Trek 1120

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Trek 1120

Post by Boab »

Anyone got any thoughts on the Trek 1120...? As much as I fancy building up a Sonder Frontier to my spec, or buying another fat bike, I keep finding myself on the Trek website looking at the 1120. Yes, it doesn't have a dynamo front hub. Yes, it's rather spendy. But there is just something about it that has lodged itself in my brain. Just wondering if anyone has tried one, there doesn't seem much chatter about them in the search results...?

It doesn't have a dynamo front hub, which is about the only negative thing I can think of at this point. Other than it's about a grand over my imaginary budget.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
robbie

Re: Trek 1120

Post by robbie »

Not tried one but have a stache for sale in the classified with the 1120 fork and rack fitted.
The 1120 was just an update on the stache :-bd
Scud

Post by Scud »

They are around £2400 for complete bike or you can get frameset for £700, so leaves a lot to spec your own build?

If you have a fat bike already, why not have a 29+ set of wheels for that, and spend some nice money on custom racks for that? i have full fat and 29+ for Beargrase and works well..
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

https://bikepacking.com/bikes/trek-1120-review/

I looked at one of these before getting my ECR. I remeber reading several comments and forum threads about broken frames. This was in early 2018. Hopefully the issue has been sorted.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I have a set of 29er wheels on low drag tyres and it makes the fat very fast on XC and long distance rides even when loaded up.
Boab

Post by Boab »

robbie wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:08 pm Not tried one but have a stache for sale in the classified with the 1120 fork and rack fitted.
The 1120 was just an update on the stache :-bd
I did see that, but I wont be in a position to do anything until March...
Scud wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:10 pm They are around £2400 for complete bike or you can get frameset for £700, so leaves a lot to spec your own build?

If you have a fat bike already, why not have a 29+ set of wheels for that, and spend some nice money on custom racks for that? i have full fat and 29+ for Beargrase and works well..
I didn't realise you could get it as a frameset, although they don't have it on their website and all the photos onine show it without a fork. I did have a fat bike, but I cracked the frame. I replaced it with a gravel bike, but I need something a bit burlier.
Boab

Post by Boab »

woodsmith wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:11 pm https://bikepacking.com/bikes/trek-1120-review/

I looked at one of these before getting my ECR. I remeber reading several comments and forum threads about broken frames. This was in early 2018. Hopefully the issue has been sorted.
Ouch, you'd like to think that wouldn't be an issue with an AL frame...
dlovett wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:12 pm I have a set of 29er wheels on low drag tyres and it makes the fat very fast on XC and long distance rides even when loaded up.
That certainly one of the options I'm entertaining, and I'd love an Ice Cream Truck or Beargrease.
javatime

Post by javatime »

dlovett wrote:
"I have a set of 29er wheels on low drag tyres and it makes the fat very fast on XC and long distance rides even when loaded up".

What tyres, and what size would that be please.