Your top 3 ITT tips.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Your top 3 ITT tips.

Post by redefined_cycles »

pistonbroke wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:00 pm Re changing a spoke without removing the tyre, I've managed it 3 times. Agreed that if the break is at the nipple it's game over but I carry a pair of mini pliers which hold the nipple to stop it falling into the rim. I put a bend in the broken spoke having already taken the hub end out and replaced it with a new one, unscrew the broken bit whilst holding the nipple tightly and carefully screw it into the new spoke whilst bending it as much as I dare to avoid it pushing the nipple into the rim. Once it's caught, use a normal spoke key to tension it. I normally carry all the lengths needed but they're about 2mm shorter than ideal. Having explained it, the next time will be a total disaster.
This is genius... You're a genius and a true specimen of reflective thought. Wow,wee... :-bd
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

1. Make sure you have practiced and know your kit. Don't fiddle in the last few weeks before, so check wear levels well in advance.

2. Be prepared but be able to be flexible. Nothing ever goes perfectly to plan and sometimes just one little mishap or broken part can have such a mental effect that messes with your mind.

3. Trust your thurst, drink when thirsty. Don't trust your hunger. Eat regularly and constantly.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Personally my approach to a broken spoke is to bodge a repair

https://www.instructables.com/Emergency ... epair-Kit/

I have the top half pre bent and I woulld bend the bottomhalf to be able to tighten - assuming its casette side and cannot be removed otherwise i would remove it .
The beauty is I have three spokes of any length for about the same weight of one spoke
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Richpips

Post by Richpips »

1. Any body niggles need addressing immediately.
2. The mental game is the one to win.
3. Don't apply your ass cream to the outside of your shorts.
Mart

Post by Mart »

1 - be prepared (Fitness, route knowledge, bike prep)

2 - make good decisions along the way (food, liquid, pushing on etc)

3 - enjoy the challenge
2924 miles per Gallon
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

1. Ride down the bumpiest track you know fully loaded before you set off or even better a long set of stairs, you will change something after that.
2. Take a hard copy route profile map with you, knowing whats coming and what to get over or stop before can be a game changer
3. Smile, its better than sitting on your arse :grin:
The old git in the yellow socks
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

Richpips wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:02 pm 3. Don't apply your ass cream to the outside of your shorts.
Sounds like there’s a story behind this one?
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.