What capacity battery pack do you use?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

What capacity battery pack do you use?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just wondering - those who use battery packs / power banks for their charging requirements, what capacity do you use and how much do you get from it?

No need to say what model or make it is.

Ta.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scud

Re: What capacity battery pack do you use?

Post by Scud »

For a weekend i tend to use on the smaller 5200mAH one, that allows me to charge phone and Wahoo computer overnight and top up light if needed, i'd say it was equivalent of 2 full charges of my iphone 11.

For an extended trip like Torino-Nice i had a big 20,000mAH one, this topped up phone, Wahoo and Joystick light for first 5-6 days, equivalent of about 5-6 full Iphone charges, if that makes sense.. but they are the weight of a small brick..
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've 5000mAh, 10000mAh & 20,000mAh batteries. Tend to use the 10,000mAh ones, usually a couple then there's a little bit of redundancy should one fail.

I'll get about four to five charges of the Oregon from one of the 10,000mAh batteries just depends how much I've depleted the batteries in the Oregon.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jobro

Post by jobro »

For overnighters I use a cheap lipstick 5000mAh that will charge the phone and top up the Garmin.
For anything longer I use an 20,000mAh Anker power bank.
Currently I carry a plug and lead for the Anker and try and recharge at any cafe, pub I go in. I am interested in Solar charging the Anker for more remote and longer trips if anyone has any experience of what works (apologies for hijack)
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

I use a 5200 mAh one for most stuff. But I only use it for my phone as my etrex uses AAs...

jobro wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:38 pm I am interested in Solar charging the Anker for more remote and longer trips if anyone has any experience of what works (apologies for hijack)
Would a dynamo provide a more reliable power source in the UK? My experience of solar cells is that the numbers quoted are for ideal situations and these are far from what is realistic in the field (or in a field)
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've used a 10000mAh one for trips up to 4-5 days. I've considered getting a 5000mAh one for overnighters and day trips but in no rush since it's just a saving of 120g or so. If I went on a longer trip I'd get a second 10000mAh one.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

3300 lipstick ( gives one full recharge on a Sony Experia) for overnighters although I did use to hike from Mexico to Canada too .

10000 for longer trips, but I'm only using it to charge my phone.

When I set off on my big trip this year I took 2 x 10,000 and a Voltaic 10W solar charger
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

jobro wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:38 pm For overnighters I use a cheap lipstick 5000mAh that will charge the phone and top up the Garmin.
For anything longer I use an 20,000mAh Anker power bank.
Currently I carry a plug and lead for the Anker and try and recharge at any cafe, pub I go in. I am interested in Solar charging the Anker for more remote and longer trips if anyone has any experience of what works (apologies for hijack)
I used a small 5W Renogy solar panel to charge an Anker 3300mAh battery when hiking. It worked great in the blazing sun of New Mexico but died after a few weeks. ( may have got wet during a rain shower)

I've limited experience of using the Voltaic 10W panel to charge 10,000mAh power banks . I'd generally set it up at lunchtime and rarely ride with it mounted on the bike but when Covid is over I'll be setting off with the same ser-up again.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Depends what I'm doing.

These days I usually will take a Nitecore F1 and then as many 18650 cells as I think I'll need. Sometimes 1 on a short trip, sometimes more if I'm going to use my phone a lot.

Generally only used for charging my phone
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

200k audax/full day out, 5aH to charge phone and GPS (multiplied by two for weekends, etc)

Week in Morocco, 2x 20ah to charge phone, GPS & Lights

For more than a couple of days away I'd also pack a charger.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

packs are ~13,000mAh
a good balance of weight, price, capacity, and packability

for a simple over nighter take one
for a typical trip take two
and for longer trips away from mains take three

prefer multiple smaller packs compared with one larger pack for redundancy, and it is generally quicker to recharge two smaller packs that one larger pack.

anker now have a 10,000mAh pack that has USB-C PD fast charging
very interesting
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Folk needing a battery pack for day/one nighters - I assume you are using your phone as your GPS?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:56 pm Folk needing a battery pack for day/one nighters - I assume you are using your phone as your GPS?
Yes. Running Ridewithgps plus taking a handfull of pictures uses about 50% of my phone battery and i tend to listen to a couple of hours of music in the tent.
FLV

Post by FLV »

For overnight, nowt.

Intermittent use of phone as camera, music, better map than my GPS screen, book at night on the app. WiFi mode the rest of the time.
Goes for 2 days no probs.

I use an etrex for nav in that case (edge for shorter trips).

Longer trips where I know there is scarce chance of charging, 5200 one.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I used to use a single 5300mAh for short trips with 2 on longer trips (purely for redundancy).
Combined with a SON dynamo and Igaro charger this gives me pretty much unlimited power for my modest needs - Edge gps (or Etrex depending on trip), iPhone, radio (longer trips only) and Joystick (doubles as head torch with a strap). Main bike lights are of course dynamo powered.
On really long trips I add a small solar panel that connects via the Igaro and tops everything up. This is especially useful on short riding days or days with no riding at all.
Recently I’ve used a proprietary Garmin battery Power Pack. 3100mAh I think. Expensive but the integration with Edge computers is vaguely exciting.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC