Treating Silnylon floors

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BenS

Treating Silnylon floors

Post by BenS »

I have a SMD Lunar Solo which I like very much apart from the very slippery ground sheet. I have seen this http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylo ... escription
It’s basically painting both sides with a 3:1 mix white spirit to silicone sealant.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this to a silnylon groundsheet? Any ideas where to get a sample of silnylon in the uk to try it on before I commit to doing this on my tent?
woodsmith

Re: Treating Silnylon floors

Post by woodsmith »

I used a tube of Mcnetts SilNet diluted slightly with meths and painted 25mm wide ( used a foam brush) stripes across the width of the floor in my Trekkertent. Worked a treat stopping the thermarest skating all over the place. The only downside is dirt tends to stick to it.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Yep , used silnet solution on the floor of my borah bivy as I kept waking up outside my tarp , it works a treat just don’t make the solution to thick
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I painted some strips across my borah bivi using silicon sealant diluted with white spirit. I turned it inside out, masked up some 25mm wide strips and painted it on.

The only issue you might have is that it's winter, you really want to do it outside and leave it in the sun to dry.

If you have a shed or garage that would do but it might take longer to dry. I wouldn't do it in the house unless you have a fetish for the smell of silicon diluted in white spirit :lol:

If your worried about it damaging the fabric and want to test it then PM me your address and I'll post you an offcut of silnylon from the fabric I made my floor from.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BenS

Post by BenS »

Thanks for the feedback- sounds like it’s the way to go. It’ll have to wait for a sunny day next year, stinking the house out with white spirit would not make for a happy lockdown