Mini Front Racks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Mini Front Racks

Post by Boab »

Following on from my Trek 1120 post the other day, I was pondering front racks. Both the rack that comes with the Trek 1120 and the Mason Condenser, are propitiatory and only fit their branded fork. Is there anything similar that is a generic fit, maybe mounting on fork leg cage mounts...?

I know lots of people use things like anywhere cages and whatnot, to keep the front roll off their cables. Just pondering that those little racks look like a nice solution to that problem. Would drilling an existing aluminium fork, say the one off a Sonder Frontier, with the correct hole pattern, and fitting rivnuts, be an option, or a route to loosing all your teeth...?

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Mini Front Racks

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

From an engineering point, a rack like those pictured that cantilevers off bolts, is a poor idea. As you say, having support in the form of legs running from nearer the front of the rack to the forks is a much better and far stronger solution.

May the bridges you burn light your way
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

On ebay, lots of sellers, don't know what it weighs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-All ... ect=mobile
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I have little to no idea about these shopper-conversions that rufty tufty riders seem to be plumping for (tongue-firmly-in-cheek :wink:) BUT, are they little bumpers on the back of the Trek-basket in case the bar twists and hits the frame?

Blinking flip that seems a bit chancy and an easy way to kybosh a ride / bike / fork :shock:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:52 am From an engineering point, a rack like those pictured that cantilevers off bolts, is a poor idea. As you say, having support in the form of legs running from nearer the front of the rack to the forks is a much better and far stronger solution.

Shame the Soma website give no indication how long that rack is, but that's sort of what I had in mind. The Steco Balhead is the kind of shape I had in my head, but I suppose from a cantilever point of view, bracing off the front of the rack to the fork, is better than bracing off the back.
mikejd wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:08 am On ebay, lots of sellers, don't know what it weighs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-All ... ect=mobile
Most of those look like they to be fitted to your v-brake bosses, so I'm assuming some form of p-clip or similar would be needed, rather than attaching to existing cage mounts.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Allygn Diamond front rack

https://bikepacking.com/news/allygn-diamond-front-rack/

Comes with the Gucci pricetag as with much of the stuff featured on there.

Or the Tumbleweed T rack https://bikepacking.com/gear/tumbleweed ... ck-review/
Boab

Post by Boab »

woodsmith wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:30 am Allygn Diamond front rack

https://bikepacking.com/news/allygn-diamond-front-rack/

Comes with the Gucci pricetag as with much of the stuff featured on there.
That's pretty much what I had in mind, but I'm not paying Gucci prices... 220€...!!! 🤯
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

These are easy enough to attach with this fitment, but may be a bit bouncy. Some other versions are more robust with fork stays too.

https://bobbinbikes.com/collections/bas ... on-stripes
jameso

Post by jameso »

Would drilling an existing aluminium fork, say the one off a Sonder Frontier, with the correct hole pattern, and fitting rivnuts, be an option, or a route to loosing all your teeth...?
Not a great idea imho. The holes you'll make would be into ~2.5mm thick Al tubes and mostly in compression. The upper area of a welded fork blade where it curves to the crown is where a fork tends to crease + fold forward if you were to land heavily/flat.
The Nitto type that Stu posted are a far better idea if the fork has mounts for them.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Thule Pack 'n' Pedal?
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

+1 the Thule. I adapted one for the rear of my fatbike, proper sturdy.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

DickieH wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:42 pm +1 the Thule. I adapted one for the rear of my fatbike, proper sturdy.
Ah - slice up the middle? I think I saw that. I'm after a rack for my Nutrail and the only other decent option seems to be a OMM with a Robert Axle. Total cost around £300. Hell, I'd rather just buy a Ti fatbike frame with rack mounts 😅
DickieH

Post by DickieH »

1.jpg
(114.04 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Was easy and effective. Retained top deck but made an ali plate with 8 holes in. Deck sits on the plate and is fixed through the inner holes, and the outer holes screw to the rack frame

I had to make 1 cut, to the tubular frame and widen it, but that sits under the deck so is hidden.

Bonus is that there is still room on the seat stays for a mud hugger and the tail of this can also now be cabletied to the rack frame (which also neatly holds a rear light which is now kept clean)

Really pleased with it.

(I also added a Topeak MTX adaptor on top as shown)
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I've got a Racktime topit on my CX bike. Attaches to mid fork eyelets that were on mine anyway, but would probably go on to some anything cage bolts if your fork has them.

Was about £30