Simplest/cheapest way to increase the 'cold-temp' of spd boots

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: Simplest/cheapest way to increase the 'cold-temp' of spd boots

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:19 pm I've always filled the holes with silicon sealant. Not so much from a heat-retention point of view, more to prevent water and moisture getting into the boot (or between the sole and waterproof liner/sock.)
Yes, Waterproofing my primary motive...
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Not read the whole thread but I’ve loads of reflectix type stuff if you need any Shaf, single or double layer

You could cut a couple out to match the insole shape and see if it helps? I’ve used it inside boots for winter camping.

Ping me your addy and I’ll get some in the post for you
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Shewie wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:06 pm Not read the whole thread but I’ve loads of reflectix type stuff if you need any Shaf, single or double layer

You could cut a couple out to match the insole shape and see if it helps? I’ve used it inside boots for winter camping.

Ping me your addy and I’ll get some in the post for you
Thanks Rich. I'm all sorted now thanks. At some point I'm gonna grab some Pedags for about £11 but that's more to do with removing my previous insole and allowing the space thats there to remain. :-bd Much appreciated as always...
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

This thread has been a fascinating read and just goes to show how many of us are facing the same problems. The feeling of heat disappearing through the cleat is one I experienced as well in my Giro Alpineduro boots. I was riding a lot in temperatures well below what they are designed for and didn't have any room for extra thick socks. I ended up with the following combo for ultimate warmth:

- Swapped insoles for cheap foil-backed fleece ones as mentioned earlier on. (Want to try these at some point)
- Ski socks up to the knee under full length tights (Thick socks better if you have room, I didn't!).
- Basic neoprene overshoes (Cost me £6 from SJS about 15 years ago).

This has worked on a 200 mile ride down to to -11 up north in Scotland, but I went for a pair of new Mavic winter boots this year to try and simplify things, allow thicker socks and improve wet weather performance. They are better for the cold cleat issue without changing anything, but I think if I ever get down to those temperatures again, I will still need an overshoe to insulate the front portion of the boots, as the cold flow of air is constantly robbing heat from there when getting up a bit of speed on the road.
jameso

Post by jameso »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:13 pm So, being that waterproof (whatever the preferred term is) which don't have a hole from the cleat to the inside of the shoe, would still benefit from a glue-gun jobby over the excess recess around where the cleat is sat?? Is that what we're saying physics says?

If so I might just get the gluegun out myself... Ledburner?? James or whoever else has an interest and knowledge of thermal stuff (thermal dynamics?? enthalpy changes? etc)...
If there's a sealed cleat plate area then adding glue-gun sealing to the holes won't change much at all, I don't think.

(I have a mild interest but zero actual knowledge in this area, just looked up some basics to test the idea/theory)
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Hot glue sealed shoes. keep thd damp out, thus limiting corrosion and may make swapping cleats, easier.
Save a lot of swearing & trying to drill the screw heads off! x(
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Al

Post by Al »

Last few days presented a great opportunity to try out my myog spaceman innersole with aerogel in.

Monday was a very steady 2 - 2 1/2 our ride at minus 5 and Sunday’s slightly longer but similar temps with the windchill.
Will be interested to see how they fair on longer rides but no cold spots and probably the comfiest I’ve been in spd boots below zero.
8F13F8B2-784F-4207-BD61-61A7BCC1C3A3.jpeg
(79.28 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Given how easy / cheap they were to make I’d definitely recommend it if your suffering. They are in the myog forum if you fancy a go :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

JoseMcTavish wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:10 pm This thread has been a fascinating read and just goes to show how many of us are facing the same problems
I'd really always thought it was just me and my winter boots plan always starts in the summer. This year unfortunately with both the walking boots failure and the shimano replacement I've ended up being locked in and ended up having to think it through properly.

Always assumed that spd shoes would always be 'not good enough' for the winters bit last year speaking to Lune Ranger I realised that there is possibilities (we were discussing the cheaper 45nrth boots which I'd have bought instead of the mw5 if they were in stock somewhere.

Glad that Al and his adapted soles worked well and I'll be getting them winter Pedags myself (Gian spoke highly of the company and they're not overly priced)...