Best dropouts for ss or rohloff ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Best dropouts for ss or rohloff ?

Post by ton »

thinking about getting some new dropouts fitted to a steel frame. to run single speed and rohloff.
anyone tell me which are the ones to choose ?
lune ranger

Re: Best dropouts for ss or rohloff ?

Post by lune ranger »

I would say that it’s Rohloff OEM1 dropouts - the key feature is a slotted (vertical) left hand dropout that works with the axle plate on the hub and acts as the torque arm.
These could be sliding/rocker like on a Salsa or fixed to work with an EBb like on a Thorn or fixed to work with a chain tensioner like on a Nicolai suspension frame.
If you are getting a frame reworked consider having a chain stay splitter fitted so you can run a Gates belt drive. In this case you definitely need an ebb or rocker.
Any ebb or sliding dropout bike is good for Rohloff though. The method for torque suppression is a little different but nearly as neat as OEM1. This is known as OEM2. Your ECR has an integrated anchor point for Rohloff OEM2.
You don’t even need that. Any vertical dropout frame (135mm) is ok. You need a long torque arm and tensioner. I ran my Rohloff like this for 8 years. The aesthetic is a bit clunky/industrial but it is a very workable solution.
Edit- Rohloff now do a number of versions with bolt through and fat bike spacing etc do you don’t even need a 135mm qr frame anymore.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Single speed and rohloff don't necessarily use the same dropouts.

I'd get the frame modified to take sliding dropouts and then you can chop and change the sliders to suit. You can then also fit a slider with a hanger if you want to put gears on it as well. Ceeway have a range of sliders and the plate dropout that goes on the frame so you can see the sort of thing I'm on about.

https://www.framebuilding.com/NEWPARTSP ... opouts.htm
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

sean_iow wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:40 pm Single speed and rohloff don't necessarily use the same dropouts.

https://www.framebuilding.com/NEWPARTSP ... opouts.htm
This is correct but a qr wheel will sit perfectly well in a Rohloff OEM dropout. I’ve done that only last month to try an SS set up.
WSC
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The thing is, with the Rohloff OEM dropout, he will also need some means of tensioning the chain. My Van Nicholas has these dropouts and they work fine but it also has an EBB to tension the chain which I'm assuming Ton's frame lacks. A previous frame had track style horizontal sliding dropouts which I used with a chain tug but it was a bit of a hassle to get the wheel out as the disc mount had to be loosened. Of course a spring tensioner would work but that's not an elegant solution.
ton

Post by ton »

just been thinking, a surly singulator would be a heck of a lot easier.i fear i may go that way.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Tony.
The ECR will work well with a Rohloff. My Krampus does. I have a qr Rohloff with a Allen key operated skewer. I use a Surly Tuggnut to help stop slipping. I use an OEM2 axle plate that works with a Monkeybone disk mount.
It works fine.
Your ECR doesn’t need the Monkeybone as it has an integrated anchor point for the axle plate.
If you can’t be arsed with the Tuggnut then use the Rohloff chain tensioner (which is excellent) and you can be absolutely assured of no axle slippage and a nice tight chain.
WSC
ton

Post by ton »

the ecr has gone now. i am officially a 1 bike bloke now.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

What do you have now?
WSC
ton

Post by ton »

just my disc trucker. i am streamlining.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

12mm bolt through axle?

Then just go with a Rohloff chain tensioner and OEM2 (A12 - bolt through version) axle plate and Monkey bone disk adapter and you will be neat and ready to roll.
WSC
Loki

Post by Loki »

Rohloff A12 is not a true bolt through, it uses spacers and bolts going into the hub axle, you get no benefits from using it over the normal TS (nutted) or CC system, you also do not have to go to all the faff of measuring all the drop outs using the kit from Rohloff, you could if you were custom building the frame or adapting an existing one then use the drop outs from Paragon Machine Works, these are one of a couple of A12 drop outs that don't need the measuring process.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Sounds like op has a 12mm bolt through frame and has changed direction on getting a frame alteration.
WSC
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Do you need to do anything at all? You’ll need some way of tensioning the chain, so an eccentric BB of some sort. You can get solutions for any shell type.

Get the Rohloff disc brake mount of your choice and you don’t need a specific dropout or torque bar.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Personally having run horizontally dropouts with a rohloff it’s a royal pain in the ass removing the wheel, I much preferred my Bigdummy and a tensioner.
If I was to run another rohloff I’d go for a frame like my Fargo, alternator dropouts allow chain tensioning and can be swapped to accommodate all current standards.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ton

Post by ton »

I’d go for a frame like my Fargo,
:-bd :-bd :-bd
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

The salsa dropouts on my el mariachi were very simple and clean looking with my rohloff , gutted I sold it