Yeah this really helps ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: Yeah this really helps ...

Post by jameso »

Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:05 pm But done appropriately, under control and safely, a little bit of fire and flame can really add to the evening and experience of being out and about.
IF you understand what appropriately is and it's not shared online among most people who don't, and it's in a place where you have permission, maybe. I'm not saying you don't btw, I don't know. I don't know many bikepackers who carry a spade or a fire pan though : )

I think many of us would agree that sitting around a fire with a beer and chat is a nice evening, but where/how it's done is the debate (which I'll drop out of now).
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nope.
Look at Ray Mears guides to having an LNT fire - it takes a lot of effort and skill which very few will have. Most people leave sites as per Sean's photo (plus a few half burnt beer cans)

I'm with Stu on this one - no fires full stop. No need, too much chance of causing damage. Someone may pop up and say they can and do ensure they completely restore a fire site but the general message should be no fires. We don't all spend a mint on fancy down bags and gear for nothing, so why have a fire. Even up here where we have the excuse of keeping the midges at bay, its still not good enough.

I shall leave a comment on Bikepacking :mrgreen:
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

htrider wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:55 pm Nope.
Look at Ray Mears guides to having an LNT fire - it takes a lot of effort and skill which very few will have. Most people leave sites as per Sean's photo (plus a few half burnt beer cans)

I'm with Stu on this one - no fires full stop. No need, too much chance of causing damage. Someone may pop up and say they can and do ensure they completely restore a fire site but the general message should be no fires. We don't all spend a mint on fancy down bags and gear for nothing, so why have a fire. Even up here where we have the excuse of keeping the midges at bay, its still not good enough.

So you are with Stu, no fires period?

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/

Ooooh, look at those lovely flames :lol:

There is nothing wrong with a small, self-contained and well cared fire
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've already said 'if you want flames get a wood stove' ... do pay attention FFS.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

This isn’t really about fires is it? More like a fishing trip :roll:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:08 pm I've already said 'if you want flames get a wood stove' ... do pay attention FFS.
Hold on, that is exactly what I have said, a small, self-contained appropriate fire is no problem, a small barely contained forest fire is a definite no-no.

Keep up, it wasn't me who said absolutely no fires, it was htrider who said he absolutely no fires, and he was quoting you. Take it up with him FFS
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If a fire is in a stove is that a fire? :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:06 pm
htrider wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:55 pm Nope.

So you are with Stu, no fires period?

https://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/

Ooooh, look at those lovely flames :lol:

There is nothing wrong with a small, self-contained and well cared fire
I guess I'm lucky in that I can sit in front of a fire as part of our conservation work in a controlled environment (even then we often burn brash in a fire trailer rather than on the ground) so I don't feel any need to try an burn anything whilst out on my bikes. I appreciate many don't have that opportunity but its like a lot of things in life. We might wish to make a fire by our bivvy site but its simply not appropriate to do so in the vast majority of circumstances, both for reasons of avoiding damaging ground and also to distance ourselves as far as possible from the twerps who burn all and sundry and leave a load of sh*te behind.. A fire stove should accommodate anyones need (although they still need careful management) so I don't see that this approach is anything that should detract from the enjoyment of bikepacking.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:11 pm This isn’t really about fires is it? More like a fishing trip :roll:
Not just me that thought that then :roll:
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:51 pm
lune ranger wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:11 pm This isn’t really about fires is it? More like a fishing trip :roll:
Not just me that thought that then :roll:
It would appear that way :wink:
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Got a link for that article, I'm not finding it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Got a link for that article, I'm not finding it.
https://bikepacking.com/plan/10-winter- ... ips-video/

.... and well done Phil for getting the image changed.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm good one Bikepacking. Interesting comment about the fact that using deadwood isn't always a good idea as it serves as habitat.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

htrider wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:03 pm ..... Interesting comment about the fact that using deadwood isn't always a good idea as it serves as habitat.
Me neither. Every day's a school day :cool:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

lune ranger wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:00 pm
sean_iow wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:55 pm
Cheddar Man wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:39 pm But people like fire, it's part of that return to basics/outdoorsy experience.
Which is why I've recently bought this for tomorrows Winter Bivi :smile:

Forgive me if I’m stating the bleeding obvious Sean.
Make sure to place the fire box on stone or mud. I love using mine but they get mighty hot and can scorch the ground pretty badly if used without care.
Can I just ask... So not using it on the slabs cos it would ruin them. But then how'd I use it on grass without ruining that. Does the base work that well in stopping scorching on grass, but the heat from the metal would mark the slabs??

Asking cos I wouldn't mind a nuce self contained fire (in the back garden with the kids to hopefully encourage em further in their outdoor pursuits... which I'm not very good at already btw).

On a sidenote... I saw loadsa these outside a village shop of a posh looking village. Wondered how on earth is he gonna sell em all, cos once you've bought one you'll not need another, right...

Few minutes later a lady comes running after parking up her car,grabs it and dashed off to pay. Whats that all about... Is it summat to do with this time of year in posh villages or you reckon she saw the Bikepacking cover pic!
redefined_cycles

Edit: Egen seems to be looking rather happy sat amonst the rest of the scorchers :lol:

Sorry, I do try...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Just perch it on a convenient bit of garden gubbins - brick, flowerpot etc.
The bottom gets hot and scorches grass that’s all. Won’t hurt Sean’s patio!
If it’s for making fire with kids consider a fire bowl or bbq. The fire box stoves are pretty small and not exactly suited for sitting around and getting a pyro fix.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:46 pm Just perch it on a convenient bit of garden gubbins - brick, flowerpot etc.
The bottom gets hot and scorches grass that’s all. Won’t hurt Sean’s patio!
If it’s for making fire with kids consider a fire bowl or bbq. The fire box stoves are pretty small and not exactly suited for sitting around and getting a pyro fix.
Thanks Luke...
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Or keep the fire right off the ground?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Emersom-Portab ... 9258882233
RIP

Post by RIP »

If one must, Honey stove on foil pastry tray (re-use). Can't see why one would need anything bigger. As Bridget will testify, Honey good for cooking.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I used to on the fence about fires when in sensible places until I saw first hand the damage they cause.
I’d followed a river across Exmoor, nice trail, I aimed for a spot marked on the map as the site of a medieval village, as often the case I turned out to be a perfect spot. It was marred by a 2ft crater, a fire had sterilised the soil and the now dead substrate had then eroded to a depth of 2 inches, judging by the moss which was attempting to encroach in the now hostile environment it would be many, many years before it repaired itself.
I gave it a helping hand by transferring some soil from rabbit scrapings.
I wonder if the people who enjoyed the fire realised the long term damage, perhaps many people just don’t and think it’s just being a killjoy?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

I’ve just never seen the pint in having fire when we’re not really supposed to be kipping where we do it’s just saying look I’m here and doing something I really shouldn’t be and leaving a dirty mess on the ground
The worst I’ve seen was right outside Nant Rhys Bothy last year when myself and the young fella had a ride down there , if you want flames in a bothy there’s a bleedin wood fire inside :roll:
And before someone gets self righteous about the picture Reg put up of my flames from a 8g meths stove , it was a stove that I’d slightly over filled and the flames were coming from the little tin base I put underneath it :lol:
Everything we do in life has a counter reaction somewhere down the line and I’d hate for something that I’ve done would give cause that my kids and grand kids won’t have the same opportunity to get out and enjoy their hobbies
There great debate in the climbing fraternity about ethics in trad climbing which can get very petty but ruining the freedom to kip outside just because some self centred arse wants a fire is something we /all outdoors people should be ethical about