ultimately better for training.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi all. My plan is the same as last year really.

It's a mindset and lifestyle shift. It went well for me for the middle of the year but I shifted back a little after October.

Back to that for me. No booze, low sat fat foods, no junk such as crisps etc. Essentially, I just don't need it in my life, it does nothing for me except a short term taste fix. I'm still actually getting used to not having that food / beer enjoyment and spend a long time trying to replace it. But, it's about cutting it out.

I'll still have burgers, cheese, whatever, just in moderation. My wife seems intent on feeding me take aways currently, but that'll pass :grin:
redefined_cycles

This is my plan as I really need to shake off this belly (and reduce the risk of getting diabetes as I do eat well over what I'm supposed to, with alot of sugars). Missus keeps taking the pee...

So I'll be doing a weigh-in twice weekly and if not the same or lighter, a 3rd weigh in after getting back ontrack with summat extreme.

Also, twice weekly (declared or not) a target for the day. Todays target, a nice simple one - after having seen a scrumptious choc brownie made bt the missus or daughter in't fridge - no chocolates or associated stuff like biscuits/brownies all day. Will allow myself some demerera sugar in the tea though.

:smile:
FLV

Post by FLV »

You sound determined Shaf,

Just take care not to let fluctuations caused by (de)hydration and exercise etc drive you crazy.

If I see a high reading, or a low one for that matter. It usually levels out later that day or the next morning.

But, of course we are all different, and only you know you..
redefined_cycles

FLV wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:27 am You sound determined Shaf,

Just take care not to let fluctuations caused by (de)hydration and exercise etc drive you crazy.

If I see a high reading, or a low one for that matter. It usually levels out later that day or the next morning.

But, of course we are all different, and only you know you..
Yup... Defo, thanks for that Dave. I'll be trying my best to only weigh-up after waking up and been to the toilet. Good point on dehydration (I'm a crit care nurse remember, we're bonkers about hydration and probably make people sick around us with 'advice' to them :lol: )...

Forgot to say, when I've achieved each weekly target I'll try and get a slap up meal too. Seriously considering starting takeaway-half portions and enforcing it at home. Don't think I'll get far though with thw kids. Will try though..
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

If you want to be really accurate you could do a 7 day rolling average like RichardG does and make sure you weigh yourself at the same time of day.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm weighing myself every morning and then just keeping a record (but not obsessing about it) so that I'll spot the trend over time.

I'll then record Fridays weight here, whatever that is.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Apparently having a stressful day allows you more calories with My Fitness Pal. My fitness watch has credited me with around 4 pints of beers worth of calories despite my only real activity being taking a child to the dentist.

It amuses me anyway :grin:
gairym

Post by gairym »

Quick Fatfighters booze tip!

Lagunitas 'Daytime IPA' is 4% and only 98 kcals - :-bd

I'm currently off the booze but did some research a while back in order to minimise calorific intake from beer.

It's not the best beer in the world but you can have a LOT more of them!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Slow start / No start here :grin:

Start 01/01/21, 97.7kg
Today 08/01/21, 97.6kg

Nowt really, just water or something.

I'll have a good think about the intake. (It's not been great to be fair). Exercise level is fine. Run or ride every day.

Given I'm not looking for a crash/short term fix it's probably fine.
gairym

Post by gairym »

08-01-21 - 114.8kg
01-01-21 - 115.4kg

After a blisteringly good start to the week I slowly but predictibly fell back on a few of my (lesser) bad habits as a massive workload, looming work deadlines and a lovely upturn in my insomnia took its toll.

I'd say I'm 80% following my own rules at this point but it's hard running a calorie deficit along side a really hard physical job in freezing conditions (-12°c yesterday and today) and it's been impossible to shoehorn any exercise into the week so far.

Still, lost some weight so can't really complain.

Marathon not a Sprint etc...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

31/12/2020 76.5
8/1/2021 75.1

It’s a wonder what cutting out beer and cake will do. It was also a low meat week so a bit of a flush out of the system.