Best trail / multitool of all time?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Best trail / multitool of all time?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I bought my nephew a Topeak Mini 20 for Christmas and while I was wrapping it (badly), I was recalling just how many times mine has pulled me from the mire over the years. It's never missed a beat and has always done what was asked of it.

In my mind, it's the perfect companion but obviously, I haven't tried every tool there is. This isn't FB, I won't say 'X is the best tool ever, end of' or 'buy Z it's better than anything else' because unless you have personally tried every tool ever manufactured, how do you know? ... anyway, that's just a pet-hate, so what's your favourite tool of all time?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ssnowman

Re: Best trail / multitool of all time?

Post by ssnowman »

Crank Bros multi tool for me. Not sure whether it's the 17 or 19, but I've had it years and it still works perfectly.
May satan walk with you
ton

Post by ton »

topeak alien. think mine might be nearly 20 years old. still all good.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Crank Brothers M19 for me. Although I do have a hankering to try one of the mini ratchets and bits.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Topeak Alien. I bought it <cough> decades (literally) ago and have never bothered with anything else as it always did pretty much everything I needed. Bit of a weighty beast (like its owner):wink:

That Mini 20 does look nice though :ugeek:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That Mini 20 does look nice though
The only thing that's perhaps not up to much is the tyre lever - you'd not be getting a TrailBlazer off a WTB rim with it :wink:
psling

Post by psling »

Bikes have changed over the years; I still have an original Cool Tool, an old Topeak Hexus and an old Topeak X Tool but none of them have a T25 for example. More recently I have a Mineral Designs Mini Bar which is very useful though I mostly just sit and look at it.
Favourite? Probably the X Tool because it is simple and does no more than I need (I have always carried a separate chain tool so any on a multi tool is excess weight for me). The Cool Tools were, well... cool though :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
SeannyD

Post by SeannyD »

Topeak Alien too :-bd
chris n

Post by chris n »

My favourite was the WTB chain pup. Not that practical but oh so cute.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I always wanted a cool tool!

I have a few, generally carried on/by different bikes.

Crank Brothers M19 on my MTB. Has a tiny bit of surface rust and the anodised coating has rubbed off. Still completely functional though
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Topeak Mini 20 Pro, is that the same as the 20?

Bought for the Spearfish as the SRAM PF30 cranks require a 10mm hex bit to tighten them up. Admittedly I won't be removing the bolt with just the leverage of a multitool, nor will I be able to do it up to the required torque, but if the bolt did come loose* at least I could get it tighter than just with my fingers.

It was the only multitool I could find with the 10mm bit, it's a really well thought out item.

*As I have a tool to fit the bolt it is guaranteed not to loosen :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Topeak Mini 20 Pro, is that the same as the 20?
I think so.
Al

Post by Al »

Anyone remember the Finishline chain pup? Was gutted when I lost mine.

Edit:
chris n wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:34 pm My favourite was the WTB chain pup. Not that practical but oh so cute.
Whoops 😬 going senile.
Last edited by Al on Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scud

Post by Scud »

Always really liked these, found it good for bikepacking as it has a lock blade on it, plus all the allen keys come off making it a lot easier to reach awkward places and good chain tool that works and metal hook for holding the two ends of the chain, coupled with a chinese copy of the Wolftooth chain pliers with spare links in, makes a comprehensive kit:

https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/waysi ... ulti-tool/
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

It’s toss up between crankbros m19 and a Pro Bike Tool mini ratchet. The former covers pretty much everything I can fix myself while the latter is really nice to use.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Best EVER?
Has to be the one and only Cool Tool.... not :lol:

I have a very reliable Park I-Beam T3 which I made perfect for my needs by swapping the Phillips no.2 for a Torx T20 so I could work on my Rohloff if it ever went wrong.... still waiting to use it in the field after 20years :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I spotted those the other week Luke but the price was a bit off-putting.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

A bit !!!
ripio

Post by ripio »

Cool Tool.
Been using mine for nearly 30 years and it still comes in handy on a regular basis.
An updated version would be a great idea.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:42 pm I spotted those the other week Luke but the price was a bit off-putting.
Too right.
Not really sure how much use the link pliers are in the field anyway.
If your chain breaks you can add a quick link with no tools. If you need to alter your chain length for a broken derailleur or whatever you still need a chain tool. So even though I’ve used a chain tool away from home maybe 2 or 3 times in my life I’ll continue to carry a chain breaker.
Mountain biking in Nepal 25years ago my Nate snapped a chain when we were at the start of the Annapurna circuit trek. Even though we had 3 chain tools in county we managed not to have one with us. A dude in a village fixed it by cutting and perming over a nail. The fix got us back to Pokhara nicely :-bd
WSC
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Topeak mini 20 for me too. Replaced an alien which was better as it had longer allen keys but it was a lump whereas the mini 20 has all the stuff I need and weighs a chunk less. Only hassles was tightening up the EBB on the jones. I had to take it apart and use the 4mm allen key separately with my leatherman pliers for leverage
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:02 pm Only hassles was tightening up the EBB on the jones. I had to take it apart and use the 4mm allen key separately with my leatherman pliers for leverage
When I used to ride my Genesis with a Bushnell EBB I carried a 4mm allen key as a multi tool just didn't have the reach or the leverage.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:10 pm
htrider wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:02 pm Only hassles was tightening up the EBB on the jones. I had to take it apart and use the 4mm allen key separately with my leatherman pliers for leverage
When I used to ride my Genesis with a Bushnell EBB I carried a 4mm allen key as a multi tool just didn't have the reach or the leverage.
Herein lies the problem with multi tools. Sometimes you can’t even get the tool into the place you need it.
When I’ve done multi week/month trips where being able to fix the bike is critical compared to weight or compactness I always carried a carefully curated selection of real tools.
WSC
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

For me ots this lovely thing. Bought it from a local engineering okace after a mate came with SRAM and I hadn't an 8. About 10 years old now and along with the mini parktoolz chain splitter, its ace...

Proper precision fit but probably a bit worn now..