Rear mudgaurd picks?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Rear mudgaurd picks?

Post by FLV »

Ok, sorry, I know we have likely been round this a few times. But here goes...

On a mountain bike, with no provision for actual properly mounted mudgaurds, what's your pick?

Heres what I've tried, and why I'm looking for something else...

Mudhugger,
it's always warped... Everyone I have seen is warped. But the biggest issue is this mudgaurds attempt to eat whatever frame I attach it to. Yes, I have wrapped inner tube and tape around the stays, yet it has eaten the tape and is assaulting the tube trying to get to my paint.
Also, several of the mount points are unusable due to cable guides.
Good mud protection, but, annoying.

Crud catcher,
Easy to mount, but can't alway get it close to the rear tyre. Dependant on frame. Either whacks the tyre, or points at the sky after a descent (obscuring the light and doing a worse job of protecting my bum)
Rattles where the guard mounts to the clamp arm (now glued)
Not too bad on the frames it works on.

Zefal RS75
Buzzes the tyre, clamp snapped,
Nice coverage when first fitted, didn't last long though.

Silly seat rail ones
Useless. May as well not bother.

So, what's your choice out back?

Ta.

Oh. Front ones.
RRP proguard max. No issues, great product.
Pop a crud catcher / gut fender low on the down tube to supplement and it's great.
Cheddar Man

Re: Rear mudgaurd picks?

Post by Cheddar Man »

2l coke bottle?

Slice it in half from the bottom to the neck. Pop 2 holes in the cap and cable tie it to the seat post. When it's muddy screw the bottle in place, when it isn't take the bottle off!

As it doesn't hinge like a Crud Catcher it stays where you put it.

They work on road bikes too, and are really cheap :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mudhugger works for me.

Any warping should be sorted with a hair dryer. I used one to stretch the Mudhugger out enough to fit on my fatbike
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Paint wear is best fixed by having a Titanium frame...
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

SKS fatboard, use it on my fatbike and plus bike. Attaches to seatpost in seconds. Doesn't stop all the sub standard, but good enough.
May satan walk with you
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I’ve had reasonable success with the Topeak defender m2

Positives

- QR clamp makes it easy to put on/take off with virtually zero faff
- the articulating arm means you can get close to the wheel
- spares are available to replace bits if the get broken
- relatively cheap
- not as fugly as most mudguards

Negatives

- QR clamp means it’s never as tight as a bolt on option so it can be easy to knock off centre (although this might be beneficial in a crash)
- articulating arm and clamp are plastic so both are weak points
- the M2 only comes in 26in flavour
- attaches to seat post so guard needs to mounted higher for full suss bikes which reduces effectiveness and makes it more prone to being knocked out of alignment
Al

Post by Al »

I really wish that someone would re-make the original rear crud guard with the alloy stays to fit a 29er with nice wide tyres.
2B49DE29-FF54-4B76-A28D-F04BA2B7889C.jpeg
(23.35 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

FLV wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:23 am Zefal RS75
Sorry about that. :lol:
Last edited by In Reverse on Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Mudhugger for me on my fat bike, no issues with warping in three years continuous use and heli-tape protects the frame okay. Ugly but very effective. On my 29er it's a Crud Catcher set up just above the tyre (it does tap the tyre on bumpy descents but doesn't do any harm). Nowhere near as effective as the Mudhugger but it's okay and tightened up super tight it doesn't budge at all.
jobro

Post by jobro »

Arse Saver Fendor Bendor large version covering a 2" tyre on my Mason. Seems to work fine and no issues with frame rub.
FLV

Post by FLV »

In Reverse wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:49 pm
FLV wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:23 am Zefal RS75
Sorry about that. :lol:
I was quite rough with it to be fair :lol:
If I can get a spare part it will be fine again, just not on that bike
FLV

Post by FLV »

jobro wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:12 pm Arse Saver Fendor Bendor large version covering a 2" tyre on my Mason. Seems to work fine and no issues with frame rub.
Had not seen them before, look worth a go. ta
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

mudhugger everytime. My latest one is designed for bouncers so has a slightly sharper angle between the bit that zip ties to your frame and the guard, plus is a useful 4" longer - Ideal for anything with shallow seat stays (Jones, Stooge etc). I've used the heliptape OK but sections of roadie tyre work best. Just cut the beads off and wrap them round yer chainstays. Also use proper burly zip ties and heave them super tight. Just wish there could be a way to bolt them on as per trials bikes.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

The mudhugger didn’t work at all on my Bandit, the shallow angle of the seat stays meant it sat too far forward and my back was covered in muck after the first ride. When I contacted the manufacturer they said I needed to buy an ‘extender’ for another tenner which would then make their product work with my frame.

So I’d say check your stay angle before purchasing as you might need to size up (or buy the ‘extender’ at additional cost)
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

rudedog wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:20 pm The mudhugger didn’t work at all on my Bandit, the shallow angle of the seat stays meant it sat too far forward and my back was covered in muck after the first ride. When I contacted the manufacturer they said I needed to buy an ‘extender’ for another tenner which would then make their product work with my frame.

So I’d say check your stay angle before purchasing as you might need to size up (or buy the ‘extender’ at additional cost)
They make three different versions now to accommodate frames with different seat angles.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Jurassic wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:48 pm
rudedog wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:20 pm The mudhugger didn’t work at all on my Bandit, the shallow angle of the seat stays meant it sat too far forward and my back was covered in muck after the first ride. When I contacted the manufacturer they said I needed to buy an ‘extender’ for another tenner which would then make their product work with my frame.

They make three different versions now to accommodate frames with different seat stay angles.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I don't know if there is an MTB equivalent of the SKS speedrocker but they do a decent job on my gravel bike.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

SKS VeloFlexx 65.
(If you buy these the secret is to fit the yoke on the rear mudguard backwards :-bd and not as shown in the instructions)
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Mariner wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:36 am SKS VeloFlexx 65.
(If you buy these the secret is to fit the yoke on the rear mudguard backwards :-bd and not as shown in the instructions)
I quite fancy these for my mason. I assume you've used them? Do they stay put off road?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Ironically after being rock solid for three years I managed to break my rear mudhugger today. An accelerated dismount as a result of my foot slipping on the snowy ground led to me inadvertently kicking the rear mudguard as I got off and it broke two of the mounting points. To be fair it's withstood similar abuse throughout it's life without complaint so I don't feel too bad about it. A quick session with the drill and a few larger cable ties have seen it reinstalled ready for tomorrow's ride but I think I might splash out on a new one next month.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I quite fancy these for my mason. I assume you've used them? Do they stay put off road?
Yes fitted on a Stooge with short chain stays so needed fettling.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.