Without further ado, I present to you the Winter 313!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Without further ado, I present to you the Winter 313!

Post by redefined_cycles »

I hope Stu or Dee don't mind me putting this up as it's based on the Rapha500 (or Festive500... but it's not Festive for me so I stick with the Crikey, how much-prefix) and has its roots in that. It's just a ride that I reckon if I don't advertise on here it'll probably not take off... :smile: Most of us get plenty outdoors time anyway, but many end up couped up indoors in these lovely months (and beyond). I really feel thats not good for the mental health and hopefully this might be one rose to combat it...

Basically for the past few years I've somehow managed to ride the Rapha500 for charity. But I've always done it with a slight variation and called it Ride313... or Solo313... That makes it just 2.3 more miles longer than the 500km of the Rapha500.

This year Crikey, how much have decided to make the ride open to indoor-ers. Which is all well and good but IMO it's the great outdoors that, somewhat, helps the brain 'satisfy' and (again IMO) is much better for the heart than indoor exercise. Especially playstation style :o (sorry).

So I've decided to run the 313 - that I usually attempt simultaneously with the Rapha500 - as a seperate entity. This year I'll not attempt to complete it for charity (cos I'm tired and it's probably not socially appropriate/acceptable to tramp out of my cage for a ride). I still want to keep that Rapha500 outdoor theme going though as well as get the benefit of assisting to raise some dosh for charity.

I've put my blueprint out there on a cycling club I'm on but I doubt there'll be much uptake (don't think I can afford the woven badge that Rapha500 used to draw in the crowds with and my postcard idea might not appeal as much).

So here I am, putting the ride out to a wider platform and where someone might actually bother to go attempt it. Here's the deal...

Between 5th and 15th Jan, ride 313 outdoor miles. Donate £25 into a charity cause - of a most needy type thing (I'm gonna be giving mine to the Yemen Hunger crisis as there's never been such devastatingly dire hunger levels in history), maybe your local homeless charity, Mtn Rescue, Macmillan... whatever - then go out and ride.

The prize (other than the satisfaction of having helped charity and frozen yourself half to death and survived)... Well I'm still working on some sort of fridge magnet with a nice pic, verse of the Quran and the Winter313 logo. But don't hold your breath. So what I'll be dping for anyone that completes on here is sending you a copy of the english translation (yet to be bought) of The Quran. Not sure if that's any enticement...

Thanks for listening (and don't tell Macron)... :smile:

NB: If you wished to complete it but not get the prize, that's absolutely fine and I'll still be chuffed :-bd
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Without further ado, I present to you the Winter 313!

NB. Like what my mate Jonny (of Colne Valley Mountain Bike Challenge fame) said to me when he learnt I only kept coming back for the tshirt, "you can get them for a tenner". Well anyone that can't be bothered (like most of my mates at Brothers on Bikes), here's a free online copy https://quran.com

But it's not the same as having earned and frozen for a book form...
redefined_cycles

Gonna cancel this for the immediate future. Anyone that had planned to get out there and fetch them miles over the next 10 days... I will open it up again at some point in the future but for the mo, if you was doing it to get one of the prizes (ie. copy of the literal translation of The Quran and are happy to treat it with respect) just PM me and I'll assume you'd have completed it... Will send you one through anyway...

Watch this space for the event to open up again at some point in future... :sad: (don't have a telly, nor radio in car, just caught up with AlJazeera English Live with whom I find there's less 'baggage' to sift through...).

Ride safe
robbie

Post by robbie »

redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:49 pm AlJazeera English Live with whom I find there's less 'baggage' to sift through...).

Ride safe
You mean less scare mongering and repeatedly saying the same thing over and over!
I bloody hate the British media.
redefined_cycles

robbie wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:55 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:49 pm AlJazeera English Live with whom I find there's less 'baggage' to sift through...).

Ride safe
You mean less scare mongering and repeatedly saying the same thing over and over!
I bloody hate the British media.
Yup... thats it. Learnt loads in my weekly (or monthly) hit. Only about 5 mins was on Covid but taught me enough to make a few more changes. Plus they have all the journalists (it seems) that don't like to be pushed about by their editors. Purely my opinion based on experience but I read/heard somewhere that they also have a slant. Yet to figure it out as it's not too obvious from the outset.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ok you're on, I like the idea of an unknown to-be-announced time to get some miles done.