Always fancied a Cumulus quilt, just struck me that ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Always fancied a Cumulus quilt, just struck me that ...

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

... with the end of the transition period remarkably close, should I buy one (from them in Poland)? I can only imagine prices, taxes and everything else is going to go up and become remarkably more awkward for the foreseeable future.

I seem to remember the answer to "which one?" being the 250. Any thoughts?

Sleep middling warm and usually in some combination of merino / synthetic base layers (top and bottom) plus old git socks and a hat. Variety of synthetic and down insulated mats already possessed. 3 seasons use in the UK.

My UKhammocks TQ is still going strong but the Cumulus ones just seem a little *better* (lighter, more compact, cut, some of the design / build quality a bit better / slicker etc). Plus there's just a bit of gear hankering and you rarely see anything negative about them (which suggests good gear that gets the job done).

Talk me out of it, valid my logic and choices, tell me I'm wrong, throw in your random opinions and insults. Whatever :cool:
sean_iow

Re: Always fancied a Cumulus quilt, just struck me that ...

Post by sean_iow »

I've got a 150 and if I was buying again I'd get the 250.

I'm in the same quandary, I really want a Climalite Full Zip jacket and was also thinking that I should order it now as it's only likely to get more expensive after Jan 1st.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I used the 250 up near Karls at the highest point there. It was a bit nippy out but a comfy nights sleep. Sold that and got the posh Tundra with around 400 fill to manage the winter weather. I really help but feel I took a massive downstep. If I were to buy again I'd go for a 350 personally...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

CM... I'd say, just buy it. But from someqhere local like UL or somewhere as you might get a slight better value.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I have a 250 which I use maybe 2 months of the year....
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I'd check with them that they'll continue to ship to the UK - quite a few companies have stated that they'll stop doing so due to changes in VAT rules on our (UK) side.

I've the 150 (got it to augment a PHD summer bag for autumn and winter) but I use it for ITTs during summer. Cath's got the 350 which is pretty warm - she's used it at -6C. I'm a fairly warm sleeper, I'm close to the limit rating, and I find the quoted ratings about right.

If I got one for general use I'd go with the 250, not really that much heavier or bulkier than the 150. Ours are the old style with a sewn footbox, the newer style is closer to that used by the Enlightened Equipment Revelation and you could use it as an underquilt (I've a Cumulus UQ as well).
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Karl

Post by Karl »

I have the 150 and 250. 250 for 2-3 season comfort. 150 for racing and wanting to suffering "summer" conditions in Scotland. I use them in winter with a Vango Force 10 Catalyst 250 Down Sleeping Bag. If I was buying just 1 quilt I'd buy the 250.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've got the 250, it's a very good all-rounder. Used it in the southern med in summer and wasn't too hot, used it in British winter and wasn't too cold. When I've been out knowing it was likely to be properly cold overnight I've doubled up with a summer bag or a thicker liner and still been fine.

If you're taller than six foot I'd consider getting a custom one made with an extra baffle - mine's slightly too short.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I got the 150 and it's seen me good to about 4deg with a base layer on.
The only thing I don't like is the cord on the back but the kind people at enlightened sent me some of their retention straps to modify it.
Brilliant quilts, better than the enlightened equivalent quilts(strap excluded).
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Bear in mind that if it doesn't get into the country by Jan 1st and no deal is struck you could get hit with 20% import tariff as well as a brokerage fee which makes it very pricy.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:03 pm CM... I'd say, just buy it. But from someqhere local like UL or somewhere as you might get a slight better value.
Not looked very hard but didn't find anyone with one and not cheaper than direct sales. R&R had the 150 but not 250. BckCountry no stock and UL didn't list them. Not sure what my options there are Shaf.
I have a 250 which I use maybe 2 months of the year....
An interesting statement but so lacking in useful detail as to be bugger all use man!
If you're taller than six foot I'd consider getting a custom one made with an extra baffle
That certainly won't be a problem I'll encounter :lol:

As for whether they'll ship it and the risks come 01 Jan, only one way to resolve that - just buy it :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a 150 and a 350. I've used the 150 in some pretty cool conditions and survived - it's warmer than you might imagine. The 350 is a good all rounder though and if I was only having the one quilt, this would perhaps be it. I am a big fan of the Sierra Designs quilts too - bit roomier than an off the shelf Cumulus and some nice design touches.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a 250. Works well during the middle part of the year around these parts. Adding in my MH sleeping bag, the combo then works for the rest.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:24 pm Bear in mind that if it doesn't get into the country by Jan 1st and no deal is struck you could get hit with 20% import tariff as well as a brokerage fee which makes it very pricy.
That's my understanding too - and the ports are already backed up due to retailers stockpiling in advance.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I like the Sierra Designs stuff and was tempted when they were on Sports Pursuit a while ago. However (I think) I concluded they were a bit heavier and bulkier. £ for £ the Cumulus also seems one of the best value (risks aside).
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Escape Goat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:04 pm I have a 250 which I use maybe 2 months of the year....
I have the 250 and use it around 4 to 5 months a year

But my 450 is my go to Quilt for the another 4 to 5 months.

Then I double bag them for winter here in the UK (lowlands)
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I like to be toasty :)

Cumulus 350 most of the year 450 from Nov to March April ish.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:24 pm Bear in mind that if it doesn't get into the country by Jan 1st and no deal is struck you could get hit with 20% import tariff as well as a brokerage fee which makes it very pricy.
Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving :sad:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

John / Goat - would you say you're cold sleepers?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I was thinking about the import issue the other day. When you buy something from outside the EU, you don't pay local sales tax on it (unless I've misunderstood) but you should pay import duty (and any associated handling fees) when it comes into this country, unless it's below the value limit, or a gift.

I've ordered quite a few things from outside the EU and only got stung for the duty once or twice.

Come January, will this apply to the EU too? So in theory anything that comes in the post from Europe has to be checked at customs? If that's the case, there must be a much bigger volume of stuff going through customs, whose resources will already be stretched, than at present. My guess is that the smaller stuff, which is only going to attract few £ of duty will just get let through since they don't have the space to store the massive backlog that would result. I could be way off with this - but would that situation actually make it cheaper for us to buy stuff from the EU?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:10 pm
Brexit, the gift that keeps on giving :sad:
Indeed. So far all it’s made me do is spend more money in the EU than I would have in anticipation of the upcoming clusterf##k :-bd
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Gut feel - Govt is going to want every penny it can get following Covid, furlough and Brexit. I imagine they'll be after everything.

Pessimist, me :roll:

Oh, and I almost invariably get hit for import from US. Just ask Taylor :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Borderer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:07 pm
That's my understanding too - and the ports are already backed up due to retailers stockpiling in advance.
There's a couple of things going on: Felixstowe is the UK's biggest container port and they've had some systems glitches which has meant that some trucks arriving to pick up containers haven't been able to - they can't enter the port without authorisation for a specific slot to pick up their load. This has meant that there's lots of containers in the port blocking things. Combined with that is a general disruption to supply chains worldwide due to Covid so ships and containers aren't where they are meant to be. So the ships that should be docking at Felixstowe are diverting to Rotterdam and elsewhere to unload, too expensive for them to be sat at anchor waiting for a berth. Those goods then have to make their way to the UK via other ports.

At which point they join the mess due to the general stockpiling going on by distributors and retail chains here.

I ordered a Cumulus underquilt from a Belgium store at the beginning of July and it took four weeks to reach me. An order from the States just a couple of weeks ago took only three days.

Really not sure about when tariffs will be applied, I've heard:

1. Goods with an order/shipping date prior to 1st Jan won't have tariffs or VAT applied.
2. Any goods arriving from 1st Jan onwards will/may have tariffs/VAT applied.
3. Whether there's a deal or not there'll be a six month period of grace.

I guess we'll just end up with the tariff lottery that we currently have with goods from the States. Any personal goods under £135 in value (including postage and insurance) is exempt.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

whitestone wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:49 pm Any personal goods under £135 in value (including postage and insurance) is exempt.
I think that's changing and VAT will charged on all items regardless of value from Jan 1st, this is from anywhere. I'm sure I had an email from a supplier to this effect. The VAT can be collected by the sender to speed the process through customs, I've had this for car parts from the USA before where the sender collected all the duty.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I got mine from Rock n Run at a good price - save all that import hassle?